Wexford GAA 2008

[quote=“Bandage”]Appendage, you clown.

Actual Wexford Senior Hurling Championship quarter final draw:
St Martin’s vs Ferns
Rathnure vs Shelmaliers
Buffers Alley vs St Anne’s
Oulart The Ballagh vs Fayhe Harriers

As opposed to that idiot emailing me earlier to tell me the Harriers had drawn Rathnure.

Predictions:

• Faux Townie Scum
  • Rathnure
  • Buffers Alley
  • Faythe Harriers[/quote]

I take it you’re tipping harriers out of hope moreso than anything else ?

i see that wexford also look like they are going to oppose galways and antrims participation in leinster…

[quote=“Bandage”]Appendage, you clown.

Actual Wexford Senior Hurling Championship quarter final draw:
St Martin’s vs Ferns
Rathnure vs Shelmaliers
Buffers Alley vs St Anne’s
Oulart The Ballagh vs Fayhe Harriers

As opposed to that idiot emailing me earlier to tell me the Harriers had drawn Rathnure.

Predictions:

• Faux Townie Scum
  • Rathnure
  • Buffers Alley
  • Faythe Harriers[/quote]

Ferns
Mountain Boys
Annes
Jacobs

[quote=“Mac”]Ferns
Mountain Boys
Annes
Jacobs[/quote]

Martins
Sheep shaggers
Annes
Oulart

From RTE.ie:

Wexford against Galway in Leinster Championship

Wexford are against the inclusion of Galway in the Leinster Hurling Championship
Tuesday, 23 September 2008 17:44
Opposition to Galway’s participation in the Leinster Senior Hurling Championship is gathering momentum.

Coming on the heels of Dublin’s opposition, the Wexford GAA Board at their monthly meeting on Monday night overwhelmingly opposed the Westerners’ inclusion.

Former Central Council delegate, Tony Dempsey, questioned the suggestion that should Galway refuse to participate in the Leinster Championship they would be omitted from the Liam McCarthy Cup. ‘I’m amazed with that. What’s that going to do for hurling?’ he asked.

Wexford Leinster Council delegate Pat Doyle launched a stinging attack on chief executive, Padraic Duffy, in relation to the form of motion being presented to the Special Congress.

'I’m not pushing the boat out for Leinster Council. I express my bitter disappointment with [Duffy].

‘On the night of the Leinster Council meeting it was agreed that should Galway’s participation be passed at Congress, that after three years should it not be working, the Leinster Council would pull the plug themselves. That’s not included in the motion. I’m unhappy with that.’

County Chairman, Ger Doyle, felt that Galway were sitting back and not making their intentions known.

‘They are just sitting back, awaiting developments in Leinster. I feel that if the opposition continues to grow Galway will just come out and say they don’t want to play in Leinster. Then the status quo will remain for 2009,’ said the Chairman.

Wexford overwhelmingly opposed the motion to come before Special Congress.

Story from RT Sport:
http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2008/0923/galway.html?gaa

When I first read the headline “Wexford against Galway…” I nearly shat myself, as I thought that the draw for Leinster had already been made without my knowledge!

I’m very much of the opinion that a championship structure based largely on geographic location is outdated. I don’t specifically have an issue with the prospect of Galway and Antrim entering the Leinster Championship but I’d still prefer to see two groups of 6 with the top team in each qualifying directly for the semi-finals and 2nd place in Group A playing 3rd in Group B (and vice versa) in two quarter finals to determine who joins them in the semis. From reading about Wexford County Board’s decision, it’s hard to tell whether they simply reject the idea of opening up Leinster to others or if it’s more a case of being annoyed that their powers and those of the Leinster Council are in danger of being diluted by those bad boys in Congress and Central Council led by Paraic Duffy.

this is a bit long winded but it could work

i agree with you in theory bandage but i don’t think that two groups of six would work…i was only discussing this the weekend and i came up with a plan for the hurling year…

the league should be split into 4 divisions like the football doing away with this 1A and 1B craic…7 teams in division 1 and 2 and the reamainder split between the other 2 divisions…the divisions would look like
Division 1:
kilkenny
tipp
cork
galway
waterford
dublin
limerick

Division 2:
clare
wexford
offaly
antrim
laois
down
westmeath

top two go into league final with the bottom 2 being relegated each year…guarentees every team 6 games plus a free week also…play the league during february and march and the finals the start of april…let the players go back to their clubs the last two weeks in april and first week in may so the clubs can all start their championships…

play the provincial championships (with galway and antrim in leinster) from the third week in may and have them finished with towards the end of june and then send the players back to the clubs for a round of club games…second week of july start a new championship straight knock out with 12 teams with the 4 teams that made the 2 provincial finals getting a bye to the quarter finals…

championship would be something like this for example:

munster played as normal:5 teams
leinster woud contain:kilkenny offaly wexford dublin laois antrim and galway(with the previous provincial winner getting a bye to the semifinal)

this is where it might seem conplicated:

it would stay something similar to the current format that the loser of he first round in munster and the 3 team that lose in the first ound in leinster would go into an open draw with the winners seeded in the open draw…same for the semi final loser from each province would playoff to see who is seeded…this would make sure that each team gets a minimum of three championship games…replays would be done away with:

so for example if limerick, antrim, dublin and laois were all knocked out in the first round they would play off for seeding and for arguement sake we will say that dublin and limerick won the play offs…
clare, waterford, offaly and wexford were the semi final losers they would play off and for arguements sake we will say that clare and wexford won the playoff…these play off would be played when the provencial are being played so that teams would get game time…

so it would go to an open draw in july with for arguements sake:
clare v laois
wexford v offaly
limerick v waterford
dublin v antrim

quarter finals
clare v galway
wexford v cork
waterford v kilkenny
dublin v tipp and i don’t think i have to go through the semi’s and final

granted it might seem long winded but i think it could work very well as it allows clubs to have their players and it guarentees every team three championship games and it also would make it a bit more competitive…

Puke just reading that and digesting it but will no doubt have questions later.

First off though regarding the league - I presume you don’t envisage two teams being relegated from Division 2?

possibly…again the strength of the teams in division 3 would have to be taken into account…possibly the bottom team relegated and second last playing off againt second in division 3…

What does everyone think of the four all star nominees…

Masterson
Red
Lyng
Forde

Would’ve thought malone deserved a nomination…

Malone would have got an all star, let alone a nomination, if they were given out at the Leinster semi final stage. he was by far our best player in the league and the first 2 championship games. but he was poor against Dublin, Brogan destroyed him, and he was in a role then that didnt let him play like he did earlier in the year so wasnt that effective and wasnt amongst our top performers.

[quote=“Gavin”]What does everyone think of the four all star nominees…

Masterson
Red
Lyng
Forde

Would’ve thought malone deserved a nomination…[/quote]

Long time no hear Gavinho. Congrats on a certain medal you recently secured by the way. I suppose you can always make arguments for a couple of othe individials who might have been hard done by but, overall, you can’t really complain about a beaten semi-finalist getting 4 nominations. The winners are always going to dominate and then the rest are spread around. Anyway, individual awards are secondary and they’re primarily something to argue about once the inter-county season ends.

Don’t think you could argue for any more than those 4 nominations. Wexford’s success this year was down to the collective efforts of the panel + manager so there weren’t too many stand out performers over the course of the year. Almost every player stood up to the plate at some point. Masterson would be shoe in for an award if it weren’t for the 3 goals against Dublin but still has a decent shout. Given the amount of quality forwards in the country we’ll obviously be lucky to just get one from the other three, if even that. The worry would be that votes will be spread evenly among each of them - Red’s all round performances, Lyng’s scoring contribution, Forde’s reputation & Armagh last 10 mins performance - resulting in no award. I would go for Red then Lyng then Forde if i had a vote.

What medal are you talking about bandage?!?

Yeah when i think about it, four is a just reward for all ireland semi finalists. I was on other websites where they were giving out about only having one so made me realise that we actually done well for ourselves! I’m hoping at least two, i don’t think there’s any doubt in Masterson getting one, like Reilly and Connaughton in my view should not have even been nominated.

Ah, don’t be modest Gav. The result was very much in doubt at half time. But then a particular substitution was made at the start of the second half and I knew then it’d be all white on the night.

You’ve lost me now, think you have me mixed up with someone else;)

We should remember Wednesday 1st October as being the day that John Meyler finally spoke with a newspaper and didnt say anything stupid. Maybe they did send him on the PR course after all

Meyler focussed on All-Irelands – not All Stars

Wednesday October 01 2008

JOHN MEYLER is focussed on bringing Wexford hurling to another level and has dismissed as unimportant the fact that his players did not receive a single All Star nomination.

They received no nominations despite reaching the All-Ireland quarter-finals where they lost by just a single point to Waterford.

When asked if he was disappointed, Meyler was adamant: "I don’t have much interest in All Star nominations as I don’t have much time for individual awards.

"It’s a subjective opinion. A lot of those reporters on the selection panel don’t even go to hurling matches. I won’t worry about it until we win an All-Ireland.

“If we win an All-Ireland the All Stars will look after themselves, for the majority of players are chosen on just a single game.”

Meyler added: "I’m only interested in trying to bring Wexford hurling to another level, build on the Waterford game, not let it bypass us, so we can compete with Kilkenny.

“Any player would prefer a provincial or All-Ireland medal to an All Star. That’s what he will be remembered by.”

Meyler has opted to stay at the Wexford helm for a third term, though this has still to be ratified by the County Board.

That Meyler article has all the hallmarks of the great Brendan Furlong in the Wexford People. He never refuses the opportunity to unnecessarily use the word ‘for’ as a bridge in the middle of sentences.

Going home this weekend for the hurling quarter finals and it would be a pleasant surprise to see some potential new county players impress. I’m not holding out much hope though as the championship has been depressing in recent years in that established current or retired former inter-county players are the ones standing out, with little else coming through.

Anyone any interest in the football champ?

Quater finals on the weekend after next, Horeswood Vs. Kilanerin seems to be the stand out game, few other interesting ones too…

Gusserane v Starlights
St Annes v Clongeen
Adamstown v Shelmaliers

[quote=“Newportwex”]Anyone any interest in the football champ?

Quater finals on the weekend after next, Horeswood Vs. Kilanerin seems to be the stand out game, few other interesting ones too…

Gusserane v Starlights
St Annes v Clongeen
Adamstown v Shelmaliers[/quote]

Horeswood and Kilanerin is deffo the pick of the games anyway. In fairness all 4 games could go either way. Am home that weekend so will try get along to at least one of them.