Wexford GAA 2008

We were well in the game at 2-5 to 1-5 down apparently but then the Cork camogie team were told to get off the pitch by Gerald McCarthy. Anyway, the senior men’s team came on then and rattled us with 4 or 5 quick scores and then things went from bad to worse when Gizzy got sent off. We woould have limited it to less than a 20-point defeat only for the ref was biased in their favour. Gwan Wexford!

From Hoganstand:

Rebels go on a scoring spree against Wexford
19 May 2008

Cork sent out a warning to Munster championship first round opponents Tipperary when they walloped a hapless Wexford by 5-27 to 1-15 in a senior hurling challenge at Carrigtwohill on Sunday.

The gulf in class between the two teams was all too evident in a game which the Rebels dominated from start to finish. Gerald McCarthys charges led by 3-12 to 1-6 at the interval, with Wexfords cause not being helped by the dismissal of half forward Diarmuid Lyng late in the half.

Sarsfields Kieran Murphy topped-scored for the Rebels with 2-3, while Ben OConnor and Joe Deane scored 0-12 between them. The first quarter was a lively affair, at the end of which Cork led by 2-4 to 1-3. The Rebels goals came from Patrick Horgan and Murphy, while Eoin Quigley netted for the visitors.

But the game developed into a one-sided after that as Corks superior forward play and all-round ability came to the fore.

maybe meylor wanted cork to win…him being a cork man himself(i think)…

Meyler’s a born and bred Wexican but he’s lived and worked in Cork for years and must be immersed in their culture now though. Maybe that’s why he’s such a tosser?

Meyler was born around the Our Lady’s Island area I think and he played Junior and Senior hurling for Wexford before moving to Cork. Got on the Cork senior hurling panel in the 80s and won an All-Ireland medal as a sub.
His son actually played for a Cork team there a few weeks ago against Wexford Youths too.

Cork team was
Donal Og
Shane Murphy
Sully
Jack Herily
Kevin Hartnett
John Gardiner
Sean Og
Jerry
Naughton
Ben
Kevin Canty
Kieran Murphy
Pat Horgan
Kieran Murphy
Joe Deane

Wexford team was
Fitzy
Mal
JOC
P.Roche
M.Jacob
DOC
Kenny
Stamp
Farrell
Gizzy
S.Nolan
MJ Furlong
Quigley
Banville
R.Jacob

Not going to comment a whle lot on match, kind of sick of listening to evryone in here,found it hard to even motivate myself to write this

Eoin Quigley corner forward, Michael Jacob half back and so on and so on.

Are the lads over the team simpletons or what?

No its called trying things out, if all you supporters went and watched club games yad know the story, mick jacob gave an exibithion against ferns last week at wing back in the league

Because hurling well at wing back against Ferns means he’ll do a job on Ben O’Connor?

No offence to the lad but he’s been tried everywhere from 8-15 in the past few years and he hasn’t played that well.

So the next move is to play him wing back.

What next when / if that doesn’t work?

Corner back?

In goal?

if he’s playing well there, natuarally enough, its to play him there. look bandage and everyone else in here, i’m as disappointed as the next wexford man and it;s horrible whats going on in senior hurling. but there is no point in jumping on there backs, the best thing they need is for everyone to get behing them and support them, they dont like it either let me tell you, i was talking to a couple of lads on the team yesterday, and there devastated, they dont know whats going on, training is going real well, the intensity is brilliant, but when it comes to matches they dont know what the problem is, they whole heartedly blame themselves, not the management

Irrespective of the organisational and structural difficulties and decades of mismanagement that have seen Wexford hurling reach crisis point in the past few years, the last two senior hurling management teams have clearly added to the damage significantly by being clueless, incompetent and, in the current manager’s case, autocratic and arrogant. They should be removed before the championship for everyone’s sake and the players I talk to certainly don’t have a positive view of the backroom team.

1.Is Banville the bloke from the football team?
2.Doc seems to be getting a good run at centre back - how is he doing there? He still is a quality hurler - just a matter of finding the right position for him…
3.Is Willie Doran out of favour?

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]1.Is Banville the bloke from the football team?
2.Doc seems to be getting a good run at centre back - how is he doing there? He still is a quality hurler - just a matter of finding the right position for him…
3.Is Willie Doran out of favour?[/quote]

1. No
  2. Shite, Doc is brutal end off, not sure where your getting this quality hurler angle
  3. Seems to be

Good question I was wondering that myself but had forgotten to ask it.

Tis Stephen Banville from the Shels. Was on the Intermediate team that won the All Ireland last year and played a couple of times in the league, this year and last year. A nice hurler but could do with losing a few pounds.

PJ Banville - solely football.
Stephen Banville - hurling, although he might have played a little bit of football during the winter, but is now only on the hurling panel.

Another thing about Meyler, if he was a true Wexford man he wouldn’t have his son playing for Cork, he’d have him playing for Mick Wallace’s Wexford Youths. This isn’t the type of man who’ll spill blood for Wexford - how could he with an attitude like that?

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]1.Is Banville the bloke from the football team?
3.Is Willie Doran out of favour?[/quote]

Nice one farmer. All credit to you at the end of the day.

Willie Doran came on against cork, did well, put himself about a fair bit, too little too late though, just back from an injury. Already stated banville played very well, was impressed, he has also lost a few pounds. DOC would be fine at centre back if he learned to stick up the hand and fuck lads out of his way too, a man of his size he should be doing that but he doesn’t unless he’s tick.

Hows John O Connor been doing at Full Back Gavin?

Sounds like DOC needs a slap of the hurl before he goes out to play and then he might put the effort in.

Gav, putting aside what you hope for a moment, how do you expect Wexford to fare in the Championship?