Wexford GAA 2008

Meant to post this before-
Wexford won the highly prestigious All Ireland Under 16 Arrabawn tournament in Tipperary over the weekend.

The qualifiers were in Portroe, Tipperary, where they beat Laois 3-13 to 0-5 and Galway 0-9 to 0-8. The Semi final was in Nenagh where they came from 4 points behind to beat a fancied Offaly in the dying minutes of the game to win by a single point. The stage was set for a Kilkenny Wexford final in Semple Stadium on Sunday morning. Wexford were never really in danger and won out by 8 points at the end.
Final score Wx 1-19 KK 2-08

That’s a great achievement, beating kilkenny in a final will do those boys the world of good. Just need to keep them away from beer, drugs, women, soccer, the stores, the media and all other negative influences for a few years now until they break through into senior grade.

That Kilkenny team will probably be tarred and feathered and their county board will also call a series of crisis meetings and come up with a new Hurling Development Plan to ensure they never suffer the absolute ignominy of losing a final again. Martin Storey was over our team and I heard all the players had moustaches to psyche out the opposition, like the Tyrone players and their beards.

Tinnion just texted me there:

Mattie Forde may not have scored on Sunday but he scored on Sunday night with…

Glenda Gilson!!!

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Tinnion just texted me there:

Mattie Forde may not have scored on Sunday but he scored on Sunday night with…

Glenda Gilson!!![/quote]

I’m not surprised.

Rugger-bugger-hugging is SOOOO last year in Saithsaide Dublin these days…

Isn’t Glenda a norrie tho’

Not that it matters I suppose

Was flying with Aer Lingus yesterday and reading Cara. They were advertising events around Europe in September and one of them was the All Ireland finals. Beside the ad was an action photo of a football match of none other than Collie Byrne!

I always used to say that just because some other team is ridiculously good you shouldn’t use it as a ready-made excuse as to why you can’t compete with them. Ideally, we should be inspired by Kilkenny and go off and redouble our efforts to get close to them but the reality is we won’t get near them as long as Cody’s in charge. So, and I’m not taking the piss here, instead of the debate being about whether Red Barry, Brian Malone and Ciarn Lyng should commit to the hurlers next year, would we be better off getting Eoin Quigley, PJ Nolan and Doc to come and join the footballers? Let us battle it out with Dublin, Laois and the Biffs then to see who can be Leinster #2 in hurling.

Heard yesterday that Big Banville starred for the Shels footballers last week and is contemplating throwing his weight behind the footballers next year. Think he started our first O’Byrne cup game this year but was pretty rubbish.

Forgot about him. He could be the Geoffrey McGonagle of our set-up. He scored a goal against the Sars in the championship a few weeks ago too. In fairness, he was going for a point but he floated it into the top corner from 40 yards out. Sign him up!

TFK would like to officially announce the engagement of retired Wexford senior footballer David Fogarty to Emma Murphy, sister of both Wexford senior football centre back, David, and Wexford U-21 football centre back, Conor. I’m sure you’ll all join with me in extending heartiest congratulations to them both. I believe it was a very romantic proposal and it should provide a significant boost to Wexford GAA ahead of the 2009 season and beyond.

Was Conor Murphy centre back for the u21s?

Holy fuck.

[quote=“Rubber Johnny”]Was Conor Murphy centre back for the u21s?

Holy fuck.[/quote]

Yep, on the team that were beaten 0-10 to 0-6 by Kildare in the Leinster Final in Wexford Park on the same day our senior footballers came from 7 points down to draw away to Fermanagh in the league in Lisnaskea. The more eagle-eyed among us (i.e. me) would have noticed in the Leinster Minor hurling round robin section game that preceded the U-21 football final that Wexford outplayed Kilkenny for most of the game but they brought on an impact sub late on who scored a critical goal and a couple of points. His name was Danny Purcell and he repeated the dose in the All-Ireland final on Sunday by coming on and scoring 1-1 in the last 5 minutes (Kilkenny’s only scores in the second half) to land them the title.

he did the same for De LaSalle this year too. Some year for the chap winning games with late goals.

Fair play to fogie too!

According to the programme that day Conors favourites position is full back - maybe he might be playing behind his brother in a few years. Serious footballer and deffo one of the future. Think he captained the U21’s as well?

Senior hurling championship at home this weekend. Final round of group games. The great Faythe Harriers can clinch a spot in the last eight if the Rapparees are disposed of. I’m not exactly sure if Richie Kehoe’s able to play as I think there’s a 30-day rule or something meaning he has to wait for 30 days since his last game in America before he can resume playing with his home club. If the Harriers lose and Glynn-Barntown beat the already qualified Rathnure in the other game then second place will come down to score difference. But that won’t be needed. It would be nice to draw those faux townie bastards from St Martin’s in the quarter finals.

I’m not sure on this, but isnt the rule based on a length of time since you LEAVE the country, not since you come back? Maybe someone can clear it up.

Yeah, possibly. Nobody had a clue if he could play or not but I assume they’ve found out since.

Bandage, Emma will be pleased her above announcement was a TFK exclusive… just forwarding the link to her now !

Appendage, you clown.

Actual Wexford Senior Hurling Championship quarter final draw:
St Martin’s vs Ferns
Rathnure vs Shelmaliers
Buffers Alley vs St Anne’s
Oulart The Ballagh vs Fayhe Harriers

As opposed to that idiot emailing me earlier to tell me the Harriers had drawn Rathnure.

Predictions:

• Faux Townie Scum
  • Rathnure
  • Buffers Alley
  • Faythe Harriers