Wexford GAA 2008

and what is a blue star when it is at home…team of the year for the county championship?

Yep, it’s been running for about 5 or 6 years at home now and is based on the All Stars. 'Twas decided it would be good to honour the best players in the local championships in hurling and football by picking a Purple and Gold Star team. The teams then play the Wexford senior hurling and football teams in charity games in some shitty little pitch on a ridiculous date like 4th January every year. The nominees are picked by a committee of local GAA and media heads and always raise a few surprises.

I’m in favour of things like the blue stars, purple and gold stars, white stars, etc, think its a fine idea and a nice nod to the County Cships and those who excel.

no harm…something similar here except 45 lads are nominated for each team and the public decides and they get an auld night out at a dinner dance over the christmas and ate a bit oif dry turkey and ham…

Embarrassing that.

On Niall McDonald-he’s a good lad alright. Was on the WIT hurling team of all time (Only Wexford player to make it)
Played against him a few times and himself and his brothers never spared it.
Liam Dunne always rated him as one of the best players he ever played with.

It would indeed be farcical if Ger Doyle or Tossy Ryan vetoed the appointment of a Wexford All-Ireland winning captain, a former All Star, a player who’s won a plethora of county titles due to some personal grievance. You couldn’t make it up though I doubt Bonnar would have accepted the job if selectors are foisted on him and he doesn’t get to choose them himself.

Doubt McDonald was that old by 1996 was he?

Do any of ye Wexicans remember a guy from Oulart called Declan Stamp. He was corner back for the league in 1996. Not sure how good or bad he did but he wasnt on the championship panel. Did he walk off or what?

[quote=“KIB man”]Doubt McDonald was that old by 1996 was he?

Do any of ye Wexicans remember a guy from Oulart called Declan Stamp. He was corner back for the league in 1996. Not sure how good or bad he did but he wasnt on the championship panel. Did he walk off or what?[/quote]

He was indeed a good corner back, I think he fell victim to the discipline that Griffin instilled that year. He was on the team for a while and I think he missed a few sessions due to flimsyish excuses. Griffin dropped him and I suppose made an example of him. It was handy because he had cover for the position anyway and he made his point.

Eamon Sinnott was another fella who missed out on a medal, think he told Griffin when he’d be back. Obviously the big nosed one didn’t agree. I’d be guessing Niall Mc is roughly the same age as Boner if they wre in college together?

[quote=“KIB man”]Doubt McDonald was that old by 1996 was he?

Do any of ye Wexicans remember a guy from Oulart called Declan Stamp. He was corner back for the league in 1996. Not sure how good or bad he did but he wasnt on the championship panel. Did he walk off or what?[/quote]

Was that the ‘Rocker’ Stamp? Dunno that story now.

McDonald I think was dropped by Griffin in 95 and only played a couple of league games. I think injury and fitness caught him in 96 and Griffin couldn’t promise him a place so he called it a day.
Think that’s what i remember now.

McDonald and his brother (Diarmuid I think) were good hurlers. Never found wanting for heart and determination. Always wondered what they were up to now.

Mc Donald was class alright, hardy hoor too. Shame about that fluffed clearance in the league final in '93 (think it was game 2) that led to the Cork spits equaliser.

Toms Dunne was another casualty of Griffin laying down the law.

[quote=“Paul Codd”]

I can’t remember exactly but did he not connect sweetly with a ground stroke that ended up with Jim Cashman, who then pointed from 60 or 70 yards? Disasterously good connection if so.

Big Christy doing the hucklebuck in the Horse and Jockey. Great days.

[quote=“Appendage”]I can’t remember exactly but did he not connect sweetly with a ground stroke that ended up with Jim Cashman, who then pointed from 60 or 70 yards? Disasterously good connection if so.

Big Christy doing the hucklebuck in the Horse and Jockey. Great days.[/quote]

you’re correct he hit it lovely from the right corner out the field where it bounced up perfectly to the unmarked Cashman. Balls anyhow.

I was there for that too. Twas savage craic.

Christy Keogh = Legend.

I’m now hearing John O’Connor and Skippy Ruth being mentioned as selectors with McDonald and Storey looking more unlikely. Could Skippy give up his blossoming punditry career to assist Colm Bonnar? Will this leave an opening for Larry O’Gorman to return to The Sunday Game panel? Tune in next week to find out more.

Yep, so we’ve finalised our hurling management team. They are:

Trainer:
Tom Mulally - Glenmore: Brother of Richie, was training Rathnure and the Carlow hurlers recently. Have heard decent reports about him.

Selectors:
Eamonn Scallan - Ferns: Sent off in the 1996 final. Has had some success managing Ferns. Took them up to senior last year and they were narrowly beaten by eventual winners St Martin’s in the senior quarter final this year. Also, managed their U-21s to a county final win recently. Was expecting to see a more high profile 1996 man involved.

Conor Power - St Martin’s: Involved in coaching and games development in WIT so knows Bonnar through that. Was on and off the Martin’s senior team a good few years back but got fat and more or less gave up. No real pedigree it has to be said but must be close to Bonnar. Is also ginger, which is a concern.

John Barron - Glynn-Barntown: A former Wexford wing forward from 1981-84, he’s been involved in managing many teams at club level, including the Glynn-Barntown seniors a while back. A good guy by all accounts.

2008 Purple and Gold Star Teams

Football:
Tom Hughes (Kilanerin);
Colm Morris (Castletown),
Jonathan Waters (Taghmon-Camross),
Cathal Gaule (Shelmaliers);
Gordon Hughes (Kilanerin),
Pat Forde (Kilanerin),
David Walsh (Shelmaliers);
Paddy Colfer (Clongeen),
Brian Malone (Shelmaliers);
Redmond Barry (St. Anne’s),
Philip Wallace (Gusserane),
Shane Cullen (Gusserane);
P.J. Banville (Horeswood),
Tommy Boland (Kilanerin),
Matty Forde (Kilanerin).

Subs: Walter Cosgrave (Gusserane), Andreas Doyle (Taghmon-Camross), Ciarn Deely (Horeswood), Adrian Flynn (Gusserane), David Bradley (Adamstown).

Hurling:
Dermot Flynn (Rathnure);
Antony OConnell (Rathnure),
Paul Roche (Oulart-The Ballagh),
Lar Leacy (Blackwater);
Michael Jacob (Oulart-The Ballagh),
Rory McCarthy (St. Martin’s),
Ciarn Kenny (Buffers Alley);
Eoin Quigley (St. Martin’s),
Diarmuid Lyng (St. Martin’s);
Michael Lillis (Blackwater),
Redmond Barry (St. Anne’s),
Nigel Higgins (Rathnure);
Barry Lambert (St. Martin’s),
Rory Jacob (Oulart-The Ballagh),
Nicky Kirwan (Oulart-The Ballagh).

Subs: Phelim O’Connor (St. Martin’s), Daith Hayes (St. Martin’s), Johnny Murphy (Blackwater), David Redmond (Oulart-The Ballagh), Paudie Kelly (St. Martin’s).

2008 Purple and Gold Star Teams

Football:
Tom Hughes (Kilanerin);
Colm Morris (Castletown),
Jonathan Waters (Taghmon-Camross),
Cathal Gaule (Shelmaliers);
Gordon Hughes (Kilanerin),
Pat Forde (Kilanerin),
David Walsh (Shelmaliers);
Paddy Colfer (Clongeen),
Brian Malone (Shelmaliers);
Redmond Barry (St. Annes),
Philip Wallace (Gusserane),
Shane Cullen (Gusserane);
P.J. Banville (Horeswood),
Tommy Boland (Kilanerin),
Matty Forde (Kilanerin).

Subs: Walter Cosgrave (Gusserane), Andreas Doyle (Taghmon-Camross), Ciarn Deely (Horeswood), Adrian Flynn (Gusserane), David Bradley (Adamstown).

Hurling:
Dermot Flynn (Rathnure);
Antony OConnell (Rathnure),
Paul Roche (Oulart-The Ballagh),
Lar Leacy (Blackwater);
Michael Jacob (Oulart-The Ballagh),
Rory McCarthy (St. Martins),
Ciarn Kenny (Buffers Alley);
Eoin Quigley (St. Martins),
Diarmuid Lyng (St. Martins);
Michael Lillis (Blackwater),
Redmond Barry (St. Annes),
Nigel Higgins (Rathnure);
Barry Lambert (St. Martins),
Rory Jacob (Oulart-The Ballagh),
Nicky Kirwan (Oulart-The Ballagh).

Subs: Phelim OConnor (St. Martins), Daith Hayes (St. Martins), Johnny Murphy (Blackwater), David Redmond (Oulart-The Ballagh), Paudie Kelly (St. Martins).

from what i could make out from been out in town on friday night the lads seem to leave whites and go to stores after the presentations… well i ran into colm morris and red barry coming out of stores anyway

anyone hear anything about the district teams and matches that were on at the weekend