Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Dungarvan beat Fourmilewater today handy enough. Patrick Curran good for Dungarvan. Jamie Barron and Conor Gleeson desperate for FMW.

Amazing to think Derek will be back.

Depressing to think he will be back.

Agree, I think they were probably in their prime when he had them the way hurling has gone and it wasnā€™t enough.

Perhaps heā€™ll have learned from mistakes in the past?

But like Davy, imo he will fall back to what apparently worked before in the end. Difference though is Davy had success with his method

1 Like

Yeah, I was looking at a few of his panels there the other evening and jesus they had bloody good players. One of those, he has some excellent qualities but a few or his I spose cornerstone philosophies are too negative, especially when youā€™d killers like Gleeson, Barron Bennetts and distributers like TDB. I wouldnā€™t mind if he got it as twould be box office.

Without a fully functioning TdB I donā€™t think his past ideology can work. Heā€™d have to change tact

1 Like

Have you seen the Laois minors this year?

2 Likes

Saw bits of Leinster Final. He seemed to play 2 upfront?

Same as watching his Waterford.

2 Likes

I think my point in relation to Davy holds water so.

I think heā€™s surely pragmatic enough to know he would have to change tactics. Itā€™s okay with a minor team with no real pressure or expectations on them to make a real game plan work but it only got them so far too in reality.

Twas cat to watch

2 Likes

Ballygunner beginning their campaign for a record equalling 9 in a row in a few minutes now against Passage.

Patrick Fitzgerald named in the subs.

Give a rundown there of the numerous players on both sides missing due to the scheduling of the match in July

Run off back to the Tipperary Hurling thread with youā€™re sneery Iā€™m alright Jack view of the world.

The Waterford County Board have waited 9-10 weeks since Waterford exited the Championship on 22 May before starting the County Championships (across all grades) because they knew that if they did otherwise and played them across June and July, there would be mass absentees. Thereā€™s no teams getting knocked out in round robin stages so itā€™s late August before thereā€™s a championship match of any consequence, like it always has been.

The fact that club football players in Waterford wonā€™t have had any matches in almost 5 months when the club football championship gets under way in late September/early October will be of little concern to the split season zealots, like yourself.

How many lads are Ballygunner and Passage missing?

What does club football players not having matches in 5 months have to do with the split season?

You said it was great that there was a 10 week hiatus between Waterford ending their championship campaign on 22 May and the start of the club championship on the August bank holiday.

Phil Fanningā€™s piece in the Waterford News and Star highlights the absolute chaos that this split season has caused in Waterford with walkovers in the county leagues that such a radical moving of the calendar has brought about.

Why did you hail the split season as great for Waterford from your ivory tower in Tipperary?

It actually says the reason for the walkovers is because clubs would rather prepare by playing challenge games and that there is no penalty for giving a walkover

1 Like

Was only saying above, itā€™s disgraceful that clubs first teams in Division 1-3 are giving walkovers.

This has nothing to do with the split season.

1 Like

1-19 to 1-7 to the Gunners.