Wexford GAA 2008

I heard Forde made his comeback from injury last week and scored something ridiculous. That Horeswood/Kilanerin game should be good and in fairness Horeswood have come back and done well after the embarrassing hiding they took from Kilanerin in the final 4 or 5 years ago. I don’t think either Gusserane or the Starlights have been overly impressive in the group stages so that’s difficult to call but I’d expect Clongeen to defeat St Anne’s by a few points as the latter have hurling commitments too and haven’t really fired at all this season in football. The Shels are my dark horses as relatively recent Intermediate champions (when exactly did they win it again?) and they’ve got a lot of good young players and a couple of the county lads in Walsh and Malone.

Yeah Forde got 1-12 i think against Fethard. Horeswood are a different propositon though. Gusserane should have beaten Annes by more so i’d fancy Clongeen to be comfortable enough alright…other three games are too close to call.

Any players outside the county panel playing well in the championship? I hear shane cullen is going well with Gusserane but might not hang round for next year.

Adrian Flynn’s big brother Mattie was Gusseranes best player last weekend, very impressive wing back.

So that dick Appendage rang me on my way down from Dublin bitching about Larry Murphy’s performance on Newstalk earlier and I casually queried whether he was attending the first of the hurling quarter final double headers in Wexford Park tomorrow. ‘What double header?’, was his reply. Yes, the absolute utter retards in Wexford County Board are playing the first two quarter finals tomorrow afternoon in different venues and the latter two on on Sunday, again in different venues. They just don’t get it.

I’m also pretty incredulous after reading John Meyler’s quotes in the local papers expressing his disapproval at Galway joining the Leinster Championship. ‘What would Galway do for Wexford? What are the advantages of bringing them into Leinster? I’m not interested in improving the competitive element. I just want Wexford to be winning these championships.’

Does this gimp not realise that the only way Wexford will start winning these championships again is if they actually become competitive to begin with and that playing the likes of Galway in regular championship games will aid this process of raising our standards?

The reports of the County Board meeting that voted against the proposal are comedy gold too. There’s some bunch of incompetents at the top table and they’ve made an absolute balls of everything they’ve thrown their hands to over the past few years, with the sole exception being the appointment of Jason Ryan. Ironically enough, that was more luck than judgment after everyone else they approached told them to get fooked.

Ahoy Bandy.

I was looking for an inappropriate “for” in the article above and I couldn’t find one. Fool.

As discussed, Mr Murphy’s performance on the Newstalk show was embarrassing. Factually appalling (6 or 7 counties in Munster - 7 since when?) and with absolutely no substance or reason to his argument. Just that he was dead against and that was that. It was embarrassing to be a Wexican listening to it.

I read the reports from that co board meeting, and having read them it doesn’t take much to realise how Wexford has ended up on the scrap heap. Clowns one and all.

And them the Co Chairman comes out and says the Co Championship fixture shambles won’t be solved until 2010.

I’d imagine anyone with a bit of cop on in Wexford would welcome Galway and Antrim and whoever the fook into the Leinster. It makes fook all difference, and would create a far more balanced and fairer championship.

‘It wouldn’t do any good for Wexford hurling.’ These cocks are so insular and closed-minded and their first reaction is to pinpoint negatives rather than acknowledge any positives. It was also pretty laughable to read the Chairman say that Galway coming in would add to club fixtures scheduling difficulties. The silly dick had the utter gall to say that after the shambles this season where some clubs had played 1 championship game by the end of August. I didn’t see Galway causing that.

unfortunately wexford like pretty much every other county board are backwards…full of die hards who probably are there for years in one form or another…

Hurling QF Results

Saturday:
St Martin’s 2-14 Ferns 3-10
Rathnure 1-13 Shelmaliers 1-8

Sunday:
Oulart-The Ballagh 2-14 Faythe Harriers 0-13
St Anne’s beat Buffers Alley by a point - don’t have the final score yet.

Just back from Wexford Park and it was fairly fooking anaemic and septic stuff. Was chatting to the lads and we were reminiscing about these games when we were kids and how they’d command huge crowds but this was played before a sparse and pretty much disinterested crowd.

In fact, the best entertainment came just before the start of the second half when the ref refused to throw the ball in for ages despite the players all being ready to go. We could see the ref turning around and pointing down towards the far corner of the pitch and when we looked down there were two kids having a wrestling match on the 21 yard line.

Again, nobody staked a claim to get on the county panel and it was a really low standard with no cut or zip to the game. Oulart were without Keith Rossiter and Darren Stamp although Des Mythen made his return from injury by playing the second half. Stephen Doyle and Rory Jacob got their goals - one in each half.

The Harriers started with Richie Kehoe playing wing forward but he quickly went back to pick up Doyle. He got caught under a high crossfield ball for the first goal and Doyle snapped it up, ran in on goal and buried it. He hurled decently enough and got a couple of good points when pushed into the forwards in the second half.

Stephen Nolan was playing centre back for the Harriers and kept them in touch with long range frees in the first half but, for some inexplicable reason, he didn’t take them in the second half and fellow county panelist Simba Berry missed 2 frees and former county minor Lee Murphy came on and missed another 2. All were scorable and it was a mystery why Nolan didn’t take them.

Then the game was finished as a contest when two Harriers defenders collided with each other challenging for a high ball and Rory Jacob had the relatively straightforward task of soloing through and rifling it home. 'Twas pretty depressing from a Harriers perspective that their best players were veterans like Colin Keeling at wing back and Darren Caulfield did very well on Michael Jacob when he came on at centre forward in the first half.

But Oulart were going through the motions a bit at the end and you could hear the players rowing with each other on the field over stray passes, sloppy play and stuff. Liam Dunne hurled midfield and had a few nice touches - man’s a legend.

'Twas St Anne’s 1-15 Buffers Alley 0-17 in the other game today. A cracking win for the Anne’s against a team that had held the upper hand against them in recent meetings. Appendage was at this game and he told me Donal Berry knocked over some great points from play and the rest of their forwards all chipped in too, with Red Barry very accurate on the frees and Liam g McGovern getting a couple of nice points. He also said David O’Connor gave a very commanding display at centre back and knocked over a super long range point at one stage. It’s a pretty open last four in my opinion.

I assume Appendage was drunk when making that comment.

Misquoted jugs. He was poor but his brother was solid at wing back. Entertaining game but annes will hardly strike fear into other 3 teams. Bandage is a cunt.

Complete opposite to what I heard. Was talking to one of the lads at the game and he said he was awful. Didnt even look like the first cousin of a county player. Hopefully he can pick his game up before the end of year. Any truth in the rumours he’s thinking of heading off travelling again this winter and wont be back till April or something?

given his pace or lack thereof a trip to the shop could take him that long !

Wexford Senior Hurling Semi Final Draw:
Rathnure vs Oulart-The Ballagh
St Anne’s vs St Martin’s

The two favourites drew each other and then a Wexford district derby in the second game. In a move typical of Wexford County Board, we played our hurling quarter finals before the football last eight games even though we need a football representative for the Leinster Club championship by October 25 and our rep’s first hurling game isn’t scheduled until mid November.

Apparently we’re going to play football quarter finals and semi-finals over the next two weekends while trying to get the Leinster Council to give us an extra week to complete the football championship. That means the hurling semis would take place in 3 weeks time. What 's going to be interesting is when the Ireland Compromise Rules squad is announced tomorrow and a couple of Wexford players are likely to be named. Will the local football championship games be completed with clubs missing key players?

Sen Boylan is announcing his Irish squad for the tests in Australia later this morning and it will see St Anne’s and/or St Martin’s being without a key player for their senior hurling semi final clash. I’m trying to get an exclusive here but it’s proving difficult - if I was to guess I’d say both Ciarn Lyng and Redmond Barry might actually get the nod. Bear with me.

Bradley would be my outside bet. I’d say Masterson and Forde would be the favourites?

Bandage club games are called off when Intermational Rules plyaers are involved. Thats always been the case in the past anyway.

Cunt of a game anyway.

Get all our best men on it Bandage. TFK Exclusives are what makes this site so special.

From talking to the lads at home, the noises coming from the Leinster Council are that provincial club championships are going ahead as scheduled as it was the responsibility of the various county boards to run off their local championships in time and the Leinster Council are therefore accepting no excuses for delays. There’s a potential row brewing because the county board will either force clubs to play without key player(s) to finish them in time for us to have reps in the club championship or they’ll wait for the players to return from Australia on Nov 7 and complete the championships after that. The second scenario would leave us without any reps in the Leinster club championships. AFAIK, Malone, Barry and Lyng have been training with the Irish squad - Forde will also be in the reckoning now he’s back from injury but he hadn’t been training with them.