Wexford GAA 2008

[quote=“briantinnion”]You can only wonder what the team spirit is like, I hate to say it but the problems have been there from January with the disagreement over training which I exclusively revealed on TFK.

A good few of us move in GAA circles with friends (and friends of friends) in or around the panel, let’s try and post all the stories good or bad the we hear up here. Latest one I’ve heard is that a senior club is considering “pulling the plug” and withdrawing their players from the panel.[/quote]

What was the disagreement over training?

[quote=“Bandage”]Just been looking at our football league fixtures for the season ahead. I’m still extremely dubious about the new management team so I’m not overly confident abour our prospects though it is an advantage to have 4 home games where we should pick up maximum points, especially against minnows like Leitrim. A lot of miles will be racked up in travelling to Sligo, Limerick and Fermanagh and they’ll be tough fixtures. Overall I’d tentatively predict a mid-table finish as the manager seeks to put his stamp on things and the panel takes shape with there being quite a turnover of players:

03.02.08 (Sun) @ 2.30pm
Loch Garman v Longfort

17.02.08 (Sun) @ 2.30pm
Sligeach v Loch Garman

02.03.08 (Sun) @ 2.30pm
Loch Garman v An Dn

16.03.08 (Sun) @ 2.30pm
Luimneach v Loch Garman

30.03.08 (Sun) @ 2.30pm
Loch Garman v Liatroim

06.04.2008 (Sun) @ 2.30pm
Fear Manach v Loch Garman

13.04.08 (Sun) @ 2.30pm
Loch Garman v An L

Full NFL 2008 fixture list here:
http://gaa.ie/page/allianz_nfl_2008_fixtures.html[/quote]

Just reading back through some of the old posts and this one struck me - we’ve won all our home games convincingly and that may well be what gets us promoted. Of the 3 away games we’ve managed 2 draws and a win. When you take it that the win was against a piss poor sligo team and the draw against Fermanagh was against 14 men maybe our record for the season is slightly flawed. We did well against Limerick but in truth we should be beating them. We beat Sligo with only 14 men. My enthusiasm has been slightly dampened now but am sure a win against Louth on Sunday and then Fermanagh the following Sunday will go along way to reviving it.

I think we really need to up the effort and the skill levels for the Leinster QF against (most likely) Meath. There’s a Leinster Final in this team if they can manage to play the game for a full 70 minutes - something which they haven’t done yet this season and failed to do in the championship or league last year.

good points there alright Mac.

strong team named for sunday…

Shane Roche and Eric Bradley return to the Wexford team for Sundays final NFL Division 3 clash with Louth.

Roche returns to the attack in place of the injured John Hudson after missing the last round due to Wexfords involvement in the Leinster under 21 final. Bradley takes over from Collie Byrne at midfield after serving a suspension.

Victory for Jason Ryans side would see them join already-promoted Fermanagh in Division 2 next year.

Wexford (SF v Louth): A Masterson; C Morris, P Wallace, B Malone; A Morrissey, D Murphy, N Murphy; B Doyle, E Bradley; S Roche, R Barry, A Flynn; C Lyng, PJ Banville, M Forde.

That looks close enough to what the championship team will be. Obviously Tommy Howlin, Rory Stafford and Paddy Colfer will also be pushing hard for a starting place come championship but this just goes to show what strength in depth we have this year.

When you look at the likes of Ciaran Deely, Ben Brosnan, Padraic Curtis and a few others also on the bench, you would wonder how we got to the stage last year of having to bring on 3 debutants in a Leinster semi-final.

We must have a real chance of making a Leinster final this year.

I was also thinking earlier on that the team probably has 12 or so definite championship starters. What is Deely’s status this year actually?

long term injury

Deely is on the road to recovery, back training now after an operation but will take over a month to get back up to the required level.

Still he should be fully fit come first round of the championship.

[quote=“Monkey Allen”]Deely is on the road to recovery, back training now after an operation but will take over a month to get back up to the required level.

Still he should be fully fit come first round of the championship.[/quote]

Good stuff. He’s a very good footballer but the main weakness in his game is he’s susceptible to wearing man bags in public and that needs to be sorted out pronto.

We’re playing Offaly in Bunclody on Sunday evening at 6pm in a hurling challenge. It represents an opportunity to check out some Division 2 standard hurling after our the football in Wexford Park.

Deely hopes to push for championship place
18 April 2008

Former Wexford captain Ciaran Deely feels that he is about a month away from returning to competitive football action having rejoined to squad training on Sunday morning last.

The 2006 and 2007 captain has missed a great deal of action this season so far in his efforts to overcome a serious groin injury that necessitated surgery six weeks ago. He has remained as part of the set-up for the league campaign, operating as a water carrier for the opening games. Now that he has made a return to training his goal is to again represent his county in the championship quarterfinal on 1 June.

“I did not do the full session, or anything like it. But I am back running, doing a little bit of sprinting and kicking. So I am hoping that within the next month I will be back playing. It is just a matter of building up fitness and trying to get a bit of form back coming into the championship,” the Horeswood man said.

That Kildare side that beat us in the U-21 Leinster Final defeated Down in the All Ireland semi-final by 1-10 to 0-10 today. That’s the Down side that won the 2005 All Ireland minor title in 2005 which contained Martin Clarke and the likes. Missed the game but my Dad and brother said it was an absolutely outstanding game of football.

The lads were also telling me ex-Wexford player Ned Buggy, a Faythe Harrier’s club man like Richie Kehoe, had a strong attack on John Meyler on South East Radio in repsonse to Meyler having a go at Kehoe. Personally, I think Meyler’s a prick and he should fook off back to Cork forthwith.

I’ve sent Stevie G up to Rathdowney to report on our minor hurling championship clash against Laois and I’m just about to nip across to Wexford Park for the senior football game against Louth. That’s the kind of organisation that’ll see TFK going places.

Just back from Wexford Park where we disposed of Louth in a pretty impressive fashion by 2-16 to 0-15. 'Twas slightly tinged by Forde needlessly getting sent off in the last minute of injury time for a second yellow but we played some very good stuff. I’ll do a longer summary of the game in a while.

Stevie G has informed me that the minors won impressively against Laois by 5-19 to 2-11 but 'keeper Mark Fanning seemed to get a serious head / neck injury so hopefully he’ll be alright.

Senior hurlers taking on Offaly at 6pm up in Bunclody but I can’t be arsed going up. I’ve sent Appendage up there on behalf of TFK though and I’ll get him to report back.

'Gwan Wexford!

Right. I thought we played pretty well today and we opened up Louth on a number of accasions through slick, attacking football. 2-16 is an excellent tally and we could even afford 13 odd wides too so that emphasises the amount of chances we were able to create.

We got on top early on after they scored the first point of the game and never looked back to be honest. Our six forwards shared the scoring and accounted for 2-13 from play which is fair going. The midfield dominated for the vast majority of the game with Paddy Keenan (good player) only belatedly coming into it for them after Eric Bradley went off injured.

The defence was comfortable enough all through and they only really got a run of points near the end after we’d taken our foot off the gas somewhat in the last quarter after being 2-12 to 0-7 up by that stage. We were 0-10 to 0-5 up at half time after playing against the breeze and Forde and Roche got two well taken goals in the 3rd quarter to end the game as a contest.

Overall, the effort, application and quality was of a decent standard and, though there’s still much work to be done and this is only Division 3 after all, going through the 7 games undefeated is an excellent platform ahead of the championship season. The additional game to come against Fermanagh will also be another useful run out ahead of the championship opener against Meath or Carlow.

Well done to the lads and Jason Ryan and his backroom team. They surpassed my expectations at the outset of the campaign as I thought it would take longer for the new management team to bed themselves in. Fair play to all of them.

Ratings:

Masterson 7 - Not much to do. Made one good save just after we scored our first goal. Kick-outs were generally good bar a couple over the 70 minutes.

Malone 7 - Solid enough. Good positional sense, cut out a few attacks and set us off on the attack again.
Wallace 7 - Excellent in the first half and dominated his patch. Shane Lennon tested him more in the second half and got a couple of points but was safe and secure.
Murphy, N 6.5 - Booked for a late tackle in their first attack and subsequently ticked before half time. In between he was his usual dogged self and did quite well. Probably a shrewd enough decision by Ryan to take him off at half time as he was on a knife-edge with a second yellow on the cards.

Morrissey 7.5 - Thought he was excellent. Aggressive and sharp in defence and drove forward with possession and in support too.
Murphy, D 7 - Another solid performance. Held the centre well, made a number of good interceptions and tackles and was quietly competent.
Morris 7 - Played well in the first half and got forward intelligently before retiring injured at half time.

Doyle 7.5 - Won oceans of possession and passed it on simply and effectively. Did exactly what he’s in the side to do.
Bradley 7.5 - Held the upper hand over Keenan while on the park and along with Doyle ensured we dominated that sector.

Roche 7.5 - Hovers around the periphery of the game but has an uncanny knack of appearing in the right position to receive a pass in a dangerous area. Scored 1-2 from play - 2 first half points and a quality left-footed finish from a great PJ Banville pass after driving in from the right wing and receiving the pass at pace.
Barry 9 - A joy to watch. Perpetual motion all over the park and dictated our whole attacking game with his quality passing and play-making. Kicked three superb second half points from play too. MOTM.
Flynn 8 - Great workrate all through and in both halves of the pitch and also knocked over 3 smashing points - 2 with his left and 1 with his right.

Lyng 7 - Did quite well despite still not looking as sharp as last season. Kicked an excellent early free from a tight angle and fisted another from play. Also had an assist for Forde’s goal and finished with 3 points, 2 from frees.
Banville 7.5 - Worked his balls off and made countless runs to provide a passing option to the man in possession. Was rewarded with a point from play in each half and did excellently to link up with Roche for the second goal.
Forde 7.5 - Finished with 1-3, all but a point from play. Quality lofted point with his left before half time and then took his goal beautifully - dispossessed their defender, played a sharp one-two with Lyng and dispatched it to the top corner with the outside of his right foot. Scored the last point of the game then with his back to the goal from out wide before getting stupidly sent off.

Subs:
Walsh: Found it tough enough going against their pacy corner forward.
Curtis: Not overly involved.
Howlin: Important to get more game time ahead of the championship.
Stafford: See Howlin.
Byrne: Got the last couple of minutes.

Wexford had an extremely encouraging defeat against Offaly in Bunclody this evening going down to the inbred midlanders by 2-19 to 0-17.

I was briefly talking to Appendage, who was there, and he said Offaly were sharper on the night. Wexford conceded 9 points from frees and both goals came from long balls that were deflected / touched into the net. The teams lined out with most of their recognised first choice players too.

A slightly flattering margin of victory to Offaly overall but it bodes extremely well for the championship to see us managing to hold the biffs to a mere 8 points defeat on our own patch.

Meyler out.

Babdage, reading your comments on this and wexfordsupporters, sounds to me as if you havent a clue to be honest. All this meyler out crap, drives me mad and i’ve been biting my tongue long enough know reading it all.

It’s about opinions - you have yours and I have mine. I think Meyler’s a disaster and I don’t really see him having any redeeming qualities in terms of man management, team selection, tactical awareness or ability to influence a game while it’s in progress. Also, I’ve made 2 posts ever on the Wexford site so it’s hardly a matter of me consistently being on his case.

As Bandage eluded to earlier, our minor hurlers were in action in rathdownney yesterday against laois in the leinster MHC. they won by a convincing margin of 5-19 to 2-11.

To be honest after an impressive start which actually saw them lead by 1-8 to 0-2 they kind of found it hard to keep going (much like wexford against leitrim in the park a few weeks back).

I suppose conceding 2-11 to laois may be a worry but as i said, we were very far ahead befor laois made any inroads. I really feel this is a solid minor team that if coached properly could achieve something. They are strong all over the park and have great ball winners in shane tomkins and andrew shore in the forwards. Michael o hanlon at full forward was also very impressive yesterday. still need to see more from the likes of joe kelly however.

A very tenacious set of backs, including the outstanding Eoin Moore, also with a very capable 'keeper behind them in Mark Fanning. Hopefully mark will be ok after suffering what looked like a stinger injury yesterday. I saw him after the game and he looked very groggy but was on his feet at least.

All in all an encouraging win despite the concession of 2-11. Im told it now sets up a quarter final clash with offaly in two weeks although im reluctant to confirm this as im not 100% sure.

Delighted the footballers got over the finish line and a league final against one of the form teams in the country is ideal championship preparation.

Bout time someone stood up to you fooko. You’ve been swaning around on this forum for long enough bullying the defenceless posters like farmer et all. Well said Gavin.

Look, I’ll have no problems breaking your legs before your wedding.

Cheers for the minor report Stevie G.