Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Carrick Davins and Carrick Swans used to share a pitch until relatively recently.

Iā€™m sure there are other examples of this.

Along with the afforementioned St Judes and Faughs. Naomh Mearnog and St Sylvesters have pitches they both own seperated by a fence.

Youā€™d have John Mitchells in the football too up in the hills beyond Kilmac. Now their pitch is something special. A real throwback to the days of cow fields.

1 Like

Are Glen Rovers Melleray still fielding? I was in Mount Melleray 2 weeks ago; the GAA pitch in there looked abandoned.

I never heard of them.
What direction were they from?

They are yes. Playing junior.

What about Melleray donā€™t you get?

ā€œJohn Mitchellā€™sā€

1 Like

Above Kilrossanty. They are the slave owning supporting wing of Kilrossanty.

Never heard of them. Are they back towards clonmel?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/VNqMXP7b8bUF885YA?g_st=ic

1 Like

@carryharry has supplied the map. John Mitchels were a big deal in the 70s and won 3 football championships. I think they disbanded after and reformed in later years.

1 Like

I heard second hand, that They won those titles in the 70s as a local businessman cajoled a few of the lads in the glass factory out. Many were top class junior soccer players.

Thereā€™s a whole mish mash of clubs around mid Waterford overlapping around a few parishes.

Itā€™s definitely not done Waterford GAA any favours.

John Mitchells I was told were formed from a split in Kilmacthomas in the early 60ā€™s. Or was I misinformed and it was actually a split from Kilrossanty? As you said, they won a few Senior Football Championships in the 1970ā€™s. Theyā€™ve folded a few times but are active again. I was at an underage football match up there a few weeks ago.

I did a session in Kilrossanty once; a law unto their own Iā€™d say

Mountain men.

Sounds very like Killure in the 1980s.

I know a lad from Waterford who always went on about Kilrossanty being absolute savages.

Lismore v Dunhill in the relegation final.

Ballygunner dispatch Dungarvan

Dungarvan seniors have a fellow Jack Fitzgerald playing in half forward line. Heā€™s a tidy enough type of club hurler that most clubs would be glad to have. Ballygunner man living in Dungarvan last few years, think his mother is from Dungarvan as well. I donā€™t think he ever progressed past Junior B in Ballygunner.

1 Like