Wedding Etiquette

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 966335, member: 273”]He’ll have friends who say all the same immature stupid things for months previous “oh your life is over now”. A clear sign with lads like that, that they are not ready for marriage at all.
It really sounds that he didn’t enjoy his wedding at all. What an awful way to be.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know if its a clear sign that they are not ready for marriage but it is certainly a clear sign that they are boring mundane pricks who have no personality to come up with something interesting to say.

Probably still think Deginitely Maybe is a great album and don’t rate Radiohead after the Bends too, mate.

:cool:

do you think they know they are boring mundane pricks or do people just convince themselves they have a great existence? …I’ve often wondered that…

[QUOTE=“glasagusban, post: 966361, member: 1533”]Probably still think Deginitely Maybe is a great album and don’t rate Radiohead after the Bends too, mate.

:cool:[/QUOTE]
You have to take into account farmer is an accountant from Leitrim who likes R.E.M, cutting edge yknow.

You’ve often wondered about the friends that Kev thinks I have? :confused:

have you ever heard of the Dunning-Kruger effect? maybe we could have a discussion about this and other interest topics over some craft beers while saying original things and being nice to each other?

back of the net.

I don’t think they know they are being boring and mundane. Otherwise they wouldn’t say it.

I would be more of the thinking that they convince themselves they have a great existence.

no pal… I was actually talking about people I know…

A few home truths about non same-sex Weddings:

95% of Weddings are driven by the decisions of the female, mainly because the majority of males are not too bothered by the whole thing and if it was left up to them you’d never get married. You will on the rare occasion come across a primadonna like @caoimhaoin who will act as the female in the proceedings

The parents of the bride and groom are almost as important as the bride and groom and also see it as their big day to show off the great job they’ve done raring their child. It is very important for them to have their family there, and believe me we tried to fight it but we decided that the path of least resistance would be to bite the bullet and invite them. It turned out to be the right decision as they were the life and soul of the party.

Whether people want to spend €50k on something massive or a few quid on getting married on the beach is entirely up to them and I wouldn’t judge them on it. It’s big business though and so many people get fooled into paying stupid sums of money for shit like invitations, flowers, thank you cards etc.

Giving money as presents is a traditional thing designed to give a couple a leg up as they start out on what’s probably the most financially stressful period of their lives. Personally I think there is too much pressure on people to hand out large sums of cash along with the cost of attending the wedding.

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 966366, member: 24”]

I would be more of the thinking that they convince themselves they have a great existence.[/QUOTE]

I sometimes think it wouldn’t be a bad way to live … totally unaware and clueless … but I would guess that every person over a certain level of intelligence eventually has a meltdown time… the younger it happens the better I think…

It’s more the trying to convince other people you have a great existence. I gave up trying to convince myself of it, a long, long time ago. I was never really into the first bit either though. True happiness lies in being consciously miserable. I’m consciously miserable.

[QUOTE=“Fran, post: 966368, member: 110”]A few home truths about non same-sex Weddings:

95% of Weddings are driven by the decisions of the female, mainly because the majority of males are not too bothered by the whole thing and if it was left up to them you’d never get married. You will on the rare occasion come across a primadonna like @caoimhaoin who will act as the female in the proceedings

The parents of the bride and groom are almost as important as the bride and groom and also see it as their big day to show off the great job they’ve done raring their child. It is very important for them to have their family there, and believe me we tried to fight it but we decided that the path of least resistance would be to bite the bullet and invite them. It turned out to be the right decision as they were the life and soul of the party.

Whether people want to spend €50k on something massive or a few quid on getting married on the beach is entirely up to them and I wouldn’t judge them on it. It’s big business though and so many people get fooled into paying stupid sums of money for shit like invitations, flowers, thank you cards etc.

Giving money as presents is a traditional thing designed to give a couple a leg up as they start out on what’s probably the most financially stressful period of their lives. Personally I think there is too much pressure on people to hand out large sums of cash along with the cost of attending the wedding.[/QUOTE]
Giving money as a present is certainly not traditional. It’s definitely a Celtic Tiger era creation designed to defray the cost of ridiculous over the top Celtic Tiger weddings. I remember a time when even a wedding list was gauche and only the preserve of the nouveaus. Before that a young married couple put the five spare toasters they had and the four kettles safely under the stairs ready to be given as presents at future weddings they attended.

This Cork cunt has mugged half the forum off by the looks of it.

[ATTACH=full]1410[/ATTACH]

I heard a story over the weekend about the father of the groom leaving the wedding at around 10pm, ringing a taxi (I think) and going to another town with mates he invited to get locked.

don’t think its that dramatic but each to their own …

[QUOTE=“Fran, post: 966368, member: 110”]A few home truths about non same-sex Weddings:

Giving money as presents is a traditional thing designed to give a couple a leg up as they start out on what’s probably the most financially stressful period of their lives. Personally I think there is too much pressure on people to hand out large sums of cash along with the cost of attending the wedding.[/QUOTE]
Was it yourself or the “wife” had the baby recently, Fran?

First wedding i went to was around mid 2000s so wouldnt have s clue how things were in the 70s and 80s when most fellas here’s parents would have got married I imagine.
Would everyone have given a present or some give money in those days fagan?
Were they all of the toaster variety or some more expensive?
Was there a big deal made about speeches?
What were stags like?

[QUOTE=“Tabby, post: 966410, member: 2142”]First wedding i went to was around mid 2000s so wouldnt have s clue how things were in the 70s and 80s when most fellas here’s parents would have got married I imagine.
Would everyone have given a present or some give money in those days fagan?
Were they all of the toaster variety or some more expensive?
Was there a big deal made about speeches?
What were stags like?[/QUOTE]

I’ll take this…

1. Yes. The mortification, whispering and shunning would be unbearable otherwise.
  2. Mostly. Occasionally some posh bastard would give a fondue maker.
  3. All speech content had first to be vetted by the Parish Priest
  4. Big brown yokes with antlers.

:rolleyes:

@Bandage , what’s the final decision so?