Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

2 Likes

Colligan did their level best to throw that away Ballygunner’s first score from play was a Stephen Power goal on 44 minutes. I counted 2-10 on the board from play by Colligan by that stage.

Solemn victory for Colligan parish.

A good local buried this morning

You holding out much hope for tomorrow? Mount Sion starting XV might not be too far off. Not sure you really have too much in reserve off the bench.

Gunners should be at least 6 points a better team.

1 Like

Best of luck today

2 Likes

The conditions could tighten things up. Mount Sion are a good tough physical and very well organised team and ye are definitely ahead of the rest in chasing down Ballygunner.
Roanmore picked up a couple of sloppy bookings last week and it left certain players on toast because of it. If ye steer clear of that I give ye a fighting chance. All year long I have been impressed by ye and if ye bring it today ye won’t be far away.

2 Likes

This is Austin’s day of destiny.

I have a feeling he’ll be carried shoulder high off Walsh Park today.

@Fagan_ODowd similar conditions to the day of The Battle of Keane’s Road when you got in that scrap with the Sullivan women?

1 Like

That was a fine day as I recall.

2 Likes

Dont know why i had it in my head it was wet.

A lot of outstanding brawls take place in the rain i suppose when lads are pissed off for getting wet.

Best of luck today btw

No I was out on the bank that day. Weather was grand. Patsy Fanning was scoring a goal to level the game up just as Roy McGrath cut someone in two in the middle of the field and it all kicked off. As spectacular a row as I’ve ever witnessed.

3 Likes

If B/gunner win today do they equal Mount Sion & Erin’s Own record of 9 in a row or something like that?

Correct. Could not be set up better.

1 Like

Erin’s Own stopped Mount Sion from getting to 10 in a row and thus beating their record record of 9 in a row in 1962.

Has Aussie even seen anyone else win the WHC during his career? It’s a ridiculous record in such a strong hurling county

Not during his senior career.

I know plenty of Mount Sion lads and while keeping their powder dry this week they are well up for it.
My wife is a Mount Sion woman to the core. She turns into a fish wife in the stands on a day like today.
She still Sings that Mount Sion song.

4 Likes

This is Mount Sions first appearance in a final since 2014. They lost to Ballygunner on the start of this run.
Before that Mount Sion we’re last in a final in 2006 when they last won it. It’s been a huge fall off for such an illustrious club. I think they will bring the thunder with the weather today.

Ballygunner have been in every final since 2013 when they got beaten by a late Passage blitz on the day. They credit that loss for this run they are on.

1 Like

Personally don’t see it. Last year was our chance when we caught them by surprise in the semi final. They’ll be wise to us this year. And as @ChairmanDan suggests they’ve an infinitely better bench than us.

The bench is a huge difference no denying that. If it’s close coming down the straight I’d rather have Ballygunner’s problems.
Apart from Ballyhale in the AI club final no one gave Ballygunner as much problems as Mount Sion last year. I know lads are still kicking themselves over that and in some way has fed into the belief that they can do it now.
Maybe I am coding myself but with the conditions an all as they are today and Mount Sion’s tighter and aggressive style I think they have a great chance.

Ballygunner trive on getting off to a quick start but when they don’t teams with decent quality can stick with them and doubt sets in.

1 Like