Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

He was brilliant

2 Likes

The game is on YouTube, 3-6 I think he scored from play

He had an average all Ireland final v Galway . A Conor O Donovan gave an exhibition for Galway .

A real travesty that Flynn only got the one all star. He was as good as any forward in the game for the bones of a decade

5 Likes

My favourite hurler. He was unreal.

There was a real aura around Flynn. His reputation preceeded him. Everyone knew about his exploits underage.

He was a beautiful hurler but spent a lot of his career carrying weight which probably prevented him reaching his full potential. A bit like Joe Canning

He also had that same look in his eyes that euegene cloonan had ā€¦ youā€™d know he could split you in two if mood took him ā€¦

Iā€™d struggle to think of a time he played a dirty stroke. He got sent off one time against Limerick around 2003 but my memory is that his head wrapped in a bloody bandage so he probably retaliated after getting a dirty blow from a Limerick back, though in saying that I should acknowledge that the Limerick back was not that kind of player.

As regards @binkybarnes point about the weight my recollection was that he was asthmatic and training was a struggle for him.

11 Likes

I donā€™t know about that. He fairly carried the Waterford forwards from the late 90s up to about 2004. He then struggled for form and fitness when Mullane and Shanahan finally started to find a bit of consistency.

You see the list of players Arse Towel Fogarty put together and to have the likes of Brick Walsh and Dan Shanahan ahead of Flynn as great players never to win an A/I is an awful insult to Flynn who was by far the better hurler.

12 Likes

The eyes never lie ā€¦

Oh yeah?

1 Like

I did say he was a great player and miles ahead of Dan or Brick. Iā€™d also heard he was asthmatic and Iā€™m sure that didnā€™t help his fitness levels

1 Like

He was also known as snackbox which may have had something to do with his fitness levels.

2 Likes

:joy::joy:

Flynn is my favourite Waterford hurler, what he could do with a ballā€¦magic. The one All Star is an injustice

4 Likes

When you realise who selects All Stars since the great Mick Dunne passed on, you realise that theyā€™re only a cod

Who / what is Waterfordā€™s plan after the inevitable Cahill and Co exit?

Have to give the u21 mgr from 2016 a go

Heā€™s gone back to the underage system.

Canā€™t see him ever getting a look in. He has not even got a go at the senior gig at his own club Mount Sion.

1 Like