Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Well the split season means the clubs have basically six weeks to run off the club championships thanks to the ever expanding inter county season.

The simple fix is to run it off like Dublin, Tipp, Limerickā€¦

Dublin round robin stages in hurling started around July 15th. No team will have their season over until Sept 30/Oct 1st at earliest.

12 weeks to have at least 5 competitive games, challenge games and training. Teams who get to the semi final stage will be playing well into October. It can only help develop hurlers compared to a six week blitz where it is game, recovery, game, recoveryā€¦

2 Likes

Agreed. Limerick hurling started 27/07, will finish on 29/10 so thirteen weeks in total. Hard to understand why you would compress it if you donā€™t need to.

The limerick championship has a lot going for it but teams with a number of duel players are severely disadvantaged.

Itā€™s a very tough schedule and a lot of the top hurling clubs are hurling only so to break into them is nearly impossible.

If you had an another month it would work much better but the gaa seems to have other ideas.

I wonā€™t be commenting on any matters relating to the split season anymore but I guess over the next few years weā€™ll see whoā€™s right.

Peter Hogan was a mere 17 year old corner forward when Ballygunner started this run in 2014.

Today he won his 10th county medal at 26.

I think Paul Hearty has 18 County Medals with Crossmaglen but Iā€™d say Hogan will easily get to 15 which would be a hurling record Iā€™d say.

Itā€™s a long lay off for Ballygunner now before they face the Cork champions in Munster. I wonder will many of the Ballygunner lads line out for Gaultier in the Waterford Senior Football Championship.

Some poor misfortunes from Gorey and Mount Leinster Rangers will take some serious pastings on the BOICMC over the coming weeks once the BG lads get their golfing holiday in Portugal out of the way.

How many has sully now?

Not that many more i would say.

2005, 2009, 2011.

1 Like

would many of them have a football background with Gaultier?

Nah not really, not as far as I know anyway.

Patrick Fitzgerald and Dessie Hutchinson played senior football last year. Possibly Barry Coughlan as well.

1 Like

Would they even celebrate a Waterford county title at this stage?

You can bet your bollocks they would. When Portlaoise did 9 in a row, there was always the Monday and usually the Tuesday at the very least. When is the first round of Munster?

With the elevation of Ferrybank to the senior ranks, 5 of the 12 senior clubs in 2024 will be from the city.

28 of the last 30 Senior Hurling Championships 1994-2013 won by city clubs. Ballyduff Upper in 2007 and Passage in 2013, the two exceptions.

Ballygunner have competed in 26 of the last 29 Senior Hurling Finals since 1995. The 3 years they didnā€™t make it were 1998, 2008 and 2012. At this juncture, youā€™d have to say thereā€™s every chance they could be in 26 of the next 29 Senior finals too.

Not until November. And even then they will be only playing the Cork winners.

1 Like

Theyā€™ll be on it a week so

1 Like

With the exception of Abbeyside the rest of the West Waterford clubs are small to medium in size.

Ardmore, Ballyduff, Tallow, Lismore and Shamrocks are all gone back a mile in recent years. Lismore & Tallow have a slightly better pick.
All down population wise compared to previous generations.

I see Ferrybank won intermediate. Any good?

The Census data doesnā€™t bear that out.