Wexford GAA 2008

It’s not only the Wexford forum, it’s this one too. I have faith in the current management team. People have been on there backs far to much, no matter what they do, they seem to be wrong by all the ‘supporters’ whom all make out to be experts. It’s nothing to do with the management team the way Wexford are going, it’s the attitude by the players. Even Declan Ruth, Rory Mac and Mitch had the wrong attitude this year, there is at least a half an hours hurling on a big day in Croke Park in each of them, but no they all walked away which is typical. There’s no more Billy Byrnes around Wexford anymore, a man who only had maybe ten minutes hurling in him towards the end of his career, but he still played till he was 40 cause he knew he could make an impact in the 10 minutes he’d be on the field, and also for his love of pulling on the purple and gold jersey. People are praising them for the service they gave to Wexford hurling, f**k the praise cause they all know they could have kept going.

Yes, they’ve walked away this year alright but after giving many, many years of exceptional service. Do you not read anything into the state of the set-up under Meyler from the fact they’ve all retired? Do you think they would have given it one more year if they were satisfied in the camp? Christ, look how Skippy was treated last year - played out of position against Dublin and Kilkenny and taken off in the latter match after about 15 minutes. He was treated incredibly shabbily for someone who’s given years to Wexford hurling. I was delighted for him personally when he played so well against Tipperary as he didn’t deserve to go out like that. Aside from the previous campaign, Meyler’s treatment of John Breen this season and then his public outburst at Richie Kehoe lead me to conclude he’s an arrogant dictator. If he had the tactical nous on the sideline and the managerial ability to set us up competitively then I wouldn’t really care about his personality traits. But in my opinion is he’s a dick and a mediocre manager.

Welcome to TFK Gavin, I noticed Bandage’s manners once again leave alot to be desired.

Your point re current players and mangement is ok but this bit is ridiculous.

RMc played from 1994 - 2007, DRuth 1995 - 2007 and MJordan from 1995 - 2007.

Now you tell me they are not entitled to retire? They are all over 30, and their careers have spanned the most time consuming and physically challenging era of gaelic games. And with all due respect, how do you know that they know they could’ve kept going? You don’t I would imagine.

And BByrne didn’t play till he was 40.

Bandage you’re an ill informed fool too by the way.

Yes, Skippy was played out of his position, but look, you ask most inter-county players, i think more than half will tell you there not playing in there best positions. Rossi for example, his best position is centre back, without a doubt, but still, when he’s given the number 3 jersey, he wears it with pride and just wants to do his best for his county and goes out and plays out of his skin most days. Eoin Quigley too, i think centre back is also his best position, he does so well there for the Martins and still when he’s named at centre forward, he tries his best and doesn’t mope around giving out about it, like Skippy done last year. Stamp aswell, played at full forward for the league even though his best position is midfield, he still went out and did his best and scored a couple of goals nearly every game he was played there.

The Richie Kehoe thing, well i don’t know, it seems most people are angry at Meyler for being angry about the whole issue, but for christ sake, what do we expect, one of our better hurlers from last year has just walked away form the whole set-up after the winter training, do we think that Meyler is going to be on a merry-go-round and on a high because of it? Who could possibly blame him for going mad. I agree with him, 100 per cent, i think one person said this and since then everyone has just jumped in on that band-wagon.

By the way Bandage, i’m not trying to provoke you or anything, these are just my opinions, ok?..friend!!

Ok, what was Billy Byrne? Close enough to 40, a man who was never fit, and always had that disadvantage, he still burst a gut until he couldn’t go no more. As regards to the 3 lads, they did enough for me last year to suggest they could go another year.

Meyler has delivered an AI title in his first season. How many of these have we won in the last ten years, he must have something going for him. Alright he is not the first fool to win an AI, but he will do for me, give him another couple of years and lets see what progress he makes.

Yes Appendage, Meyler has a great rapport with the players and they respect him greatly. He’s shown a great ability to influence games with his positional and personnel changes and doesn’t just stand motionless with a clueless expression on his face without acting decisively when we’re getting the shit beaten out of us. He’s also set us up very well and bedded down the spine of a team over two league campaigns. It’s not as if last year Skippy Ruth was played full back when everybody, absolutely everybody, could see the position didn’t remotely suit him. This year Willie Doran played centre back for most of the league and is then moved to wing forward before being jettisoned completely. Gizzy Lyng - wing back, taken off, brought back in the same game full forward, dropped for a game, now wing forward. I’d say lads like Darren Stamp and Doc O’Connor also have no fooking idea where he’s going to ask them to play each time they turn up at training. And this is after two league campaigns and a championship one in between - I don’t think he has a clue himself what he’s doing to be honest.

[quote=“Gavin”]
Ok, what was Billy Byrne? Close enough to 40, a man who was never fit, and always had that disadvantage, he still burst a gut until he couldn’t go no more. As regards to the 3 lads, they did enough for me last year to suggest they could go another year.[/quote]

Who says he was never fit, I remember a rampant Billy Byrne flying around Croke Park in the 1988 Leinster Final defeat to Offaly. You are talking anecdotal nonsense.

They can retire whenever the fook they like - provided they do it with decency like they have done.

How the fook do you know what the rapport is like Bandage?

And as for the experimentation, so fooking what? He has had to try something. Its not as if we’ve had a settled spine for years. I don’t want to get personal but you’re some clown.

I do want to get personal either but the facts are you are indeed a bigger fooking clown than me. Most of the experimentation he does is illogical and wrong - Skippy at full back etc. If there’s was any evidence of a semblance of a structure or plan then fair enough but he’s ripping up the team sheet on a completely ad hoc basis. And then there’s certain other players who appear undroppable no matter how rubbish they’re playing. Meyler Out! Out! Out!

and that numpty Bealin got the junior footballers to an all-ireland final. I dont see too many people missing him now his gone despite this “great” achivement.

Babndage, he has to try something? How is he ever going to find out about lads if he doesn’t try them? Have a bit of cop on, seriously. I’m not saying Meyler is a genius and i dont agree with everything he does, for instance, after the antrim game he walked away and left one of the selectors Willie Sunderland to answer the media and talk to the players. I disagreed totally with that, you dont walk away from a ship that was already sinking like that and come back into the dressing room the next day and expect to have a say the next day. Despite all this, i think he needs a little more time, there’s some young hurlers coming up and i think the current managment team are the team that will guide them to success. Have faith and stop with the Meyler out shite. It’s getting more annoying everytime.

Meyler out.

In fairness, winning an All Ireland Intermediate title is a nothing achievement.

My patience with Meyler is wearing thin enough and I’ve long said he has no man management abilities. You could even see that as far back as the Walsh Cup match against Antrim last season down at St Martins pitch. There doesnt seem to be any sort of a plan other than pick a big lad at full forward and lump balls in on top of him.

The KK league match this season was the most depressing GAA game I’ve ever gone to and on that basis alone I have little or no expectation of us doing anything this year. I almost wish that we get beaten by Dublin cos we dont deserve to beat them at the moment. Not sure if it was on this site or not but someone pointed out that under Meyler, we have beaten Clare, Waterford, Tipp, Galway, and got close to Cork twice. What about getting beaten by Antrim, 4 hammerings from KK, another one from Waterford, beating Dublin with a last minute free from a dubious foul and then not managing to beat them at home.

I dont think I’ve ever been as disallusioned with Wexford Hurling in all my life. Players dont want to play, I couldnt blame Richie for heading off to the states. It really shows how the spirit in the camp must be though. I’ll resign myself to hoping for a good campaign from the minor hurlers and senior footballers as I dont think anyone else will do anything this year.

Fair play to the footballers yesterday. The final is fixed for 12.30 in Parnell Park next Sunday apparently.

Well ya see Mac, that’s just it, your even defeating yourself as a supporter already, everyone has to believe something will happen. I know things haven’t been and aren’t going well, but like we have to get behind the team and give them all the support we can get. For instance, Tipperary, beaten by Wexford last year in an all ireland quater final, i’m sure all there supporters were fed up to and i know they were all calling for babs head but they still never stopped believing something was gonna happen, and look at them now, league champions and looking good for the championship, same as galway, there supporters must be pretty annoyed to with having achieved nothing in awhile, but there they were yesterday, playing in an excellent league final and are looking good for championship also

Yep Mac, we’re on next Sunday in Parnell Park at 12.30pm. The Division 1 final is on after our game at 2.15pm.

dont have a huge amount of time for Meyler either. just seems like something’s not right. however, this doesnt mean im going to stop supporting the team, of course not. but everyone is entitled to an opinion.

your argument re tipp gavin i find very strange. yes, people in tipp were dissillusioned with babs, they get rid of him and liam sheedy comes in and with very few changes to personnel has made a huge difference in terms of commitment and intensity it seems. they are now considered by many to be very close this year. so surely that vindicates tipps decision to get rid of babs and replace him with a more competent manager?

Yes, but Babs is a man who has been around the Tipperary hurling scene a long long time and greater things were expected of him, whereas Meyler came in virtually unknown to Wexford hurling and thats why i’ve been saying to give him and his selectors time. In a year or 2 (which i know it’s not) if the same things that are happening as they are now, well then i’ll be saying it’s time to go but for now, i’m sticking with him, as i will for the rest of this season.

dont know much about either the set up/politics in wexford hurling or john meylor to be honest but meylor seems like a bit of a thick-headed man(ask the cork boys and mark landers)…seems the players may well have walked away as they mightn’t have much time for him…

Landers is sound.

Ruth, McCarthy and Jordan retired. End of story. Nothing to do with Meyler. It was common knowledge this time last year that 2007 was it for at least 2 of them. Kehoe is gone to America.

Bandage’s sack the manager stance is typical of modern day Irish sport.

The gash thing is, there isn’t exactly a queue of better qualified canditates ready and waiting to take the post.

At least we gave Kilkenny the odd game when Maggot was in charge.

Bring back Maggot.

[quote=“Bandage”]At least we gave Kilkenny the odd game when Maggot was in charge.

Bring back Maggot.[/quote]

Are you the one who spit in Griffin’s face in Bellefield in 1995, after Meath beat us and told him to stick to frying the rashers?