Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Getting rid of football will be Davy’s legacy.

It would be a great opening for a young and ambitious manager. You’d need an innovative mind like Kev who used to post here. A far cry from when they won the 2003 Munster U21 title against a star studded Kerry team. Gary Hurney used to their equivalent of Declan Browne. Although not as good. Think Hurney attempted a season as a dual player in the late 00’s too?

maybe a few lads might drop out of the hurling panel and play a bit of big ball and run the thing!

I actually went to the trouble of watching them play Carlow in Carriganore last year. The world wouldn’t be a worse place if they gave it up.

3 Likes

This is the way its going. Football will be like hurling shortly.

Big Davy Power only barely over the border; surely he would be an ideal candidate

Those Tipp lads could actually play footbll to a very high level and win is the only thing.

I did the FAE with a Waterford footballer. Wooly Daniels.

It would set a dangerous precedent if Waterford pulled out. Other counties wouldn’t be long following their lead.

It would be a bad look but in the long run it might not be the worst thing. if they say sat out for a few years at senior and put the money (however little) into underage.
Start at the very bottom, where they are tbh, and try and build up from there.
There are lads playing senior intercounty for Waterford and no amount of coaching or training would improve them.

2 Likes

No harm at all in it. That junior competition that Kilkenny play in is basically Lory Meagher for football, with KK and now maybe Waterford playing in it instead of Cavan and Monaghan. With the Tailteann Cup football has started going down this road anyway, gradually in football the southern counties will be congregating in the lower tiers.

If they drop down next year I say there’s a fair chance they never come back.

The split season had sure ruined Waterford football. They were so competitive pre split season.

I might throw my hat in the ring

6 Likes

You’d end up being player / manager.

I’m reliably informed that I am the last Cnoc Sion man to don a Waterford football jersey.

13 Likes

I read with interest on the Munster Express a few weeks ago that Cnoc Sion for the first time in their history are fielding two adult football teams in 2023.

Did you have to google translate what the Irish word for Mount was as a proud royalist :uk: from the mainland?

@Fagan_ODowd looks after the Gaelic translations for me.