Wearing of facemasks. Yay, or Nay?

Have you not learned not to touch your face yet?

If I’m idle my hands are either on my chin or my balls, depending on the social circumstance

2 Likes

Cloth masks are not recommended because of the fact that moisture retention, reuse of cloth masks and poor filtration may result in increased risk of infection.

Other masks contain compounds that are carcinogenic.

I’ll take my chances without.

If I was caring for someone that was elderly or sick I’d take the chance and I’d make a supreme effort to not touch my face.

As it is, I’ll be super conscious about social distancing because I think we need to be right now, and I’ll wash my hands when I remember. And if I don’t remember my little one is on me like shit on a fly to wash them anyway

The neck on this cunt.

No, seriously. Look at the neck on him. WTF?!

1 Like

Xiao J, Shiu E, Gao H, et al. Nonpharmaceutical Measures for Pandemic Influenza in Nonhealthcare Settings—Personal Protective and Environmental Measures. Emerging Infectious Diseases . 2020;26(5):967-975. doi:10.3201/eid2605.190994.

Not the easiest read, so here are the pertinent points:

…In our systematic review, we identified 10 RCTs [randomized controlled trials] that reported estimates of the effectiveness of face masks in reducing laboratory-confirmed influenza virus infections in the community from literature published during 1946-July 27, 2018. In pooled analysis, we found no significant reduction in influenza transmission with the use of face masks…

…Disposable medical masks (also known as surgical masks) are loose-fitting devices that were designed to be worn by medical personnel to protect accidental contamination of patient wounds, and to protect the wearer against splashes or sprays of bodily fluids…

…There is limited evidence for their effectiveness in preventing influenza virus transmission either when worn by the infected person for source control or when worn by uninfected persons to reduce exposure. Our systematic review found no significant effect of face masks on transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza…

…In this review, we did not find evidence to support a protective effect of personal protective measures or environmental measures in reducing influenza transmission…

…We did not find evidence that surgical-type face masks are effective in reducing laboratory-confirmed influenza transmission, either when worn by infected persons (source control) or by persons in the general community to reduce their susceptibility…

Signing in. I have a few lovely facemasks to wear there. Great to do my bit to put people at ease.

If it’s not facemasks, it’s something else.

1 Like

On a serious note, I found it very uncomfortable today. Like a dog wearing a leash for the first time. There was 100% compliance in all stores I visited today from customers, staff and suppliers alike

1 Like

Yay for me, awkward etc but feck it have to conform

1 Like

Only wore down the shop as the lad at the door isn’t paid enough to argue with my ignorance. Hes doing as he’s told. Saying that they i down think they werestopping people without masks everyone had them.

I had to call into the Crescent shopping centre in Limerick today, I’d say maybe 60%, i put one on anyway, have done for a good few weeks unless i forget and then i don’t sweat it, I’d say the elderly would prefer me to do that and it’s really no problem.

Just by the by, i always thought you were Corks finest boy, just spotted now that you’re not, what’s the story with the name?

He just spelled it wrong.

2 Likes

It’s his signature move.

1 Like

How do you know what’s it’s like for a dog to wear a leash?

I’m married to one :wink:

I don’t think any real evidence has been put forward for masks outside of treating sick people up close and personal.

I’ve mixed feelings about the masks but will wear them in shops from today if for no other reason than to not put some student or shop worker into a shitty dilemma of whether to ask me to leave or not. They’re a bit uncomfortable and I’d hate to see it being a long term measure but if almost full compliance happens in the next few weeks and deaths remain low it will remove another weapon from the dangerous lunatics running Project Fear.

5 Likes

What’s the end game with masks?

Just keep wearing them until we get to 0 cases (i.e. forever)?

1 Like

I saw a video on the internet that visibly demonstrated that if you sneeze with a mask on, you will spread far less fluid around than if you just sneeze out in front of you like an ignorant bollix