Wexford GAA 2008

I didnt laugh anything off, and like I said, I’m not pissing on your cornetto here, its Leinster final weekend, go enjoy it. Not even going to go into how the ref handed teh 2005 LSFC to Dublin.

Hope ye win at the weekend, disgusts me to imagine Paul Casey with 4 Leinster medals.

hope ye win as well lads but it will be tough for ye…what with the dubs having a fair amount of support and the ref likely to give the 50/50 calls to the dubs…i reckon ye might come up a bit short on the day and as much as it pains me to say it i am going to predict dublin 2 12 wexford 15 points…

i see clare and wexford are playing a challenge match saturday in templemore…the bouldness is back in markham ye are fucked…

[quote=“Pikeman”]You only took a segment of my quote there MBB.
Laois were full of confidence of course and probably the fitness in 2005 but they didn’t have the players on the line or the unbeaten record as the total package.
You laugh off that it was Div 3 and then disregard how well teams from that group have done. Why disregard that fact?
Plus we’ve beaten Meath (only team capable of putting it up to the Dubs apparently) and your own county.
Not meaning to piss on your mars ice cream or anything ;)[/quote]

i thought it was meant to be the Dubs that the fans jumped on the bandwagon & hyped the team up

There’s a difference. Dubs hype their team to beyond their true capabilities-we are merely stating how good we are.

one thing in your favour i suppose is that last time you ran dublin close a few years back I remember thinkin ford was very poor…I was surprised to see there that he scored 3 points in that game…maybe it was from frees, not sure…but he definitely had a shocker… didn’t look interested…i think it came out after that he was in bed with the flu for the week building up to the game…i doubt he’ll be as poor on sunday…seems to have developed his game up another notch now and is bringing a lot more forwards into play…i think he gave an outstanding performance last year from centre forward against Meath i think… it was in croker when he kicked a load of points…it was amazing how nearly every score he got was straight from gaining possession…no hop or solo needed…a skill that cannot be overstated in this era where most intercounty footballers need a hop and a solo to steady themselves, then take a tackle before trying to get on to their good foot…

:wink:

I know where the pikeman is coming from, good on ya, fuck it shur, there’s enough fuckers out there to write ye off, nothing wrong with being positive.

Do ye honestly think ye will win on sunday ?

im not sure if your comments are bravado or not.

Lets give honest predictions.

Dublin by 5-7 points for me

F**k the begrudgers out there Pikeman, live with a few lads from Longford (TP McNally and Fabregas4 on here) who have great difficulty in giving credit to Wexford for this campaign “Meath beat themselves”, “Laois were very poor”. We can only beat what’s put in front of us and that’s what we’ve done so far, we’re in the Leinster Final because we were the best team on our side of the draw. End of.

All I know is I’ve got a belter of a weekend coming up, playing Druids Glen on Saturday, getting locked on Saturday night and Leinster Final on Sunday. Loch Gorman abu.

from rte.ie

James Tonks is out of Wexford’s All-Ireland quarter-final tie on Sunday week as the injury situation worsens for manager John Meyler.

Tonks made his debut against Kilkenny in the Leinster final defeat received a dislocated shoulder in training on Thursday evening.

Meyler said: ‘James and another player collided in a race for the ball. Unfortunately he received a bad shoulder injury. The x-Ray later diagnosed a dislocated shoulder which rules him out of the game for six weeks.’

Meanwhile Meyler has also ruled Keith Rossiter, Stephen Nolan and Ciaran Kenny out of the quarter-final tie. 'Keith has done little hurling this year. He played the two Dublin games on
the back of injections, missed the Leinster Final with a groin problem.

'He was with Dr. Pat O’Neill on Thursday evening. We are still awaiting results of the x-rays but one way or the other he will not feature for he has done little hurling this year.

'Stephen Nolan is in a similiar position. He has had the plaster removed from the thumb but his hurling has been limited. Having missed the three games so far he will not be up to fitness to start.

‘Ciaran Kenny has had the plaster just removed from a broken thumb. The Doctors are insisting on three to four weeks physio before returning which also rules him out.’

Meyler says that he has had an unusually high run of injuries.

‘We have had a huge amount of injuries but we must move on. We are still looking forward to the All-Ireland quarter-final no matter who we play.’

You’re right about Forde being ill in 2005 scumpot. He did kick one ridiculously good point from the sideline into the Hill end with Griffin closely marking him but he wasn’t in the game much. We don’t rely on him to the same extent now as we did then but he’s obviously a super player and has stepped up to the mark in the second half of both the Meath and Laois games. The exhibition in Croke Park against Meath was in 2006 when he kicked 12 points from all distances and angles with both feet. I reckon we can win on Sunday but I’m not underestimating the difficulty of the task.

I also think we can win, and not for any loyalty reason or anything but I do believe we have a really solid team that is still very much under rated. Forde keeps getting talked about this year, yet he isnt at the moment our most influential forward. Red Barry is the one pulling the strings at the moment, and while Forde is great for a few wonder scores and crowd pleasers, he can also waste a truckload like against Laois when he alone hit 7 poor wides. When he is in form, we are a brilliant side, and when he is not, we are still more than able to cope with most teams, unlike a couple of years back when without him being on form, we wouldnt be able for much.

Also, Brain Malone is severely under rated by those outside the county. Our footballer of the year last year, and by far our best player in league and championship this year. Doesnt get any credit for his surging runs and he creats some amount of points coming up from corner back. The lad has an engine that goes all game, never stops running.

WRT that tonks injury, Tadgh Kennelly dislocated his shoulder in the Swans game at the weekend too. Doctor popped it back in, could even see it on TV ‘popping’ back into place, and he went back on after a while after taking an injection. Later on he dislocated it again, and went to the sideline, had it shoved back into place and just ran back onto the field.

And what kind of physio could you be doing for 4 weeks to get your thumb back in working order? go on weights or something for thumbs? Dont see why nolan and Kenny wouldnt be doing the physical training if it was thumb injuries they had.

Forde is due a sublime game this year, he’s played well, but by his standards he’s got far more. To be fair to Wexford, they’ve added to their armoury this year.

The scene is set. The teams are named. The sold out signs are all but erected outside GAA HQ. 82,000 people lucky enough to have tickets are about to witness history in the making. 52 long years have passed since our wonderful county last graced this stage, finally our time has come. This panel of players have earned the right to be there and have earned the right to be respected. Bring it on, I cant fooking wait.

Gman, agree totally about the injury situation with the hurlers and I posted on here about Rossiter too. I’m a bit of a name-dropping dick but one of the players was telling me he was raging Rossiter missed a Leinster Final due to a sore groin, a problem he’s had since December. Where was the fooking urgency to get to the root of it back then and get the problem resolved before the championship? It was allowed to drift along and he was taking the odd injection and playing a league here and missing one there but I’m sure better and more professional set-ups would have ensured a key player was sorted properly and in a timely manner. Young Tonks tried very hard against Kilkenny but you could point out that 2 or 3 of the goals came from his corner and we clearly missed Rossi.

Also, I’m sure Stevie G won’t mind me saying that he knows Stephen Nolan pretty well and was told directly by Nolan that his injury has been exacerbated by our physio team. It was initially diagnosed as heavy bruising on the thumb and hand but the thumb was subsequently broken during an actual physio session - correct me if I’m wrong Stevie!

Then you’ve other lads like Kenny missing 12 weeks with broken thumbs and stuff - fook sake, do some of them want to play or would they prefer to stroll around the pubs in Wexford with their team polo shirts on? I saw one injured player in Quinn’s after the Kilkenny game sipping away on points seemingly without a care in the world and messing and laughing with his friends. The thought struck me that he might actually have been glad to have missed the game.

Anyway, the hurling’s for next week - it’s all about the footballers now!

Stevie G, nice scene set there - you should think about a return to journalism!

Oh holy jayzuz that’s cat.

Yeah-I saw that lad too. Always seems to be injured.

Ye Bandage what Stephen actually said to me about a week before the leinster final was that his thumb wasn’t actually broken initially but it was ligament damage or something, but a number of weeks later his thumb was put in cast and he was told it was broken. As for what exactly caused the change in diagnosis i am unsure. Like no matter what the facts of the matter, he sustained the injury a good week or two before our first encounter with Dublin. This would mean that by the time of next weeks quarter final it will have been in or around 8/9 weeks since the injury was sustained, and yet he has apparently already been ruled out. Strange state of affairs. In stark contrast it appears no stone has been left unturned by the dubs in an attempt to get Bernard Brogan fit for this Sunday, so much so that he has recovered and is apparently fit to play a part.

Anyway as u said yourself, the hurling is for next week. This week is all about the footballers and their quest for a long overdue leinster title.

Okay, so I may have made up the part about a physio breaking his thumb!

As you say though Stevie, it still doesn’t explain why the diagnosis changed over the course of a couple of weeks and the period of time he’s going to miss is well above what you’d expect for the type of injury sustained.

Same sort of crap with Rossi fannying around for 6 months without a decision being made as to the best course of action to take. In the end they decided on inaction and the scans he should have been having last December took place this week.

Interesting fact, one of ex-Wexford footballer John Hegarty’s nicknames is Joey Rainbow as he’s the spit of the former Home and Away character of the same name.

Gwan Wexford!

All the best Wexicans, I have parked my car in a secure car park for the weekend and will set the house alarm before I go to bed sunday night in anticiaption of ye winning and a horde of angry Huns burning Dubalin town sunday night