Wexford GAA 2008

Just to let you know, the Wexford game will be shown on TG4.
http://www.tg4.ie/Bearla/Spor/gaa.htm

[quote=“Pikeman”]Just to let you know, the Wexford game will be shown on TG4.
http://www.tg4.ie/Bearla/Spor/gaa.htm[/quote]

Cheers Pikeman, do you know if they have an archive or anything where you can watch games on their site afterwards? Actually, I’ll ask Rocko to record it and put it up here next week in any case. I won’t get to watch it on tv on Sunday as I’ll be in Glasgow for the derby and both games are on at 12.30pm.

My mistake-it wont be on. Forgot we were in Div 3 when I hastily copied and posted the link up.

On mature recollection-TG4 are now showing the Wexford match-
http://www.tg4.ie/Bearla/Scei/scei.php?date=2008-04-27

Anyone know if the Wexford game’s on telly on Sunday?

There’s a rumour that its on TG4 I think

I’ll check TG4s schedule, on the hour, every hour.

Crushing defeat for hurlers
by Richard Wickham

Wexford attacker Eanna Martin during Sunday evenings senior hurling challenge in Bunclody. Pic: John Walsh. Offaly 2-19 Wexford 0-16

AS THE daylight was just beginning to fade in Bunclody on Sunday evening, the Wexford senior hurlers were warming-up for the game ahead.

They faced formidable opposition in Offaly, who looked supremely comfortable and confident during their warm-up session. Judging by the teams enthusiasm in those pre-match sessions alone it looked like the fans were in for a fantastic game.

This was made even more apparent when only moments after the throw-in, there was an almighty crash as the sound of two hurls smashing into each other echoed around the field. Shards of ash flew through the air as men and hurls collided in mid-air. The match was well and truly living-up to expectations.

Offaly drew first blood, when Brian Carroll scored a superb point from 30 yards. This was not left unanswered, as within moments Eoin Quigley belted home the equaliser for Wexford. This was in turn followed by Rory Jacobss rocket over the bar, which gave Wexford an early lead.

The match was now in full swing, with both sides finding their form. Wexford were on the offensive, but Offaly were by no means making life easy for the Model County men. The sliotar was soaring back and forth, both teams furiously battling for possession, every touch being crucial, with even the slightest mistake being heavily penalised.

Offaly made some key errors which Stephen Nolan capitalised on when taking the frequent frees. More often than not the ball went straight over the bar, or into the waiting hands of one of his team-mates, much to the relief of the home fans. Sadly this was not enough, as the Offaly forwards broke through the Wexford backs again and again. Things were beginning to look bleak for Wexford. If they wanted to stay in the game they needed to pull-off something brilliant.

Despite leading for almost all the first-half, Wexford were unable to hold onto their lead, and Offaly were soon pulling ahead. Offaly were on top form, and more often than not when the sliotar was in the air it was an Offaly man who got to it first.

Midway into the second-half Wexford seemed to be making a comeback until Alan Egan slipped the sliotar into the back of the net, giving Offaly a convincing lead. This left the home-side reeling for a few minutes, with most of play taking place in Wexford territory.

Nevertheless, the match was far from over, with Wexford down but by no means out. Clawing back points as they were never quite ready to admit defeat, they fought on doggedly, attacking the Offaly backs.

The crowd was growing tense as the final minutes of the game drew closer. At one stage Wexford were only three points behind, and it almost looked as if they might get the goal and pull off the win.

Alas this was not to be. As the game drew to a close, things were all but over when Offalys Brian Carroll let fly again and scored his second goal of the day. This sadly seemed to be the ruination of Wexfords morale and that of the fans. Fight as they may have, the win now seemed totally unobtainable. The air was completely calm as the final whistle blew; the final scores were Offaly 2-19, Wexford 0-16.
AdTech Ad

This crushing defeat coupled by the bitter cold left a melancholy air about the fans as they left the grounds in near silence.

Where did you source the report Mac? The intro for is like something Vincent Hogan would write on the morning after an All-Ireland final.

Fairly accurate report i think…

What would everyones champioship team be?? YOUR team, doesn’t have to be in the current squad, just interested to see everyones choice…

“I learned that the only way you are going to get anywhere in life is to work hard at it. Whether you’re a musician, a writer, an athlete or a businessman, there is no getting around it. If you do, you’ll win–if you don’t, you won’t.”

Its fairly gay alright and the score is wrong too.

I would have Matty “The Sieve” White in goal and play Fitzy full forward. He plays really well for his club there.

Matty White saved my life
I said Matty White saved my life
And if Matty White saved your life
Or got you back with your ex-wife
Said Matty White

Can anyone confirm if Matty White has legs or not? He always wore tracksuit bottoms in goal even on roasting hot days in the summer. Actually, didn’t he wear tracksuit bottoms when he was hurling wing forward for Bannow?

Ok, but what would your teams in full be… Don’t shy away from the question and answer it!!!

I don’t know to be honest. Richie Kehoe leaving and John Meyler acting like a complete arsehole has pissed me off and I’m concentrating on the footballers for the moment as far as the senior teams go.

Congratulations to Wexford footballers on their victory yesterday. Can anyone who was there maybe do a brief summary and player ratings or something please?

Great win today, and great to get some silverware. Again, the Wexford supporters didnt get out for their team, but at this stage, anyone following the footballers is well used to it, but its still a shame that people wont give support these lads representing our county with so much heart and passion.

It was a sloppy game, and 2 teams who seemed a bit tentative. Some really poor shooting and decisions, and altho it was exciting, it was poor quality.

We played well at times, and had some good movement. But we also played poor at times, and were sloppy with passes.

My own ratings:
Masterson - 7. Didnt have a lot to do, but was sound enough. Had a couple of poor kickouts, and was missing for 2 dangerous high balls in that could have ended in the net.
Malone - 9. My man of the match. He was immense, and ran himself into the ground. A huge game and carried so much ball out of defense and was pushing up a lot.
Wallace - 7. Solid enough, and attacked the ball well, but still a bit dodgy under a high ball.
Morris - 7.5. Was composed on the ball and did well enough defensively. Was missed when he went off injured.
Morrisey -6. And thats being generous. Game passed him by completely. Didnt do anything wrong as such, but just didnt get into it.
Murphy - 8. Very solid. His distribution today was also excellent and played some lovely angled balls into the corners.
Mutley - 8.5. Was excellent, and one of our best players. Was solid defensively and brought the ball out well. wasted very little and I dont think he fouled very often at all, suprisingly enough!
Doyle - 5. Again, very generous to give him 5. First half he broke some ball, didnt win anything clean, and to be honest, I barely remember him even touching the ball again until he went off at half time in extra time. There was stages where he was standing off kickouts waiting for breaks. He should have been imposing himself on lickouts as that is his only strength.
Bradley - 7.5. Played well with some very obvious strapping on his leg. Didnt seem to be injured when he came off and seemed a suprise to me. Won a lot of kickouts he had no right to, and tried get on the ball a lot.
Roche - 6.5. Had some good passes and spells, but seemed to bypass him a bit. Had a couple of shooting chances too which he missed.
Barry - 7.5. Thought he had a very good game, and passed well for the most part. Unlucky to be sent off, second tackle was a booking, but the first was so early, and from my viewpoint, it looked like the corner back ran at him.
Flynn - 7. Did well for the goal and scored a nice point and generally worked hard, but faded out a lot.
Lyng - 7.5. Won a lot of ball, but really should have more points on the board at the end of the game. Bad shooting at times, and one terrible free.
Banville- 7.5. Far better when he was moved out the field, and really got on the ball well. Gto some nice scores too, and should have got a free at the end to win it, but the ref chickened out of the decision.
Forde - 8. Took some really good scores, missed a few too, and got involved in a bit of niggle at times too, but all in all, a good game. Why did he get a yellow? Its not a yellow card offence to throw away the ball in Gaelic football.
subs:
Walsh - 7. Shored up the defense and made an excellent block seconds after coming onto the field.
Howlin - 6.5. Won some good ball, but fumbled a bit too.
Byrne - 6. Didnt really add anything to the side
O’Sullivan - 6. Again, didnt add much, but was solid enough in the backs. Again tho, a stupid yellow card for an off the ball incident.
Colfer - 7.5. Excellent, and changed the game in our favour. Was a target at full forward we missed, and was very composed on the ball. Got a couple of vital scores.
Brosnan - 6. Didnt do a whole lot.
Stafford - 6.5. Again, not really on long enough, but added to the midfiled which we generally lost out the battle throughout.

Think that was all, from what I can remember anyway. A good result more so than performance, and good to get one over Fermanagh at last.

I though our half back line was excellent, especially with Murphy, Mutley and Malone. Midfield we lost out a lot, and if Boccy isnt winning kickouts or at least getting under them, then he is lost on the field. Our inside forward line were very sharp and out in front, but we did waste a lot of good chances.

All in all tho, a great day, and good to get some silverware. Congrats to all involved

Cheers Gman - great for the lads to get some kind of silverware for their efforts, especially stalwarts like Wallace, Morris, Forde and the likes. That said the main work starts here and the aim should be double-edged - to reach a Leinster Final and make the All-Ireland quarter finals. Too often in recent years we’ve lost a provincial semi-final and failed to rouse ourselves for a qualifier run and we need to prevent that from happening again if we don’t meet our objectives in Leinster. There’s still plenty of improvement to come in the side and probably 3 or 4 positions in the side up for grabs so training for the next 5 weeks should be competitive.

Your favourite local paper Bandage!

What I wrote on the Wx Supporters site:

Well first time I’ve seen a wexford team win in Parnell Park so my opinions might be slightly tarnished by an afternoons drinking. Couple of points:

Fermanagh ran through our backs in the first half as if they weren’t there
If Fermanagh brough their shooting boots the match wouldnt have gone to extra time
Fermanaghs goalie is one of the dodgiest I have ever seen
We now have a forward unit capable of winning us a Leinster title if our midfield and half backs supply them with enough ball.
Ciaran Lyng should become more selfish
When Mattie tries he is untouchable
Wexford supporters will never follow the footballers in numbers
I was wrong about Phillip Wallace after the Longford match. What he has lost in pace he makes up for with intelligent play
Morris and Muttley are better as wing backs
Tommy Howlin should offload the ball as soon as possible
PJ Banville stood up when it mattered and got 2 crucial scores towards the end. Fair play as I wanted him to be taken off.
Boccy was unfortunately found out today for what he is but why didnt any of our half forwards run on to the 5 or 6 clean punches he made into space?
The ref was diabolical

Am trying to keep this brief believe it or not! We got lucky but yet fair f*cks to this team. The finally closed out a high profile game that was there for the taking. To anyone who was there: fair play. All 100 of us were proud Wexford people today.

Did anyone see Ryan pull Mattie aside at half time in extra time? He spoke to him for about 2 mins on his own. Almost trying to encourage him and tell him to just to the simple things right. First ball Mattie gets - ball across for a point. 10 mins later and he has 3 or 4 more points on the board. Even the Kerry lads around us were in awe of him. He only looked half interested at times but we’ll never win anything without him.

Fair play to the team, management and supporters who turned out today. We wont win anything this year if we play like that again but yet the lads never gave up and kept on fighting, like they have all year. I was proud to be there today to witness what might be our only national title of 2008.

Masterson - 6.5
Some good kickouts, some bad ones. Was in no mans land for a couple of high balls that nearly ended in goals.
Malone - 8
Shels man was brilliant. Pure effort for the whole game and I’d hate this lad to be marking me. Made some great runs too.
Wallace - 7.5
If we find ourselves without Wallace at any stage-our fBack line is fecked. Not great on the highball but he did well enough marking his man.
Morris - 7.5.
The man never gives up. Shaky start but got into it and a pity he’d to go off injured for the extra time.
Morrisey -5.5
Didn’t do well. Not enough tackling and went through him a bit easy.
Murphy - 9
My Motm. Came out with possession on many’s an occasion and sent great ball into the forward line.
Mutley - 8.5
Some battler. Tough as teak but usually gives away a hundred frees per game but not today. Great performance
Doyle - 4
Very Very poor. Can’t remember him winning an ounce of possession.
Bradley - 7
Our only ball winner in the midfield but Fermanagh ruled the roost here and was cleaned out at times-but with no help from his midfield partner it’s hard to do it all on your own.
Roche - 6
Seemed to start well but faded and not really a threat at all
Barry - 7
As usual, was everywhere. Set up attack after attack. Fouled his man when he had to and was duly sent off for a 2nd yellow-even though his first yellow was for nothing.
Flynn - 7.5
Got a lovely point and goal and added to the attacking threat. Faded a bit though as the game went on when we really needed him to get a hold of the ball. But overall did well.
Lyng - 7.5.
Was impressed with Lyng (Or Long as he was on the programme!) because he’s only really getting back to match fitness. Had great pace and won ball that other’s would have given up on. His disaster of a free from 20 yards out in 2nd half-the only blot on his performance.
Banville- 7.5
Excellent. Won a good bit of ball and set up lads around him. Probably could have scored more though.
Forde - 8.5
Scored a goal and a few points in normal time but was bit off his game I thought and missed a couple of frees he’d normally get in his sleep. The real Forde came out in Extra Time though.
subs:
Walsh - 7, Byrne - 6.5, Howlin - 7, O’Sullivan - 6.5, Colfer - 7.5. (Changed the game scoring 1-1 but should have got a goal instead of the point he scored) Stafford - 6.5, Brosnan - 5