Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

A change of manager can work wonders. That was the carry on in Tipperary in 2018 as they crashed out of the Munster Championship without winning any of their four matches.

1 Like

Like I posted already, if there’s anything in them, Cahill will get it out of them.

1 Like

Tipperary didn’t get a series of hidings in 2018 . They were very competitive in each game .

1 Like

The issue there though is what players do you consult? Players have agendas and motivations outside of what is the best for the team sometimes

It seems like the best appointment they could have made in the circumstances. It’s more of a gamble for Cahill than Waterford because if he flops he’ll be passed over for the Tipp job next you’d have to say, whereas if he’d stayed trucking along with the Tipp U20s he’d have most likely got the Tipp job after Sheedy.

Pay no attention to this lads, this fella thought Liam Sheedy would fail at Tipperary.

1 Like

I would think if you are taking a progressive approach you get the squad from the previous year to meet up and discuss what they want from a set up or what they feel is needed and nominate two or three players to meet with the executive and proposed management to discuss.

They shouldn’t have the right to veto an appointment but all three sides should be starting on the correct footing otherwise it will end in tears.

2 Likes

That’s effectively a whole pile of bollocks.
The manager will feel that he’s justifying himself to the players right from the off. That’s not the dynamic you want. If the meeting is a disaster, what then? The players will be dubious straight away.

Get the man in. Let him work with the players in his own time.

If the manager is going to succeed at intercounty level then he is going to have to have belief in the culture which he is going to instill in that group of players. If he is unable to explain his vision and get buy in at all levels then he isn’t going to last very long at intercounty level. It’s not about pandering to players but for the most part the players would have a far better understanding of where and why things are going wrong compared to the county board.

I never said he should pander to the players or the executive but unless all three are on a similar page from the start then it won’t work.

2 Likes

you aren’t going to get across your belief and vision and values to two or three players in the board room of a hotel. The vision, values etc are outlined and agreed in the interview process.
They are implemented with the players over his tenure.

A meeting like that is like playing Russian Roulette.

The manager should never get off on a weak footing.

I don’t think players that haven’t won a game in two years and whose attitude isn’t great based on last year should be getting much say personally.

2 Likes

You’ve never expressed an original opinion in your 750,000 posts here on this forum so no one gives a shit what you’ve to say on this matter.

1 Like

They’re still the ones expected to put in the time and make the commitment. You’re not going to disimprove morale in the squad by adding good communication and respect, but you could worsen it further by ignoring it. The players could well have very legitimate viewpoints and input and it would be pure stupidity to discount that possibility and not allow them to be aired because of some misconceived notion that they have a bad attitude.

I’d say you’re full of shit, but there’s nothing original about that opinion either.

I disagree. Limited consultation maybe but players shouldn’t have a say in who manages them. Mind you county boards shouldn’t go out of their way to antagonize players either, but that’s another story.

Regardless . Cahill’s cv is really excellent and the notion that any of the Waterford panel could scoff at the idea of him as manager is frankly laughable .

1 Like

You have to consult the senior members of the panel, the lads that have soldiered and won the most with the senior squad. Not doing it is an insult to the effort that they put in

1 Like

A lot of people seem to think Cahill will get rid of the ego’s around this Waterford team that’s great and all but will he have 15 left afterwards?

Who interviewed John Kiely???