Wexford GAA 2008

[quote=“Mac”]What I wrote on the Wx Supporters site:

Well first time I’ve seen a wexford team win in Parnell Park so my opinions might be slightly tarnished by an afternoons drinking. [/quote]

Some fan you are Mac - even I’ve seen Wexford win a football match at Parnell Park and I’m not even from there.

http://dynimg.rte.ie/000171c210dr.jpg

AFTER 90 years waiting to claim a national trophy, Wexford footballers left Parnell Park yesterday with the O’Byrne Cup and not the trophy for the Allianz National Football League Division 3 league title, which they captured at the expense of Fermanagh.

And to complete a miserable PR week for the GAA, there were more red faces as Division 4 champions Offaly were presented with the Division 3 Cup after a trophy mix-up.

The Division 3 Cup should have been in Parnell Park for the meeting of Wexford and Fermanagh, with its Division 4 equivalent supposed to be in Portlaoise for the Offaly-Tipperary decider.

Embarrassing

However, in another embarrassing own goal for the Croke Park hierarchy, the trophies turned up at the wrong venues.

As a result, officials at both presentations had to improvise.

The O’Byrne Cup, which is in Dublin’s possession since their win over Longford earlier this season, was presented to Wexford, while Offaly got to lift the Division 3 Cup – perhaps, a portent of things to come as they will be determined to rise through the rankings after escaping from Division 4.

A packaging error was blamed for the mix-up.

Meanwhile, hot favourites Kerry suffered a surprise loss at the hands of Derry in the Division 1 decider at Parnell Park.

The Ulster side showed tremendous battling qualities to claim a four-point victory in a game which saw Kerry star Colm Cooper come off the bench in the second half, but the Dr Crokes ace didn’t last long on the field as he was sent off for two yellow card offences.

Despite their loss, Kerry remain hot favourites to retain the All-Ireland SFC title with their odds remaining unchanged at 5/4, while Derry are now 14/1

[size=24]NFL DIVISION 3 CHAMPIONS-2008[/size]

Thanks for all those reports bhoys. Gwan Wexford!

Nice pic there Pikeman - just seeing it now as it was a ‘red x’ in work yesterday - can you please make me one with all of our great hurlers of the past please?

I’ll see if I can do er up for Friday

Thank you Sir.

I look forward to checking out this ‘red x’ later.

thats class, fair play to ya. bangage you’ll be pleased!!

That’s a savage picture Pikeman. It’s my wallpaper in work here.

Is Liam Dunne in that or can I just not see him?

He’s to the right of Larry O. Side profile of him.

The only person who’d add to it is Billy Byrne. Aside from that I think you have it spot on!

The rights to Byrne’s photo were sky high so had to leave him out. Plus I still hold a slight grudge on him for 93. I know the things he did after that but 93 still makes me grind my teeth.

Darragh Ryan, now there’s a good hurler.

Good stuff Pikeman, that looks the part.

Barry Lambert is out for the entire championship as he needs a groin operation. Quite a blow as he had a good season last year and seemed to be transferring his club form across to the county team and we’re not blessed with scoring forwards.

Martin Codd also passed away. A Wexford legend and a great man too.

Is he the celebrated fiddler who I saw on Nationwide last week?

It possibly was as he wrote and performed songs after retiring from playing. He was also in a showband back in the day. As an aside, the showband era is one of the most cringeworthy elements of Irish history.