Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Davy’s results in Wexford don’t bear that out. Defeats of 9, 9 and 13 points to Galway. Three dismal losses to Clare in 2018, 20, 21 and a very tame quarter final loss to Waterford in 2017. 5 losses from 5 against Munster opposition.

His immediate predecessor in Wexford, Liam Dunne dethroned Clare as All Ireland Champions in 2014, best Waterford in 2014 and recorded a first Championship win over Cork in 60 years in 2016.

I think Davy actually did quite well with Waterford first time around when you consider that generation were declining and a kind of a Dads army effort towards the end of his tenure there. Delivered at least a semi-final every year iirc.

Assuming Limerick are near certainties to advance from Munster next year then it means at least 1 of the new managers in Munster will be knocked out early. If Brian Lohan and Clare go well again then that would only increase the pressure on Ryan, Cahill and Davy.

I’m full on certain Cork will piss through the Munster round robin next year. Hard to see Limerick miss out so that would leave one spot between the other three.

A good guess at the fixture schedule can be made by looking at the patterns of previous years. If the patterns of previous years hold it should be something like this:

Week 1
Waterford v Limerick
Clare v Tipperary

Week 2
Clare v Cork
Tipperary v Limerick

Week 3
Cork v Waterford
Limerick v Clare

Week 4
Cork v Tipperary
Waterford v Clare

Week 5
Tipperary v Waterford
Limerick v Cork

1 Like

It doesn’t bode particularly well when the county chairman publically appeals to the supporters to give him a chance.
Kilkenny appoint their manager and get on with their business. Waterford appoint theirs and we’ve had full fanfare since.
Wouldn’t be surprised to hear Dan Shanahan come out in the next few weeks making a case for Maurice to get another shot. Don’t think Davy has the balls to tell who needs to be told to fuck off. If he does, thats half the battle.

Davy and Dan didn’t get on overly well in his previous stint I think. It was the dying embers of Dan’s inter-county career and he didn’t agree with Davy limiting him to the role of impact sub. Can’t see John Mullane or Ken McGrath queuing up to be in his backroom team either based on rows and Davy’s autobiography.

Cahill has serious job of work ahead with that draw.

2 Likes

I was in a pub in San Francisco and Dan the man was holding court. Davy walked in as pub owned by a Clare man and you could feel the needle in the air instantly.

2 Likes

I just think that while the squad is still young, there is already an attitude in there that is probably too hard to shift and lads are going to say and do what they want anyway.

:grinning:

Thought the exact same looking at it there.

Based on what? They’re short in every single line FFS!

Joyce at 6 will steady a lot. They should’ve beaten Galway handily. They’ll be next best after Limerick I think as well.

You’ve hit the nail on the head there, it doesn’t bode well the County Chairman speaking out like that, calling for people to get behind Davy. Like I said here the other day, it’s an appointment that’s been greeted with very little enthusiasm right across the board in Waterford. People in the main are very underwhelmed by it and feel that Waterford could and should have gone for someone else.

A real sense of, this has been tried before, Davy had a crack at it from 2008-11, just about everyone was fairly weary of him by the time it was over and feels weary already about the inevitable circus, siege mentality, Davy at war against officials, the media and the world, that lies ahead. The last thing this Waterford team need is a circus. Derek Lyng got the Kilkenny job last week and there hasn’t been a peep out of him, or Kilkenny.

There is the fact as well, when you strip out all the hype, spin and self-promotion that go with Davy and just drill down on actual results that he delivers, it’s underwhelming enough.

Out of 16 championship games in Wexford across 5 seasons against what you’d probably call Tier 1 opposition (the 5 Munster counties, Galway, Kilkenny and Dublin) Davy won just 3 out of 16 Championship games, 3 and 2 point wins over Kilkenny in 2017 and 2019 and a 1 point win over Dublin in 2018.

In 5 seasons in Clare, outside of the All Ireland winning campaign of 2013, he barely won a championship game in the other 4 seasons and failed to get Clare to Croke Park in any of those 4 seasons. All that with a crop of young players that won U21 All Irelands in 2009, 2012, 2013 and 2014 and a generational player in Tony Kelly at his disposal.

6 Likes

Kieran and Shane Bennett have both opted out for Waterford for 2023.

The father Pat trained Ferns to win a first Wexford Senior Hurling Championship today.

Davy is some operator getting his trusted lieutenant to come out in the media and tell them that the whole county is delighted we have Davy in the same article where he says that two of his sons are fucking off to Oz for the year.

My sources tell me the whole county isn’t delighted. Fergal Hartley was seen having a heated argument in the Strand last night presumably over his role in Davy’s appointment or in Fergal’s case possibly over having to buy a round.

4 Likes

Is Shane much of a loss?

I don’t think so. Kieran Bennett is a steady player and versatile but lacks size.

Shane is a hot and cold type of player, he is probably best facing the ball, very talented but equally one sided. Doesn’t have Stephens ball winning or temperament.

I see that Lismore won well without either of the Dalys starting, or Maurice Shanahan.

Would they be one of the favourites to make the final?

No. They should be bating Dunhill with their caps.

Not any more. Was a great prospect but Derek destroyed him.

1 Like

I see work on Walsh park starts in October. Where will they hold the round robin next year @Fagan_ODowd @Thornhill ?