Wexford GAA 2008

Yeah I reckoned Birr would run away with it. Pity they didnt win it, but they can take a lot of positives from this year

There’s a Wexford county board meeting tonight and sources to TFK have indicated that Colm Bonnar’s backroom team is likely to be revealed. Martin Storey seems nailed on to be part of the set-up and would be a good addition in line with what I posted last week. He’ll obviously be hugely respected by the players and he’s a very good communicator also. Plus, he smokes so he’s very clearly a really cool person too.

I remember Storey coming into school a couple of years after they won in 96 and after rumours of Larry O and his wife (whether true or not I’ve never actually heard, might have been something the Kilkenny lads in school made up to try get at us).

He was in to give a talk, and it was about health and shite like that. Saying about staying off the cigarettes. He said something along the lines of ‘I’d be out training in the early hours of the morning’ when someone roared out, ‘That must have been when Larry O was riding yer missus’. He tried say something smart back but the laughter was so loud no one heard him.

anyway, decent man Storey, gave some effort to Wexford down through the years. Would like to have seen him keep doing his work with underage for another couple of years and bring them all the way through, but hopefully the likes of Dunne and Dempsey will keep on at it. It was also good to hear Dunne recently blame themselves for poor management after losing to Galway. They made a balls of the extra men and he held his hand up. Its better that way, instead of whining and complaining about everything eles other than what happened on the field.

[quote=“Gman”]after rumours of Larry O and his wife (whether true or not I’ve never actually heard, might have been something the Kilkenny lads in school made up to try get at us).
[/quote]

Did they get to ya Gman?

no, thankfully ye cunts never won a thing when I was in school whereas we had our rosy patch (2 Leinsters, whoo hoo!). rumours and innuendo was about all they had on us then, thank fook I was gone before ye started winning again.

Quality quip by yer man to Storey and those rumours were rife around Wexford at the time. My latest information is that there won’t be a formal announcement tonight but Storey’s a stick-on to be involved alright.

you must have packed in school after the junior cert Gman… cunts have been always winning stuff.

Maybe he should have stayed in school…

smart arse fran, you know well ye had your dark period in those years! lean times, what was it, 6 years without a trophy? How did you get over that famine eh?

Well we were dancing at the crossroads,
with the poitin and the porter…

I remember that storey flying around about Larry O and Storey’s missus. The Harriers and Oulart drew each other in the championship and a big crowd turned out in Belfield with the rumours still in the air. Everyone expecting a few fireworks and a couple of skelps between the two. Nothing happened and the two of them went off the pitch after with their arms around each other.

Plus, he smokes so he’s very clearly a really cool person too.[/QUOTE]

He quit the fags years ago. Read it in the Tribune a few weeks back. My all time favourite hurler. The swagger, the skills and the fuck everyone attitude. Used the love when he would throw off the white helmet. Was hardly a team player at the best of times but a hero nonetheless.

That story was complete bollox. There was all sorts of angles to it. Storey scored a few handy points against Tipp in 97. Tom Dempsey was better placed for a goal for a couple of them. My wexican cousin informed me that the reason Storey didnt pass was cos Dempsey tried to break up a fight between Larry O Gorman and Storey on the team holiday.
Real reason was that Storey rarely if ever passed the ball.

Think I read that article too actually. Did he say he gave up the smokes to get back on the Oulart senior panel or something?

Yep, he was a really great talent and went from being a individualistic player with a ‘I don’t give a fook’ attitude to a committed leader and talisman under Griffin.

It was a great achievement of Griffin’s to develop a team of individuals and cliques who previously played for themselves into a proper unit where everyone was committed to each other.

Storey’s got the achievements as a player, the respect, is still heavily involved with his club and in coaching and is a very good communciator.

Being a qualified psychiatric nurse should also prove useful when dealing with some of the personalities on the Wexford panel. I kid you not.

I’m happy about this and it’s meant to be completely set in stone now that it’s happening.

[quote=“Bandage”]Think I read that article too actually. Did he say he gave up the smokes to get back on the Oulart senior panel or something?

yeah think he smoked 40 a day or something

I’ve just been informed that despite the administrative shambles in Wexford this year, there have been no new nominations for any of the significant posts on the Co Board. This means there will be no elections, no accountability and we will more than likely have next years hurling and football championships played in a blitz on the October Bank Holiday week end in 2009.

Wexford GAA will, like the people who vote Fianna Fail, once again get what it and they deserve.

[quote=“Appendage”]I’ve just been informed that despite the administrative shambles in Wexford this year, there have been no new nominations for any of the significant posts on the Co Board. This means there will be no elections, no accountability and we will more than likely have next years hurling and football championships played in a blitz on the October Bank Holiday week end in 2009.

Wexford GAA will, like the people who vote Fianna Fail, once again get what it and they deserve.[/quote]

Are ye serious? Thats yet another shambles of a story. Has there been any talk of what might happen with the proposal to change the championship structure?

Are there any women in Wexford Larry O hasn’t tried to get up on? He tried a friend of mine a few years ago, lets just say his chat up technique needed work.

My latest information is that ex Wexford defender Niall McDonald is likely to be part of Colm Bonnar’s backroom team. They hurled together back in the day for WIT so that’s the link. McDonald was a great player for us but didn’t win anything and had retired prior to 1996. He’s been refereeing at home for the past few years and is a good guy by all accounts.

I also heard there’s a bit of opposition to Martin Storey getting involved and that’s coming from within the committee who appointed Bonnar. Storey’s the type who would have rubbed people up the wrong way at times as he speaks his mind. Typical GAA if some old, stubborn cunt takes a stand to prevent his appointment but hopefully it’ll be pushed through.

I also heard that David O’Connor, an inter-county player, didn’t get a nomination for a Purple and Gold Star. However, his brother Richie, a non inter-county player, was nominated for an award.

Pardon by ignorance Bandage but what is a purple and gold star…presume it is some class of a Gaa award…club all stars or something similar…

I’d presume its the Wexican equivalent of the Blue Stars etc.