Wexford GAA 2012

Runt, there’s always been a movement of players in Wexford town, as croppy says. Alan Aherne’s splendid history of the wonderful Sarsfields GFC chronicles football in the town from the birth of the GAA and right from the start there was clubs being set up, disbanded, reformed and then completely new ones springing up on an ad hoc basis every once in a while too.

There’s actually too many football clubs for the size of the town and I think it’s 5 at the last count following St Joseph’s reforming a few years ago (Sarsfields, St John’s Volunteers, Clonard spit, St Mary’s Maudlintown, St Joseph’s). The most recent other club (which mainly serviced the local criminal fraternity) was called the Dan O’Connell’s but they disbanded around 10 or 15 years ago now and I’d say St Joseph’s mainly provides that service these days.

There’s no parish rule in Wexford town so, even though each club has a traditional heartland in the town, lads tend move clubs on a whim. Some move based on friendships they make growing up and in school (i.e. my best friends are with the Sars so I’m going to join them now) while with others it can be disillusionment with not getting a game, pure boredom, chasing success, being invited to move etc. There’s even a few soccer clubs that would be aligned with certain GAA clubs. Most of the St Mary’s lads would play with Wexford Bohemians soccer club, for example. It’s quite amusing to see the annual transfer merrygoround though.

Julio, Wexford is a beautiful contradiction. A place where a seemingly docile opera fanatic can at other times be capable of violent assault. It’s a tough, working class town but one whose inhabitants have a deep appreciation for its art, culture, history and heritage. Certain districts are extremely rough and people from Wexford town are generally hard as nails - me for example.

Thats mad now, didn’t realise it was like that.
In Limerick city where there is no parish rule transfers are rare and there have been some hotly disputed transfers.

Team for tomorrow nigth against the dubs, they wont be too bad…

Brendan Redmond – Clongeen
Willie Devereux – St Martins
Danny Gardiner – Castletown
Micheal Furlong – Adamstown
Lee Chin – Sarsfields
John Leacy – Glynn/Barntown
Shane Sinnott – St Mary’s Rosslare
Matthew O Hanlon – St James
Aiden Cash – Shelmaliers
Barry O Gorman – Taghmon/Camross
Graham Cullen – Gusserane
Liam Og McGovern – St Annes
Declan Murphy – Horeswood
Micheal O Regan – Glynn/Barntown
Kevin Rowe – Fethard

John Ryan – St James
Brendan Halpin – Castletown
Darragh McDonald – Naomh Eanna
Colm Kehoe – Cloughbawn
Brian Berney – St Martins
Stephen Corrigan – Shelmaliers
David Larkin – Horeswood
Lee Devereux – St Marys Rosslare
Darren Foley – Fethard
Graham Carty – St Marys Maudlintown
Jack Kelly – Starlights
Ian Byrne – Ferns/St Aidens
Ciaran Roberts – Ferns/St Aidens
Eddie Shiely – Horeswood
Aiden Rochford – St Annes
Philip Murphy – Bannow Ballymitty

See an interview with legendary Wexford camóg Úna Leacy ahead of the All Ireland Senior Club Camogie Final this weekend:

http://vimeo.com/37599731

Courtesy of Jerome Quinn Media.

Best of luck to Oulart-The Ballagh. A great bunch of lads.

thats a decent forward line for the U21s. Tough ask to beat Dublin though. Odd to see O Reegan at full forward, but I suppose they worked a tactic last year with a big physical full forward, so I expect it’ll be similar set p to last year. Murphy and Rowe beside him are pretty quick and sharp.

Couldnt get my TFK app working this evening for some reason. Probably better off I suppose!

[font=Verdana][size=3]Dublin deserved that. They played better than us and were much quicker on the break. They werent as wasteful around the middle, and used their full forward line brilliantly, left a load of space and hit them early. Our full back line played well, but its very hard to defend when your opponent gets quality ball. [/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=3]We got more on top in the middle in the second half. they went right out of it, and we got on top and the ref started giving us a few decisions too. Michael O Regan had a good game, took some good scores, but also missed a few chances too. We missed a few fress, Deccie Murphy took one at the end and I’m not sure what he was trying. Point was on but he missed, dont know if he was dropping it in for a goal chance or what. [/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=3]When we levelled, they lifted their game a lot, defended well and attacked very quickly. They hit 3 quick points and killed off the game. John Leacy, who had a good game for us, was taken down near the penalty area at the end, but I couldnt say if it was one or not, despite roaring for it! [/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=3]We played ok in spells, but we were far too slow getting the ball in. Our inside forward line would make a run, and too often we soloed or turned back and then tried hit it in. There was a lot of handpassing in between the 45s and in the centre of the field. Instead of attacking the wings, or half backs and half forwards always turned inside and got bottled up. When we hit quick ball early on, it worked, and then again when we came back to level it. [/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=3]The lads did well though. They pulled back a big defecit and never gave up. They showed good attitude and didnt lie down. Leacy, O Hanlon, O Reegan, McGovern probably the pick of the players.[/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=3]Dublin have a few nice players, but they werent overly impressive either. Kilkenny showed flashes of excellence, but nothing consitently brilliant. Ryan and Dawson also playing well, its a good full forward line they have, and they use them well. Sweeney at centre forward probably the one I’d pick out as being their best tonight, made some good surging runs through the centre but played a bit too deep and let Leacy play a lot of ball.[/size][/font]

Regan pissed me off immensely tonight, he got what 1-4? kicked 4-5 horrible wides seemed to be playing only for himself… agree with gman re the defence, huge gap between half back line and full back line…couldnt be arsed putting up full report…

Anyone heading to the senior football tomorrow?

Team is:
Masterson;
Mulligan, Molloy, Malone;
Tierney, Flynn, Doyle;
Shore, Waters;
Barry, Morris, Brosnan;
Lyng, Bradley, Banville.

Not sure if Lee Chin is injured or what. He’s not listed in the subs either. The defence doesn’t look the strongest but we’ll probably offer them more protection than in the first two games with Morris and Bradley likely to funnel back.

chin wasnt great at the u21 bandage.

i might be able to make the game…

Half Time: Wexford 1-12 Tipperary 1-5.

Barry, Banville and Brosnan seem to be doing the damage.

Full Time: Wexford 2-20 Tipperary 1-8.

Barry and Banville with the goals. Wexford finished with 13 men - Paddy Byrne (straight red) and David Murphy (two yellows) were sent off.

This is a division where you can be relegated with 6 points and promoted with 8 points and points difference has cost us promotion in recent years too so the margin of victory could be important come the end.

A good solid win, but fooking hell Tipp were useless. They got an early goal, and a couple of points, and then only got 6 points in the remaining 60 odd minutes. Red scored a beauty of a goal, cracked into the top corner from the 21. PJ got a goal late on after we went down to 14 men. Probably the 2 best there today, PJ got 1-4 and Red 1-2. Waters and Shore dominated midfield. Our backs had very very little to do.

But the fooking ref was useless. He was booking players alll over the place for nothing tackles, and then would miss blatant frees. He sent off Paddy Byrne for an innocuous late tackle, it was more a flick as he passed a man who handpassed off a ball, probably worth a yellow alright, but the clown gave him a straight red. Then he booked Murphy and their no12 for an off the ball thing the linesman saw, but their no12 already had a yellow from the first half. And the idiot didnt give him a red. And as the play restarted, Murphy was tackling a player, and it might have been a free, but even at that it was dubious, and then he pulls out a yellow and sends him off. Their midfielder got a second yellow when he conceded a penalty late on that Lyng missed.

Good win though, and as bandage says, good to get the scoring advantage back up.

Thanks for the report Gman.

Just looking at the remaining fixtures:

Offaly (A)
Roscommon (H)
Antrim (A)
Longford (A)

Antrim and Longford have both taken maximum points so far and they play each other in Round 5. We’ll probably need to win 3 of those 4 games to get promoted.

how many of the football squad would make the hurling panel?

[quote=“KIB man, post: 637672”]

how many of the football squad would make the hurling panel?[/quote]

I reckon Brian Malone, Andrew Shore, Daithi Waters, Redmond Barry, Ciarán Lyng and Lee Chin would be capable of making a 30-man hurling squad.

We’re playing Offaly at home in the NHL on Sunday. Christ, I despise Offaly.

Harry Kehoe and David Redmond come into the hurling team for Darren Stamp and Gary Moore. A few positional changes too:

Éanna Martin,
Bobby Kenny, Matthew O’Hanlon, Barry Kehoe,
Keith Rossiter, John Leacy, Ciarán Kenny,
David Redmond, Harry Kehoe,
Richie Kehoe, Eoin Quigley, PJ Nolan,
Tomás O’Leary, Gareth Sinnott, Diarmuid O’Keeffe.

I’m glad Rossi is out of centre back. He’s never impressed me there at county level which is a shame as he’s one of the most natural hurlers we have. Suppose we have to have O’Hanlon at full back as well to give him experience and the same with Leacy. That’s a fairly inexperienced full back line and I presume they’ll target them like they did in the Walsh shield with high balls bombed in on top of Brady. Has Richie Kehoe got any bit more mobile as he wouldn’t strike me as a natural wing forward?

I’m starting to get angry thinking about Offaly now. We better beat these inbreds in Wexford Park and O’Connor Park today.

Yeeessss!

Unbelievable scenes…