Wexford GAA 2008

Disappointed. Should have won it really. Hit some bad wides and the referee was shocking bad. Kelly’s goal was never a free.
Thought Farrell did reasonably well on big Dan, holding him scoreless. Stamp came on and Dan got 1-1 off him. Doyle got some lovely scores but went missing at times. Rossi came on and touched the ball once I think and Stephen Nolan got a nice point but was obviously unfit. If only Fitzy had buried that goal!
Quigley did well, never gave up. As did Gizzy. DOC probably had his best game in a while even if he did give away 2 soft points when he was half hooked and fumbled a handpass. Travers was left on Mullane for too long probably and looked injured throughout.
If we had all our injured players fit and if Richie Kehoe had stayed on these shores-who knows. We should have won it anyway today with the amount of play we had but we don’t have the lads to score enough points from play unfortunately.

They’d a few wides but we had some shocking wides all through. PJ Nolan had 3 wides before he was taken off in the first half. Gizzy, Banville and Doran had bad ones in the first half. Rory Jacob had an excellent first half but he had an absolute shocking miss at 3-10 to 2-13 from straight in front of the posts on the '21 and Waterford got the next 3 points after that. For all our clever movement, crossfield passes, switches and the like, we still combined that with sloppy shooting. We need to be more composed and clinical.

One other thing that pissed me off was the 2 cheap second half points we conceded from lineballs. We let men run unchallenged towards the guy taking it to receive a short pass under no pressure and points resulted both times. No way should be conceding points that easily from a dead ball and games are decided on such small margins.

Injuries and lack of sharpness obviously played a part too as Stephen Nolan came on and was hauled off again and Barry Lambert only got on the ball once or twice when he got on. Darren Stamp was hurling well this year too before his injury the other night and Rossi was a big miss also.

There’s definitely the makings of a decent side there but I’m baffled as to why we can’t play with that intensity all the time.

Very true on the lineballs-I even remember their goalie collecting a pass from a lineball in the second half.

One reason-our club championship is a disaster.

Minor Game-
Went down early for this game. Big improvement from our lads since the Kilkenny game and it was actually another game we should have won.
The referee was disgraceful I thought. Gave some terrible frees against us that Galway punished us with.

We were the better team in the first half and our backs were playing wel with Shore probably having one of his better games at centre back and Joe Kelly doing much better at midfield.

Galway had 2 lads rightly sent off with 5 or 10 minutes to go but we just didn’t organise ourselves correctly. We didnt win a single ball in midfield or the forwards after their 2 reds. Only won a ball when Billy Nolan missed the chance to level. We had 2 spare men in the back line which was baffling when the obvious thing to do was put one spare man up forward to win puckouts or clearances.

A one point loss is heartbreaking for the lads but we have some great hurlers for the future in that squad. Eoin Moore, Leacy, McGovern, Shore, Kelly, Morris all played well. Clince played well too and I think hes still minor for the next 2 years.

Back to the drawing board to procure minor success. A lot done, a lot more to do.

Minor game frustrated the balls off me.

We did most of the hurling and long range frees from their midfielder kept them in the game.

Their 'keeper made a cracking save in the second half too.

We were 0-15 to 0-14 ahead when they had their 2 men sent off and we kept 2 spare men in our own full back line from then to the end in a negative 3 vs 1 match up back there.

Liam Dunne was on one side of the pitch and Tom Dempsey was on the other and they didn’t appear to speak to each other or give instructions to the young lads.

The Galway half back line and midfield then got on top in the last 5 minutes and one of their midfielders equalised after coming through to receive a pass on the overlap before their centre forward knocked over the winner from 50 yards.

All the time we’d 2 spare men standing on our '21 when 1 of them should have been hurling up around midfield.

I found it incredible.

The last GY point was wide.I was right behind it and all the Cork lads were convinced it was wide as well.

Here’s the man Mull Anne driving young Redmond into the gate coming out of the tunnel. Think Redmond had a swollen hand after bashing it on the gate.

Anyone see Mullane getting absolutely bursted across the head with the hurl by Prendergast in their warm up? Went down like a sack of spuds.

[quote=“Pikeman”]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj47/doylegate/mullanne.jpg

Here’s the man Mull Anne driving young Redmond into the gate coming out of the tunnel. Think Redmond had a swollen hand after bashing it on the gate.
.[/quote]

WTF…the size of the boss on Mullane’s hurley in that picture…it’s like a tennis racket…

Feckin hell…just noticed that. Maybe Davy Fitz gave him a few of his spares

[quote=“Pikeman”]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj47/doylegate/mullanne.jpg

Anyone see Mullane getting absolutely bursted across the head with the hurl by Prendergast in their warm up? Went down like a sack of spuds.[/quote]

that hurl is bigger than his head!

Anyway did anyone see Kelly (?) giving him a clatter to calm him down?

Think that was Eoin McGrath gave him a clatter alright. Think it was just after Mullane scored a point. Is that what you refer to?

[quote=“Mairegangaire”]that hurl is bigger than his head!

Anyway did anyone see Kelly (?) giving him a clatter to calm him down?[/quote]

Mullane is stone mad, but by jaysus did he get Waterford going in the second half. Eoin Kelly’s hurl boss was huge as well, must be a blaa thing.

It was Mcgrath alright, gave Mullane a shoulder in the back. Funny to watch

Heartbreaking defeat yesterday. If we were beaten by ten points you might just say, fair enough, were not good enough, but to be beating by one and realise your evey bit as good and if not better than them it really does suck the life out of you and you can’t help but think of all the silly little things that cost us, like Roche’s clearance in first ten minutes, DOC’s poor delivery of ball coming back and straight ovet the bar 3 or 4 times (thought he had his best game in a wexford shirt for a long time despite this), Rory’s bad wide that could have brought it level, the penalty by Fitz, and the ref’s poor decision of 1 minute of injury time, all stupid little things beat us. Was listening to South East Radio, both Meyler and Fitzy spoke brilliantly and made it heard what needs to be done for Wexford hurling to succeed.
Was over on Wexford website, please Mac or Pikeman put that boringjoe fella in his place, he sums up the “doom and gloom” of Wexford hurling for me.

yeah. Thanks.

total headbanger; but still they got him sorted and now he’s playing great stuff.

Can’t wait to see the Tip game. I hope Tip don’t spare an inch on 'em. The game was yeres yesterday. Fuck it anyway.

i’ve noticed that has happened a lot this summer…the ref’s have been erring on the side of caution with regards to injury time…also if a lad gets injured in injury time the ref rarely adds on this stoppage…there’s no allowance for stoppages for substitutions either…throw on a sub in injury time and you’ll waste 20-30 seconds…

Not half like how they lifted when Kelly give them terrace the arms in teh air with 10 to go, must be some fucking feeling to do that and get the reaction. He’s playing some lovely hurling. Waterford need to close the back door though.

What do people think about Meylers position now? As far as I know he was appointed on a two year term and that term is now up. Whilst he was obviously an improvement on the Maggot I don’t think he’s brought us forward an awful lot, can’t see what he’d do with another term either.

What about possible replacements? I’m sure the current minor management team have an eye on the top job but can’t see them getting the nod just yet. Justin McCarthy anyone? I’ve heard he’s interested and would come next week if offered the job.

I heard that Davy Fitzgerald had the Waterford substitutes lining the tunnel before the game yesterday and some of them were jabbing the Wexford players with their hurleys as they were running down the tunnel on the way to the pitch. As much as I’d like Waterford to win an All-Ireland for the game generally, that sort of shit and the thought of someone like Eoin Kelly with an All-Ireland medal kind of makes me feel sick.

And what was the story with Davy Fitz dropping to his knees in front of the cameras yesterday? And then running onto the pitch to get a shot with Shanahan? I say the little gimp raced down to the shop this morning to see had he made the front page only to be sickened by the sight of Shanahan and his daughter on it.

I think we need a new manager but the performance of the minor management didn’t inspire me this season. Way, way, way back on this thread I was lamenting their inaction in a group game in Wexford Park against Kilkenny but yesterday bate all. Bate all. I’d take Justin McCarthy in a second. We don’t need a ranting and raving loonball - we just need someone like him who’d command complete respect and would fashion and implement a game plan and style of play that the players could identify with.