Wexford GAA 2008

Offaly beat Kildare in the minor hurling today by 4-12 to 1-7 so we’ll be facing the biffs in the quarter final. I look forward to Gavin’s match report on the big game.

I also heard from a fairly reliable source there’s been a few Wexford panel withdrawals after another player was called up to the squad in the week prior to the Laois game and started on the Sunday. Their gripe was being overlooked despite training since November whereas the management were on record as saying the squad was open and anyone could be called up at any time if their club / school / college form warranted it.

Well went to the game, good game until around the 45th minute mark. Kildare possession wise were killing them but just could not get good quality ball into the forward line, they also missed vital frees at vital times. They were 2 points to no score up when they got a 21 yard free and went for goal but the keeper saved it, went straight down the pitch when offaly were awarded a penalty and bang, a goal, infairness to Kildare they were fighting back with everything they had, but their keeper had a howler and i have to say, the three goals after that all should have been stopped. As regards to Offaly, Wexford should beat them with a comfortable margin. There full forward was a big talll man who was winning everything but then went and got himself a silly straight red. The referee was aodhan mac suibhne’s son, and he was an absoulote joke, he did kildare no favours whatsoever, didnt even allow josling.

Bandage, Wexford playing Limerick tomorrow, are you going or will i have to report for that one to?!

Going to Limerick tomorrow for a challenge game is not on my agenda!

Would appreciate a brief report on the game if you’re going down to it though.

I am indeed going down, christ, i really am a GAA loser.
Will do a report the best i can.
Reckon they should try the likes of brendan travers and tonks, see what there worth.

Nothing wrong with keeping the faith even if others, like me, have lost it. I’ll look forward to the report tomorrow evening.

Just saw on AFR that Limerick won by 1-25 to 3-15. 25 points is some concession to a team like them.

Limerick Team

Team
Brian Murray
Damien Reale
Damien Cosgrave
Kieran O Rourke
Peter Lawlor
Paudie Dwyer
Seamus Hickey
James Ryan
Donal O’Grady
Kevin Ryan
Seanie O’Connor
Mike O’Brien
Andrew O’Shaughnessey
Niall Moran
Eoin Ryan

Subs:
Mark Foley
Kevin Tobin
Wayne Mac
Possibly more

Well i went to the game, a very good game at that and was happy enough despite coming out on the losing side. Forwrd were very poor in the first half apart from Darren Stamp and Stephen Nolan, Nolan finished up with 1-12, 1-7 coming fro play, himself and Stamp were kinda switching between centre forward and full forward. Michael Jacob was wing back, and believe it or not lads, he hurled very well on Mike O Brien, even caught 3 or 4 very good balls. John O Connor was full back on Niall Moran, hurled well but a fair bit scored off him as Moran was just to strong for him. Roche and Mal Travers either side of John O hurled very well, Roche holding Shaughnessy scoreless from play and was subsituted as a result of geting roasted. Fitzy in behind these fella’s was looking his best again, pulling off 3 wonder saves. Doc was centre back and hurled ok, in the first half wasnt great but got going a bit in the 2nd half, belive he’s getting married this week so perhaps that was on his mind. Ciaran Kenny had a very good game, cleaning up alot of ball and bursting out rather than stepping back in trouble. Colm Farrell and Tommy Dwyer didn’t get going at all, Farrell was the better of the 2, scored a nice point and tried hard, but not alot came off, Dwyer, well just got pushed off a bit too easily, it’s a pity about his size, he’s a fine huler but just too small, having said that, i think he’d be the right man for 'Cha Fitzpatrick if we come across Kilkenny, same type of hurler and would be very interesting battle. On to the forwards, PJ Nolan, disastorous, hit one ball all day ad just rolled wide, maybe caught up in exams or something i dont know but not showing his ability at all. Stamo was good, work rate was excellent and spread the ball around very well, set up Stephan Doyle’s goal with a lovely ball, Doyle himself tried hard but wasn’t getting the right ball until the 2nd half when he scored 1-1 and again work rate was excellent. Eoin Quigley was non-existent for long stages, scored a good goal infairness and got involved as the game went on. Stephen Nolan was brilliant, his best display in a Purple&Gold jersey, 1-12 is a great return, 1-7 from play as i already stated, most of his hurling was done at centre forward, scored 5 points from play off Mark Foley when he went on. Then Rory Jacob, he was vey poor, touch was all over the place and just wasn’t himself, moving well alright but just couldn’t get anything out of the very tight markng Damian Reale.

Team in full was:

1. Damian Fitzhenry
  2. Malachy Travers
  3. John O’ Connor
  4. Paul Roche
  5. Michael Jacob
  6. David ‘DOC’ O Connor
  7. Ciaran Kenny
  8. Tommy Dwyer
  9. Colm Farrell
  10. PJ Nolan
  11. Darren Stamp
  12. Stephen Doyle
  13. Eoin Quigley
  14. Stephen Nolan
  15. Rory Jacob

Just on the subs thatcame in, Mick Doyle came on for Rory and was very good, caught ball and was laying it off at speed everytime, ver impressive. Stephen Banville came on for Stepen Doyle ( went off with an injury, didn’t look to serious thankfully ) and was good too, broke alot of ball and caught ball too, only problem was that there ws no one coming in for the breaks. MJ Furlong came on for Dwyer and wasn’t great, was letting his man bully him around. Benny’O Leary came on for Farrell and tried his best. John Roche came on for brother Paul ( also injured, was just a smack on the shin i think ) cleared the one ball that went his way.

Quigley at corner forward and MJ at wing back? Holy Jaysus!

While 1-12 for one man is a great score it hardly fills a lad with confidence that the other 14 players managed 2-3 between them.

Cheers for the report Gavin.

Cheers for the report Gavin. What was the full time score?

No problem lads, Bandage full time score was 1-25 to 3-15.
There playing Laois this saturday in Farmleigh or the Duffry not too sure…

[quote=“Gavin”]No problem lads, Bandage full time score was 1-25 to 3-15.
There playing Laois this saturday in Farmleigh or the Duffry not too sure…[/quote]

If you get anymore information Gavin will you post it up here. I’m knocking around Enniscorthy on Saturday so wouldnt mind going up to take a look at them.

Mac, would ya do us a favour please?? I registered on wexford forum a year ago, april 2007, check for yourself if you want, it says i’m a member but i haven’t been activated or anything, do you know what the story is there at all?

Been biting my tongue looking at it for a long time now!

[quote=“Gavin”]Mac, would ya do us a favour please?? I registered on wexford forum a year ago, april 2007, check for yourself if you want, it says i’m a member but i haven’t been activated or anything, do you know what the story is there at all?

Been biting my tongue looking at it for a long time now![/quote]

There was a load of people who registered over there who never got the codes. The best thing to do is probably to re-register with a name like Gavin2 or something like that. I dont know who the main administrator is over there any more. It was a fella called Waterboy but I dont know what happened him. Like you can see I’ve been trying to get the home page updated for 9-10 months now but have had no response!

If you need a reference from another messageboard just let me know Gavin/Gavin2. It can be tough to get a foot on the ladder sometimes.

Ok, thanks lads. Yeah have seen that alright, homepage stil as hurlers match v galway and football match v tipp last time i checked???

That match with laois is in the duffry by the way.

[quote=“Gavin”]

That match with laois is in the duffry by the way.[/quote]

Any idea of a time Gavin?

Game vs Laois is at 2 bells Mac

Anyone else think the senior hurling management team should be sacked now before the start of the championship? I do.

Cheers Gavin

Possibly, if there was someone to come in but I dont think anyone would take it. Meyler will be gone after this year anyway I’d say.