Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Agreed. They would all have played in the last five minutes against Passage in 2013 when they blew a 7 point lead in the last 5 minutes. To their eternal credit, that 5 minutes probably made them the team they are today.

I’m sure their aim is to do the 10 in a row and beat the 9 in a row that Mount Sion and Erins Own have.

They have a huge demographic advantage and if you want to see the seeds of their success go out to Passage Cross and see the marker for the city boundary which was moved there in 1980 paving the way for all of the development between there and the old boundary at Newtown in the intervening years.

However it is not just demography that explains their success. They were always a good hurling club. They won three titles in the 60s. They are well run and have a clear and well understood hierarchy. They have managed not to have a falling out despite their numbers.

Anyway they are not the first club in the county to have had a huge demographic advantage. Mount Sion had first dibs on the Yellow Road, Keane’s Road, Griffith Avenue, Lisduggan, Lismore Park and Manor Lawn when they were the only parts of the city being developed from the 1930s to the 1970s and of course they made that advantage pay as well.

1 Like

We do it most years.

1 Like

:clap:

Mount Sion have cut the gap from 6 to 2. Just under 5 minutes to go.

Is there a stream for Mount Sion game?

Sounds like Austin is putting in one of the all time great performances on a losing side.

I’m listening to it on WLR.

1 Like

Passage win by 2. 0-26 to 1-21. Sounded like Passage made heavy work of a game they seemed to dominate. Were hanging on a bit at the end.

Fair play to passage I didn’t hold out much hope for them this year and here they are in the final. They were battered by Ballygunner in the Round robin but have regrouped really well since then.
I don’t think they will have come on enough to trouble Ballygunner in the final though.

Listened to it on Wlr. When I was at Thomastown I was hoping I’d lose the signal, we were getting hosed but the signal held to Carlow, which is the furthest north I’ve ever heard WLr and my nails were dug into the steering wheel. Sounds like bad game management did for us in the end. Going for a goal from a free when we were two points down with about 4 minutes on the clock. Anyway it might turn out to have been a good one for a young team to lose.

A bit like the Waterford v Tipperary 2008 semi final. Very much a semi final to lose.

It would of hurt more losing to yere old foes by 15 points.

Might be better in the long run for a young team.

1 Like

Penalty shoot out in the Western Intermediate final upcoming. Ballyduff lobbed a free in with the last puck and scrambled to the net. Cracking game in fairness.

Ballyduff win in sudden death.

1 Like

Brilliant

What a player.

1 Like

Sometimes Austin can look like a minor playing u14

Not a winner though