Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Davyā€˜s time is nearly up Iā€™m hearing.

Is that reliable or just local chit chat?

Only asking because I heard this evening that 4 lads had tickets booked for heading away to Australia. Whether there is any substance to that only time will tell.

Iā€™ve always made that point. Very difficult to keep a club like that from splitting.

A good source told me that he canā€™t see him surviving. County Board are coming under some serious scrutiny and a lot of hard questions are going to be asked.

They fudged going on radio today to answer any questions because we are still in the championship.

Eoin Kelly (Waterford) was on and he made the point that why is it always the manager that takes the fall and not the guys who appointed him. Are we even set up to give these managers a fair crack at it?

Ken was of the opinion that if it was a Waterford man who stood over the shambles of a year we had so far he would be forced to walk so why should this be any different.

Patsy Fanning had a better year than Davy. And he was lifted out of it.

Theyā€™ll be afraid of Davy mewling to the media. Davy will be like a cornered rat blaming all and sundry because he is never getting another inter county gig after this.

4 Likes

Davy should never have got another gig after the utter shambles he presided over in Wexford in 2021 and 2022. It was quite an exhaustive process last summer with a lot of high profile names interviewed. How in the name of God did they come to the conclusion Davy was the best man for the job. Well actually having had some dealings with the Waterford County Board over the last few years, Iā€™m not one bit surprised.

Same lads said the same last year if Cahill stayed on. Maybe they should leave them off.

While happy to engage in media spats all year long, the one thing I donā€™t think Davy would try to ride out is a decisive move from the players. He scampered fairly fast when the Clare lads finally found their balls and voted for this removal in 2016, despite being fully set on staying beforehand.

The intercounty management gig is done for him but heā€™ll be hanging around in the media for the rest of our lives.

He will make a big effort for Antrim Iā€™d say once Gleeson moves on.

Would be interesting to see if they have a heaven now and just go out and hurl against Tipp. What was looking like a foregone hammering could become a tricky tie against a side with nothing to lose and the shackles off

You need leaders for that to happen. With the exception of De Burca, waterford look lacking in that regard. I dont see any kick from this bunch.

Thatā€™s been said every year of the last game of the round robin and it hasnā€™t happened yet.

3 Likes

We will be pulverised by Tipp.

3 Likes

Cahill cleared out the olde players, are there any even 30 left?

Will Waterford even train next 2 weeks?

The team of the 00s were said to be too individual and not enough of a team.

Whatever truth was in that , this side this year resembles nothing like a team. It is all individual stuff. Very little team play or connection with one another. It just seems to be whoever gets the ball just has a lash at goal no matter where they are.
After about 4 mins the other night Stephen Bennett had the ball around half way and was running away from goal. Rather than look for a pass, never mind make one he attempted an over the shoulder effort that went wide.

Probably not this week. Will be brought in for a couple of light sessions next week and sent out with a mixture of lads who have seen little to no game time starting.
That was the way it went previously. Itā€™s worked well for us.

Eoin K having a cut at his clubman Pat Flynn? Pal of mine a few years ago got a house call from Pat Flynn. It was the time the chap from Portlaw had the Eastern Board account cleaned out by the Nigerian Prince and topped himself. My pal was going into an Eastern Board game and was charged a tenner. He enquired as to whether the increase in price was down to the hole in the Eastern Board accounts. The gate man reported the remark to P Flynn and he called out to my pals house to tell him to watch himself.

2 Likes

Sacking the manager after the Round 3 elimination hasnā€™t been tried yet. A new manager bounce for the Tipperary game with a view to settling a few scores with Liam Cahill and maybe even eliminating him from the Championship, might be worth a shot. Ken McGrath would be my choice for the Doug Livermore role.

@cheasty might even do up one of his lists of homegrown candidates for a 1 match caretaker manager role.

Might be a job for @Ceist

1 Like