Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Easily done

Just looking at the team this morning, son of Colm Bonnar at corner forward.

Didnā€™t start. Davy named a dummy team for a game against Kerry. Came on as a sub.

The two Fitzgeraldā€™s from Kilrossanty are two very good young hurlers, particularly Paudie.

Mark Fitzgerald was named at full back on the team I saw this morning. He should be first choice full back, not Prunty.

Bonnars young lad looked awkward when introduced. Moves well but lacking a few stone.

A few of the shrude judges here picked out Fitzgerald in an under 20 game vs Tipp about 3 years ago. Has been excellent since then when not injured.

The Fitzgeraldā€™s have serious wheels and would have suited Cahillā€™s teams perfectly. Padraig especially has a good eye for goal.

2 Likes

Seanie Callaghan from Abbeyside whoā€™d have been one of the top U20ā€™s in the county has done his cruciate for the second time in quick succession. Davy had him in training with the seniors. A terrific young hurler but nowhere near ready for the intensity of Senior inter-county training.

https://twitter.com/waterfordsport/status/1753111303160295914?s=46&t=mqzTzgmAsmn_yRTvOWvmPg

This is what you are dealing with with the Waterford County Board.

1 Like

A mighty crew

We donā€™t have an official shirt sponsor yet this year.

1 Like

Drove up to Tullamore from South East Waterford today. Lovely drive. Parked in the Tullamore GAA Grounds (ā‚¬5). Adjacent to the ground.
Met a Waterford county board apparatchik in the ground who told me that between the two court they had sold 500 tickets as of 6 pm last night. In fairness by throw in there might have been double that number in the ground.

Game was even enough for about 20 minutes. Offaly with the wind in the first half bizarrely played a sweeper. They let Waterford have every puck out uncontested. I counted 8 puck outs in a row to our corner back Mark Fitzgerald who wasted every one of them. Maybe there was method in their madness.

Midway through the first half new boy Sean Walsh (who apart from a 5 minute spell was poor enough) scored a goal. Then five minutes later Stephen Bennett scored two goals in a minute. The first was of the farcical variety. Stephen missed the lift on a free and in the confusion that followed he buried a shot for a goal. The second goal was a better affair all round though the Offaly goalie was of the jump out of the way variety.

That was the game more or less. Waterford played poorly with the breeze and had a horror show on the frees but eventually settled and reeled off the last 8 points for a 12 point win.

I donā€™t think weā€™ll win the All Ireland this year.

15 Likes

No Adam Screeney today. Presumably being rested for the Fitzgibbon semi-final with UL as youā€™d imagine heā€™d be a good addition to that Offaly team.

Listed as a sub but to the disappointment of the crowd he never got a run.

Offaly had a man sent off too I should add. Clear red card offence.

How did the Fitzgeralds from Kilrossanty go?

Heā€™s only a Fresher.

Canā€™t play Fitzgibbon.

1 Like

Paudie started reasonably well and scored a nice point but faded a bit after that. Shaun O Brien picked him out with a great puck out mid way through the second half. He only had to control it and he was in on goal but he made a bags of it. Shortly after he took over the frees and drove his first effort badly wide and he was whipped off shortly after that.

Seamus injected some much needed energy and scored Waterfords only two points of the first 23 minutes of the second half (with the wind). He also hit 3 wides.

I see Colin Dunford was listed to start. He has some longevity having made his inter-county debut in 2014. Maybe theyā€™ll give him a testimonial.

1 Like

Listed to start but didnā€™t start or play any part in proceedings. Conor Ryan who was also listed to start, didnā€™t but came on in the second half.

Tom Barron and Stephen Bennett started in their places.

Ye left me down for -12 ye useless gits. Can you explain what happened in the third quarter?

Dunford must be one of these good guys that is liked by everyone and a positive influence but is ultimately not up to it.

Are they Pat Fitzā€™s of Kill Agri fames sons?