Waterford v Wexford - The battle for armchair supporter moral high ground

Duignan is explaining and losing

2 Likes

to go a bit further on that point, I think it showed the difference between the likes of Chin and others. I like Chin, fantastic hurler, but he likes the attention too. O Connor had a chance to shoot, but took the right option in passing to a better player. Chin wanted the glory for himself. When they go over (like his point after the big catch against Kilkenny) it looks great, when they dont, he looks selfish. In fairness to Guiney, he was similar, but this has been worked on with him and he is far more of a team player now. Itā€™s something I think Chin needs to work on. You dont always have to be the one scoring. yes its great to take on the responsibility of taking the shot, but sometimes passing it on is the better option. Plenty of other ways to take responsibility and lead the team.

You donā€™t score any of the shots you donā€™t take

as long as your team scores, that should be good enough. Even Chin taking the frees in that league game against Kilkenny. Clearly didnt have the range or accuracy, but still hit 3 of them wide instead of either letting someone else hit them, or trying to pass in the free rather than shooting. Maybe its a bit much to be critical of our best player, but I just think he takes the wrong (and selfish) option far too often rather than passing on the ball.

It is some achievement by Duignan to make Davy seem rational.

5 Likes

I think Chin has by and large improved this aspect of his game immeasurably but still has a little bit to go. You mentioned his catch and point against Kilkenny (which thankfully came off) but that second half was littered with him winning aerial possession, breaks, making tackles and giving the correct pass.

Heā€™s come on a lot from his days of going off on mazy solo runs nearly every time he gets the ball but throws in the odd one. That wide and the instance in the first half as highlighted on The Sunday Game where he lorried the ball forward to their keeper were the only real instances of bad decision making in possession I can recall him making.

Joe Sheridan would beg to differ.

yeah true enough, but as you mention the Kilkenny game, it was by a distance his best game of the year where he seldom made bad choices in it. The Galway and Waterford game bypassed him somewhat and he had some of those poor decisions in it. When he plays a complete game (like the Kilkenny one) he is excellent. Those 2 or 3 shots to nothing and not passing or the mazy dead end solo runs are what brings him back to being average in games. As I said, Iā€™m being overly critical of him here. I just think he has the skills and talent to be at the very top of hurlers in the country, taking away those poor decisions in games brings him closer to being that.

Very true.

Chin is now the type of player Jackie Tyrell thinks Austin Gleeson is.

1 Like

If Tipp had Chin in midfield weā€™d win the All Ireland hands down. He is exactly that kind of all action player we crave. Bonnar provides some elements of it but not enough. David Mcinerney from Clare would be another that if there was a transfer market I would take. Ability to cover corner and full back positions and possibly centre back too.

Why were Kilmacud Crokes pissed off about our team announcement?

You dont make the club from the tub

:rollseyes:

A lad named PJ Fingers rode Davyā€™s wife and you donā€™t hear him screaming about the injustice of it.

1 Like

That was pure scutter too.
Going on about how he might not be fit, how Michael Ryan wouldnā€™t be a man for backing down and then to sum up ā€œIā€™m surprised heā€™s not back in the panelā€.

They donā€™t call 'em biffoā€™s for nothing

Did he have that nickname before or after the incident?

1 Like

I donā€™t think heā€™ll ever be back in the panel under Ryan from what I hear - heā€™s a scumbag.

Iā€™ve always wondered that myself -

@Joe_Player - How did fingers get his nickname?