Wexford GAA 2008

[quote=“artfoley”]the reaon I selected the laois was the consumate ease with which he was turned inside out for the goal, if you can’t do it against laois, you can’t do it against the big boys

the sharp intake of breath from wexicans every time the DOC’s man gets the ball is akin to the one the kilkenny lads have when fast eddie is bearing down on goal and for similar reasons. They both think that a score is coming[/quote]

You make many valid points art, but in this instance said corner back drifted too far goal side of Culleton, and was caught in no man’s land under a crossed ball. Culleton caught the ball and had a simple finish. There was no twisting or turning inside out but it was indeed a killer mistake.

You must have missed Doc’s performances against Kilkenny in 2002, 2004 and 2005 for example then art. I don’t think Derek Lyng got much change out of him this year either and he did his best hurling when he moved back to midfield for Kilkenny’s last two games. That goal against Laois though, eh? Are you for real?

4 good games in 6 years, is that what yo’re saying ?

just as a matter of interest bandage

how many goals did we ship in those years in all gamesin the championship, if memory serves me rightly it was something like 12 in 4 games in 02, but sure we can put them down to darragh and fitzy ?

No, I highlighted a number of games where he’s been very good against top quality opposition, hence he’s rated pretty highly by our near-neighbours. We haven’t got many recent All Star nominations and he’s got 2 so it possibly highlights the fact he’s put some decent campaigns together.

art, did he turn you down in a nightclub once or something?

It might have escaped your attention but we’ve often faced an avalanche of ball coming into our defence in recent years due to our consistent and chronic inability to win primary possesion in the air in our half-forward line.

Our defence were collectively involved in many admirable fire-fighting operations and it’s a bit insulting to suggest that he’s not played a part in any of it when the evidence clearly suggests he has.

Of course there’s games where an opposing forward has won a personal duel with him but that can naturally happen in a man versus man battle that you get all over the field in hurling.

I don’t see how you can logically concentrate a large portion of the blame for Wexford’s recent failing on him.

[quote=“Bandage”]No, I highlighted a number of games where he’s been very good against top quality opposition, hence he’s rated pretty highly by our near-neighbours. We haven’t got many recent All Star nominations and he’s got 2 so it possibly highlights the fact he’s put some decent campaigns together.

art, did he turn you down in a nightclub once or something?

It might have escaped your attention but we’ve often faced an avalanche of ball coming into our defence in recent years due to our consistent and chronic inability to win primary possesion in the air in our half-forward line.

Our defence were collectively involved in many admirable fire-fighting operations and it’s a bit insulting to suggest that he’s not played a part in any of it when the evidence clearly suggests he has.

Of course there’s games where an opposing forward has won a personal duel with him but that can naturally happen in a man versus man battle that you get all over the field in hurling.

I don’t see how you can logically concentrate a large portion of the blame for Wexford’s recent failing on him.[/quote]

the conversation, unless you’d missed it, is about doc and if it’s about the rest of the team then I’ll apportion the blame accordingly

from what I see DOC does not instill confidence, coolness nor calmness, all of which are essential for his position

yes there is a significant amount of ball coming back from the half forward line with interest but that’s only cos the ball played to them in the first place is booming clearances, mick jacob was playing sensible ball out of the back line this year for the most part and he’s a converted forward.

until we start playing to our strengths and stop trying to play other counties at their game we are fucked

Doc is shite, end of

And you seem to be apportioning the blame for 12 goals in 4 games in 2002 down to him, which is frankly laughable.

http://www.vodafone.ie/aboutus/media/press/show/BAU002853.shtml?date=October+31%2c+2002&title=Nominations+for+2002+Vodafone+GAA

only fitzy and skippy nominated that year

[quote=“artfoley”]http://www.vodafone.ie/aboutus/media/press/show/BAU002853.shtml?date=October+31%2c+2002&title=Nominations+for+2002+Vodafone+GAA

only fitzy and skippy nominated that year[/quote]

What’s your point? Nobody on this thread claimed he was nominated for an All Star in 2002.

Lads, remind me in the future never to have Art arguing my case in court :smiley:

I’d say he’d win about as many as Morag.

morag is on H & A ? dunno if that’s a compliment or an insult

anyway, my point being that there was 10 goals scored in 4 games in 02 and DOCwas not nominated for an allstar in spite of (according to bandage) playing well against the all ireland champions

so the reasonable man could easily constru that DOC did not have a good 2002

[quote=“artfoley”]an insult.
[/quote]

[quote=“artfoley”]

so the reasonable man could easily constru that DOC did not have a good 2002[/quote]

But thats only one year art - surely you can’t judge his performances on only one season?

[quote=“artfoley”]morag is on H & A ? dunno if that’s a compliment or an insult
[/quote]

an insult

and you’re not mac?

or must I remind you of “all star in his debut season” ?

has there been any sort of consistency to his play? you can’t hide behind the moved around thing because he was in the backline for long enough

well thanks for thinking of me anyway

[quote=“artfoley”]and you’re not mac?

or must I remind you of “all star in his debut season” ?

has there been any sort of consistency to his play? you can’t hide behind the moved around thing because he was in the backline for long enough[/quote]

He showed a level of consistency this year which he hasn’t shown in a while. Even while in the backs he was shunted between corner back and full back. I’d agree that there’s been many shaky moments but I think he’s now showing he’s well up to the standard and hence why the new manager should build the backline around him and Rossi.

Art, did Doc play well this year? Yes or no

he had a decent year but one swallow does not a summer make and I’ll refer once again to the consistency and speed or lack thereof