Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Didnā€™t start in 09. Paul Curran and Saint were the corner backs.

1 Like

Cahill didnā€™t feature until 2010 along with Bonner and Gearoid Ryan.

1 Like

Have a look online there and see who has scored most from play against Limerick this year and tell me that Tipp are irrelevant.

Tipp need a good shake up and new voices. All that will improve them undoubtedly but whether itā€™s enough to beat LK in their current guise is questionable.

1 Like

Sorry, you are right. Him, Bonner and Gearoid Ryan all came in 2010

Gearoid Ryan came on v Limerick in 09

Thatā€™s nothing to do with anything. When Limerick decided, tipp were shut down. Every time tipp have met Limerick in a meaningful game in recent years Limerick have ate them. Tipp havenā€™t even managed to lay down a marker on Limerick in the league. Thatā€™s just the facts of it. Tipp are not relevant now. They need at least five new starters and a new game plan and after that they need at least two years to develop it. Waterford are further down the road than tipp. They have more of the building blocks in place. Thatā€™s just where they are now and how Iā€™d see the next year or two. Tipp will come again, they always do.

1 Like

The gap between underage and winning the Liam Mc has never been higher in history. Liam Sheedy made his judgement call on the Tipp younger brigade and looking at Cork lads of the same age who had 3/4 yrs senior experience going down in flames I suspect heā€™ll be proven right.

All conjexture. You only find out if lads are up to it by actually playing them. Sheedy was never going to ā€˜retireā€™ any senior players as they soldier too long together. That loyalty is totally understandable. There was no incentive for him to build for furure as he was never going to be around.

@carryharry nailed it. New voice, modern tactics and some fresh faces are required.

3 Likes

The young lads coming through across the board are absolutely miles behind what went before them.

About 11 or 12 under 21ā€™s were starting Championship hurling in Munster in 2016. Its fallen to 2 this year and Barrett from Cork only started once. (Aidan McCarthy is the other) It was the same last year.

Hurling despite being a ā€˜young mans game and suitable for studentsā€™ is in crisis across the country from about Under 25 down.

Change from u21 to u20 is pretty significant. Cork will have a good few u21s starting next year.

Eh, Tipp drew with Limerick in the opening league fixture & put up a serious score on Limerick in the opening half of the championship ( admittedly shit pants thereafter ).
Not too bad for a crowd needing a new game plan & 5 new starters.

There is a fair argument to be made that Tipp probably troubled Limerick as much as any team at the championship stages regardless of the end scores.

You really are making a dunce of yourself if you think Cahill would think sticking with Waterford over his own being a better option.

1 Like

Tipp lost by five points. Thatā€™s the closest anyone got to Limerick this year on the final scoreboard. Every other game Limerick played in championship this year was over by half time. The Tipp one could have been over by half time but the other way around :see_no_evil:

1 Like

We used to post shite like that in the old days. Moral victories.

3 Likes

Not worth a shit in a dustbin for sure but the truth is Tipp troubled Limerick as much as any other side ( that they faced in Championship ) this year.

Glas will be on soon about League games Iā€™m sure.

Moral victories is all thatā€™s left for the rest now, such is the dominance of Limerick. Tipperary are cleaning up in the moral victories stakes.

1 Like

Limerick had been together a few days before the league game. They had nothing done while Sheedy was up clapping at the boys at 6am for a couple of months at that pointā€¦ Tipp were good in the MF - but Limerick were way off it first half - They went up one gear and Tipp collapsed.

Waterford came out decided for the 4th game in 3 weeks they were gonna blow everything they had in the first 20 mins

Cork set up to let Limerick do as they wanted and a lot of young heads dropped fairly early ā€¦

Itā€™s hard to judge where Limerick and others are really at.

So youā€™re bigging up a draw against a Limerick team barely back from holidays now? See what I mean by not laying down a marker?

There is no argument to be made that tipp troubled Limerick. They havenā€™t in three years now.

Cahill may well decide to go to tipp and Iā€™m sure he will improve them massively, but my view is Waterford have a more promising group of players and more to build on for the next year or two.

I donā€™t really understand why you are getting so pissy about it, Waterford are a very good team.

2 Likes

Are you suggesting Limerick panellist had no training done in the off season?

I havenā€™t degraded Waterford at all, you are soiling your knickers believing a man born & bred in Tipperary, who has worn the jersey and managed underage teams to titles would be a fool to leave Waterford for his own County.

You need to lay off the Kool-Aid there buddy and stick to the Smash Burgers.

Changing your tune now are you? I offered my opinion that Waterford have more chance of beating Limerick over the next two years than tipp. Youā€™ve been hopping up and down about it for some reason.

ā€œBut but we drew with Limerick in the league!ā€

Laughable stuff.