Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

You claimed the players were against it, nothing about delegates, who haven’t nominated anyone else despite their apparent objections

A bullshitter will bullshit…

1 Like

The game needs Davy.

1 Like

Correct. The players are not happy at all about this appointment and why would they be. Davy’s record in inter-county management across 14 seasons is very underwhelming. As I’ve said already, Waterford have appeared in 13 All Ireland semi finals in the 20 years back to 2002. Only Kilkenny have appeared in more.
There’s very little about Davy to suggest that he’ll take Waterford to the next level and deliver an All Ireland.

Never go back they say

Davy needs to get Dan the Man and Mullane on his back room team

I think this is a post we’ll be coming back to in the fullness of time.
I’d advise lads to bookmark it for future reference.

The selection committee looks like a good line up who would have Waterford’s best interests at heart.

Hard to believe they would recommend Davy if there is such staunch objections from both the player group and the club delegates.

1 Like

Players had very little leverage, some of that of their own making too. They’ve seen off the last two managers, Patsy Fanning and Liam Cahill in just under three years and plenty of mutterings of too much player power.

With the most common consensus that the flatness of Waterford in the Championship this year was down to overtraining and players flogged to death on the training field, maybe a dose of Davy and Irelands Fittest Family is what’s needed.

1 Like

Best to toddle along now, games up

Was Cahill seen off, or was it a case that the Tipp job was too good an offer for him to refuse?

Common sense on show here.

Players effectively downed tools, the loss to limerick killed them but it was the manager & coaches fault you see.

I’ve nothing against the Waterford lads but blaming Cahill is a cheap excuse.

When Tipp were meeting Kilkenny on the 00’s there was an excuse. This or that etc.

Bottom line back then was Kilkenny worked harder to be that good, Limerick do the same.

2 Likes

I think the operative phrase with Davy and Waterford is “short term”. Either he gets something big out of them in the first year or it doesn’t happen at all.

Given that Waterford have failed three times now to get out of the round robin, just getting through that, even in third place, would be a massive psychological hurdle crossed and might release them to produce their best in the knockout stages.

It was really damning for Cahill that Waterford’s flop against Cork came after a 22 day break. You should be flying at that stage, not nosediving, even with a limited panel.

If they don’t get out of the round robin next year I think they’d then be as well to cut their losses immediately.

Is the second year not usually Davy’s most successful?

Cahill was done after he threw the players under the bus (not for the first time) after the defeat to Cork in Walsh Park. The performance from Waterford in Ennis the week after was that from a manager who’d lost the dressing room. Cahill did make conciliatory noises after that as it was apparent that his stock had plummeted. There was a long impasse then and then it became apparent there was regime change in Tipperary and he was off like a shot when the vacancy appeared.

Backtracking, you told us the other day the players wouldn’t accept Davy. We can’t believe anything you say anymore you’ve been found out to be a spoofer.

In fairness to Davy he seems to have learned and developed as a manager as he has gone along. I don’t think he is the same manager who wore out that Clare team after 2013. I still think Derek would have been a much better fit. But maybe Davy has learned enough to know to work to bring a bit of enjoyment into it.

Trouble with Waterford is that eventually every manager will lose the dressingroom.

The players looked like they had downed tools in that Cork game as well, it was as anaemic a display as I can remember from a side who’s season was on the line.

Is it the contention that the players had been flogged in training before the Cork game on the assumption they would make it out of Munster, with a view to peaking for the AI series?

2020 and 2021 with Wexford were a disaster. The Cork camogie crowd were very underwhelmed by his performance in 2022. That’s not much of a body of recent work to be bringing to his latest posting.

I’d be genuinely interested in exactly what Waterford did in training this year and the intensity of it versus what Limerick or Kilkenny did

1 Like