Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

All Waterford games to be played in Thurles except the away game in Cork.

County Board got a good chunk of the season tickets sold before announcing this.

2 Likes

isnt waterford record absolutely wogus in walsh park anyways, they might be as happy playing in Thurles.

Correct

Ah balls. Was looking forward to this yearā€™s trip to Waterford. Dreary Thurles it is.

1 Like

Youā€™ll have to settle for the train to Thurles with a few cans.

2 Likes

Fair whinge here although you would wonder why WIT surfaces werenā€™t an option?

Moving it up to Fethard which is a super setup seems bananas for both teams involved distance wise.

Good to see this farce being called out for what it is.

No competitive match never mind a Harty Cup Quarter Final should be played on such an abomination of a surface.

Playing games off as a tick the box exercise is a staple of the split season.

1 Like

Youā€™ll make a fine West Board Vice-chairman in time.

3 Likes

Has he ever told us his club?

He hasnā€™t but the those in the know, know.

2 Likes

Some whinge is right.

I doubt Midleton were training on Astro either.

So, weā€™ve got Dublin and Antrim in Fraher Field. Delighted with that, stroll over to the match and a few pints in Minnies or Oā€™Conners after. Happy days!

However, Iā€™m vexed weā€™ve ceded home advantage to Kilkenny. The corresponding fixture last year drew maybe 4-5 thousand, which could easily be accommodated in Dungarvan. What in the name of fuck do we as a county gain from that decision?

In my lifetime there has never been a Waterford v Kilkenny game in Fraher Field (although I did see KK footballers beat us there circa 1988. An abiding memory is the following morning I was getting ready for school and they interviewed the Kilkenny manager on Morning Ireland. Was the 1st match theyā€™d won in about 30 years)

Our games have become too homogenised. All inter county competitive games are now played in designated grounds. I suppose health and safety, accompanied by insurance concerns is a primary driver of this. But, I remember some of my happiest days were being brought to exotic locations like Fermoy and Gorey for League games.
Not to forget the day when All Ireland champions Galway rocked up to Fraher Field in, I think, October 88 off the back of a 2 year unbeaten run and we turned them over. There was a mass brawl near the end and, having jumped the fence, I managed to get myself a Tony Keady half hurley, signed and all. The other half was most likely embedded in a Waterford lads shin.

Anyway, the long and short of it is Iā€™m disappointed Kilkenny arenā€™t paying us a visit this year. Iā€™d hope itā€™s a Croke Park directive and the Co Board have had no choice in the matter.

9 Likes

Get yaā€™s ready for a championship game or two in Nowlan Park.

1 Like

That is far from the point.

Jesus keep Waterford out of Nowlan Park will you Ffs.

1 Like

As next weekend is a bank holiday Iā€™ll stay up in Dungarvan for a few pints after the game. Iā€™ll head in around the square for them.

Iā€™ll catch the train up to KK for that game. I can have 1 or 2 before throw in and a nice few afterwards before a train back.

We are not making it easy for Davy with all this giving up home advantage. Both in league and championship. I got a mail during the week that Fraher field capacity was limited to 3,600 for the Dublin game and you needed to purchase your ticket on line for it. All juveniles needed to also have tickets. ā‚¬18 for an adult ticket which I feel is very steep.

Also, Pauric Mahony has stepped away from the Waterford panel. Davy gave him his debut back in 2011 so at 30 years of age he has given good commitment and service to his county.

Great rant. And fully agree. I saw Waterford play Dublin in the league in Portlaw and play Tipperary in the league in Carrick back in the day. Not a hope of seeing the like any more.

2 Likes

Looks like Davy might be giving the league a swerve.