Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

JJ has said consistently that Ken Mcgrath was the player he found it toughest to mark. I remember reading an interview with him some years back where he said it too.

I can’t remember them marking each other. Seamus Prendergast, of all people, gave him a torrid time in 2012 I think

The only issue is have with that statement is that I don’t believe that JJ ever marked Ken in a championship match.

Hence why he found him toughest to mark

Paddy Joe Ryan returns as County Chairman. Paddy Joe was the man who brought in Gerald and then Justin McCarthy. He is also a clubman of Scully Ryan and has made it clear that he is not interested in long term plans. If the team doesn’t come up out of Div 2 Derek McGraths goose is cooked.

Only one team goes up Fagan Limerick and Wexford are in a better place right now IMO so to say his goose would be cooked is harsh.

Waterford should believe they can beat both limerick and Wexford

10 steps backwards letting paddy joe Ryan in the hot seat again, a pig ignorant bog trotter with old fashioned ideas and the county in the black for the first time in years and they get rid of the treasurer and bring in an even bigger gombeen in john Jackson, it’s practically a western county board, our county unfortunately is going nowhere.
The abuse Derek McGrath is getting on boards is scandalous - some call themselves supporters it makes my blood boil

I don’t see a Waterford football thread, so i’ll post here - Waterford McGrath Cup football champions 2015. A second title to go with the win in the inaugural year of 1981.

They are not a bad side, improving , football in Tipp , Clare and Waterford has come on in last 3 years

Ah waterford should focus on the hurling at least there’s a realistic chance some Stage in the not too Distant future we’ll be challenging for an all Ireland again - footballers winning the McGrath cup and getting out of div 4 is as far as things will ever get let’s be realistic

Comfortable win for the Deise today against a poor Wexford team. Wexfords touch and tactics were awful all through. Once Waterford pulled ahead in the first half Wexford were bereft of ideas and we won at our ease.

Tadgh de Burca and Brick Walsh were outstanding. NoĂ«l Connors and Philip Mahony had fine games too. Overall the work rate and hooking and blocking hinted at a United camp and manager Derek McGrath is already vindicated in ridding the panel of deadwood over the winter. If we’d cut down on bad wides we’d have won this by 15 points such was our dominance.

Overall we are deserved winners of the division having had our three toughest games away from home and conceding only 3 goals along the way. And we are the only unbeaten team in division 1.

A good start to the year. Tough tests to come.

Will Gleeson be wing back for the year, Fagan?

Rolls Royce of a hurler. Throw in the Bennett’s, de Burca, Barron, Mahony, Dillon, Devine etc and Waterford look like being a force over the next few years. Derek McGrath seems an alright sort too.

John Mullane was buzzing on rte radio today. “Something special will happen with this group of players”. No pressure

Maurice Shanahan has seriously filled out from the tall gangly lad he was a few years back, he’ll be a serious player if he gets an injury free run.

[QUOTE=“Fagan ODowd, post: 1111260, member: 706”]Comfortable win for the Deise today against a poor Wexford team. Wexfords touch and tactics were awful all through. Once Waterford pulled ahead in the first half Wexford were bereft of ideas and we won at our ease.

Tadgh de Burca and Brick Walsh were outstanding. NoĂ«l Connors and Philip Mahony had fine games too. Overall the work rate and hooking and blocking hinted at a United camp and manager Derek McGrath is already vindicated in ridding the panel of deadwood over the winter. If we’d cut down on bad wides we’d have won this by 15 points such was our dominance.

Overall we are deserved winners of the division having had our three toughest games away from home and conceding only 3 goals along the way. And we are the only unbeaten team in division 1.

A good start to the year. Tough tests to come.[/QUOTE]
McGrath was always a good appointment. When young talent is coming thru you need someone who knows them and has a calming developing mindset.

Delighted they got up.

Waterford could do serious damage this summer. If they don’t meet Wexford in Nowlan Park. Really should’ve been a lot further ahead at half time.

[QUOTE=“dodgy-keeper, post: 1111268, member: 1552”]Will Gleeson be wing back for the year, Fagan?

Rolls Royce of a hurler. Throw in the Bennett’s, de Burca, Barron, Mahony, Dillon, Devine etc and Waterford look like being a force over the next few years. Derek McGrath seems an alright sort too.

John Mullane was buzzing on rte radio today. “Something special will happen with this group of players”. No pressure
[/QUOTE]
Mullane is McGraths brother in law so take all that shite with a pinch of salt.

+1. They seem to have it all.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1111277, member: 273”]McGrath was always a good appointment. When young talent is coming thru you need someone who knows them and has a calming developing mindset.

Delighted they got up.[/QUOTE]
He was lucky to last the winter after he culled the panel. He would have been shown the road if he’d had a bad league, because he had taken on a few sacred cows. And of course the county is full of eejits who can’t understand why the team doesn’t hurl like 15 Ken McGraths and fuck things like defending.

I’m switching from Wexford to Waterford as the team to watch this year.