Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

I see that. A comfortable enough 6 point win for Cappoquin seemingly. With the Tourin influx, Cappoquin have been fancied all year by many to win the Premier Intermediate.

Mullanes two fingered salute to the cork crowd must be one of the greatest moments of hurling ever.

The cork v Waterford rivalry triumphs any other hurling rivalry for me.

It had everything.

2 Likes

Tremendous

Great win for Ferrybank in the intermeejit

They’ll be dancing on the streets in Kilkenny

3 Likes

I spent all my summers in Ferrybank as a young fella and regularly hurled as a banger for them. Same story as lots of small clubs with a few families keeping it going. Delighted for them.

1 Like

For some reason never fully explained on the INTERNET Liam Cahill (AFR) claimed to have hurled for Ferrybank despite being from Griffith Avenue.

Ferrybanks best hurler in my lifetime Shane ‘Shiner’ Aherne transferred to Mount Sion as soon as he was old enough to win medals.

1 Like

Stephen Breen was a v good player too. Shiner transferred back to Ferrybank in the mid 90s and player managed them to an intermeejit championship

Won it pulling up in the end. Paddy Mullally is over them and they were flying fit, whereas Cappoquin wilted badly in the heat as the game wore on.

Mark O’Brien was full forward which was a bit of a gamble but it paid off in fairness, he lorded it up there.

1 Like

Stephen Breen was incredibly one sided and an ex priest.

That superior Mount Sion attitude was definitely more effective when ye were capable of winning stuff.

2 Likes

OOFFFTT

Old Parish beat Roanmore in the junior C county final.
Third time lucky for An Sean Phobal after losing the final the last 2 years.

It’s Old Parish’s second ever senior title after the 1949 junior football county title that saw them go up to senior football. The following year they got to the senior final and lost.

3 Likes

That’s a great win for them.

Bricky Rangers won the intermediate title for the first time today. Peter Cummins (future Waterford star) done the damage. Tom O’Connell is a big physical player who will be looked at by Davy also.

They’ll more than hold their own at premier intermediate next year.

2 Likes

Great to hear. Brickeys and Old Parish had a couple of Waterford minors on the same team a couple of years back.

1 Like

De La Salle game enough here but a sense of inevitability hanging over proceedings. 0-07 to 0-04 to Ballygunner after 14 mins.

Kevin Moran’s helmet under fierce pressure here.

1 Like

Senior hurling done in Waterford for the year.

Could Waterford go a Offaly route and just become a hurling wasteland?

I don’t really remember Offaly being a force but it looks similar with ballygunnar dominating like birr did in Offaly.

Hopefully Waterford become a force again. They add great colour to proceedings.

Ballygunnar won’t fall off a cliff like Birr did.

I’m a fan on the split season but not the way Waterford and Wexford run off their hurling club championships in a condensed manner over 5/6 weeks.

It is no coincidence that the three weakest counties in Liam McCarthy for 2024 have their club championships already run off.

1 Like