Wexford GAA 2008

Over the last few years do you think any would get on a kilkenny all-ireland winning team?..I honestly could only say Fitzhenry…

Adamstown and Shels both refused to play the replay midweek (can’t blame them either). So they are playing next Sunday with the winners facing Gusserane the following week.

Clongeen and Kilanerin are playing their semi-final this weekend and you’d have to fancy the winners of this to win it outright. Especially now that they will have an extra weeks break.

Its true that the winners will have to play the Leinster championship the day after the county final. Farcical situation to be in.

I realy wouldn’t fancy Kilanerin after seeing them play at the weekend.

so whos the man for the job now folks? liam dunne would be a nice appointment.

Am sure its a wind up but I’ll humour you and ask if this is the Kilkenny trainer who was linked with Laois footballers job a while back?

I don’t know if he was linked to the Laois football management job that his brother Sen took but he’s the Kilkenny trainer and Cody’s right hand man alright. He apparently wants to get a gig as a front man and test himself when he has overall control of things. Obviously he has an excellent reputation and it would be quite the coup for us to get him.

Maybe its Sean I’m getting mixed up with then. Thought Mick was being lined up for some football job as well though. Where’d you hear this / make it up from Bandage?!

Mac, I heard from sources close to the ground. It’s a morning where I wish I was in Wexford to access the local papers to see what the players have come out with about Meyler’s departure. As an aside, I still find it extremely odd that neither of the locals update their websites for the Wednesday weekly edition on the actual Wednesday itself despite technological advances and us exiles have to instead wait until the following Friday or even early the next week in some instances to read match reports and local news.

Easons on O’Connell street usually have the papers in by the Friday. There’s a place in Maynooth that get them as well on the Friday. You can also have the paper posted to you every week as far as I know Bandage. You must surely have someone at home who could sort this out for you?

Wexford Players Speak Out

I’m looking for a sensationalist angle but there really isn’t one! The players have simply outlined the events from their perspective and you can gather they’re not looking to get into a tit-for-tat with Meyler. For example, he was on radio spouting the ‘anonymous players’ line after the players in question spoke to him so good luck to him, he played the media well.

From The Wexford People:

THE FOUR Wexford hurlers who met with County Board officers on Monday week last have angrily refuted claims that they wished to remain anonymous.

David O’Connor, spokesman for the quartet which also included Rory Jacob, Diarmuid Lyng and Eoin Quigley, stressed on Sunday night that there was never a question of the players wishing to keep their identities a secret. ‘We’re disappointed that perception has been put out there,’ the St. Anne’s man said, before outlining the facts behind their involvement in a series of events which contributed to the sudden dismissal of John Meyler as Wexford Senior hurling manager.

O’Connor said that the four players were invited by the County Board to the meeting which took place in Wexford Park at 6.30 p.m. on Monday of last week with Co. Chairman, Ger Doyle, and Co. Secretary, Margaret Doyle. The purpose of the gathering was to deal with a holiday proposal for the hurlers from the Board, and to have a general discussion on how the year went.

‘We were not trying to act in a covert manner,’ O’Connor said. ‘It was a fairly open meeting from our point of view and the reasons for us being there were straightforward.

‘On our way in we chatted to Redmond Barry, Anthony Masterson and Eric Bradley who had represented the footballers at an earlier meeting with the Chairman and Secretary, and we also spoke later to members of the Fixtures committee who were having a meeting there as well.

‘Therefore, it’s bizarre that it was presented as if we wished to remain anonymous, and it’s disappointing to think that such a perception is out there,’ he added.

O’Connor recalled that the initial meeting to review the year was called by John Meyler himself and was held with the players in Gorey on the Wednesday after the loss to Waterford. Following on from that, a meeting of players only was held in the Ferrycarrig Hotel to deal primarily with the issue of government grants, but a general discussion also took place. The majority of panel members were present, and it emerged that most had lost confidence in the manager.

However, O’Connor stressed that it was not a unanimous view, with some in favour of Meyler getting a third term and others against. Those views, both positive and negative, were expressed to the Co. Chairman and Co. Secretary on Monday week. O’Connor accepted that ‘in hindsight, the whole issue should have been handled better by everybody.’

‘Everybody regrets the hurt caused to John Meyler and his family, and also to all members of the backroom team and their families,’ he added. ‘Yes, the majority of the players had a lack of confidence in the manager. However, players can have an opinion and can voice it, but at the end of the day players don’t ratify managers.’

While O’Connor initially contacted this newspaper on behalf of the four players on Thursday last, he had to prioritise his club commitments first before outlining their position. ‘As far as I was concerned, I wasn’t going to talk to anyone in the media until our football game last Saturday was out of the way. However, we weren’t going to let people away with thinking we didn’t want our names made public.’

‘It’s very easy for some people to come up with sensational stories on this matter. If people had bothered to ask me who was at the meeting, I wouldn’t have had a problem telling them, and the other lads were the same - I’ve been asked numerous times since Tuesday was I at it and the answer has always been yes,’ he added.

O’Connor also pointed out that, whoever gets the manager’s job, the players will have to have a long, hard look at themselves. ‘We’re the ones who do or don’t perform at the end of the day.’

Interestingly, on the subject of the proposed County Board holiday, the players at the meeting felt that it wasn’t a good idea and that the money would be better utilised on a training weekend. However, they have been asked to go back to the full squad and get the majority view.

For the moment though, David O’Connor, Rory Jacob, Diarmuid Lyng and Eoin Quigley are at pains to stress one thing, and one thing only - they were the four players who met the Chairman and Secretary, and they never wanted their names to be hidden; a point which O’Connor also made in a telephone call to John Meyler later last week.

this was something I thought all along. Between Myler and the media, they have mad a storm out of nothing. The players outlined their stance, and it seems they never asked for Myler to be removed al waterford earlier this year. Fair play to Doc for standing up and making his voice heard and refuting the allegations that were being made with no substance by media and Myler. Its interesting how Myler has shut up in the day or 2 after. He was a terrible person for the media, and is really being shown up now. The handling of it all was farcical tho, and Doyle and Myler have a lot to answer for.

Thats a very good interview from DOC tho, and says all the right things.

Don’t know much about the case except for what I’ve heard on Off the Ball but the lad O’Connor makes some good points above alright. Seems like a reasonable position for the players to take and the line about “at the end of the day players don’t ratify managers” is refreshing to hear after the Cork episode - refreshing that is apart from the cliche “end of the day” part which is a touch stale.

[quote=“Gman”]this was something I thought all along. Between Myler and the media, they have mad a storm out of nothing. The players outlined their stance, and it seems they never asked for Myler to be removed al waterford earlier this year. Fair play to Doc for standing up and making his voice heard and refuting the allegations that were being made with no substance by media and Myler. Its interesting how Myler has shut up in the day or 2 after. He was a terrible person for the media, and is really being shown up now. The handling of it all was farcical tho, and Doyle and Myler have a lot to answer for.

Thats a very good interview from DOC tho, and says all the right things.[/quote]

over a week later and they come out

ya the story is very plausible but given the content of the interview i.e nothing controversial, wishing meyler well etc, there’s nothing here that could’nt have been said last week and it would have taken 10 minutes to clear the whole thing up

What i liked about his comments was “Were the ones who do or dont perform at the end of the day” but again it was tainted by the same stale clich

[quote=“artfoley”]over a week later and they come out

ya the story is very plausible but given the content of the interview i.e nothing controversial, wishing meyler well etc, there’s nothing here that could’nt have been said last week and it would have taken 10 minutes to clear the whole thing up[/quote]

have a look at when the paper was contacted by the player himself. is it his fault that it took nearly a further week for it to be published, or his fault they all didnt go crying off to other media sources like others did. They had club games at the weekend, they didnt need to get embroiled in a tit for tat argument that they were being wrongly dragged into

Good interview by DOC there alright. I knew there was more (Or less even) to it than what Myler was saying. Still think Meyler was treated badly.
And DOC is right about having to take a long look at themselves because they’ve been shite for years now, no matter what manager was there.

I’m agreeing with Gman here. The players contacted the local media last week and they said they would deal with the local media on it because it’s an issue to do with the Wexford hurling team.

As I said earlier, Meyler spent last week in the media limelight and was perpetuating the ‘anonymous players’ revolt even after he was contacted by the players and informed of what happened.

I don’t see any way whatsoever how it would have been beneficial for the players to have entered into an ‘after you’ style game with Meyler where they responded to his latest comments on Newstalk before taking a call from Brian Carthy to do likewise on RTE Radio and then going ahead and doing the same thing again with the print media too. It would probably still be going on now had they done so.

As it is, they apologised for the way it was handled but stated that a majority of players had lost confidence in management. They didn’t personalise it or blame Meyler and accepted their responsibilities as players too. I don’t think there’s much to be critical about from that interview.

Football All Stars just announced.
Not a single Wexford All-Star.
Whole thing stinks.
Westmeath got 2

pretty much how I see it alright bandage. doyle is looking like a snake in the grass now, saying the anonymous players ousted the manager, when in fact they werent anonymous, and have stated they have no power to ratify managers. soit was a county board decision, based on players opinions, not a player decision. Pity Doyle wouldnt come out and just say that instead of hiding behind the players and letting them take the blame.

[quote=“Pikeman”]Football All Stars just announced.
Not a single Wexford All-Star.
Whole thing stinks.
Westmeath got 2[/quote]

Do you have the full list?