Wexford GAA 2012

I said that earlier Mac about people’s expectations of Dunne, but Limerick FFS? Next thing we’ll be losing to Clare.

I wasn’t at the games in Wexford Park yesterday but I remarked about there being no discernible style of play or pattern to our hurling after the Offaly game and that the late goals partly masked those worrying signs. And even at that, the goals came from two 21-yard frees and a scramble after a '65 rather than cleverly worked moves or intelligent play.

We need to get our heads around the fact that terms like ‘support play’ and ‘creating space’ are more than just buzz words. I genuinely don’t have an idea what goes on in training but I know for a fact that the previous regime did no work on tactics or actual game situations in training.

As regards this campaign, I accept that i) it’s still early in the season and ii) we were still trying out younger development squad players in the Walsh Cup and haven’t had a huge amount of time together as a squad. That said, I’d have expected to see more signs of them playing with better structure and to a recognisable game plan.

I don’t expect us to be world beaters and I don’t think we have the standard of players to really mix it with the top teams at the moment but there’s multiple examples across many sports where a lesser team playing with real determination and commitment and to a structured game plan that everyone has bought into can be competitive against superior sides. We need to get to that base to start with.

tought one coming up in ennis
Clare on form will be expected to win, but we have a horrific league record v Wexford.
THat said, we should win this
that would leave Wexford on 1-4 with a very stick assignment in portaoise

It is no bad thing that Wexford will be playing division 2B in the hurling next year. That is more your level and with a bit of luck ye can bounce back again to division 1B within a couple of years.

how many do go down? Wexford are better than laois for sure and i think they’ll give us bags of it too

Wexford will go down and Limerick will go up. But sure of course we should already be up.

bottom two go into a play off. Presuming that antrim and wexford are level on 4 points each then Wexford would be in the play off due to the head to head between the counties. i wouldn’t be taking next week for granted either, Wexford will have no pressure or expectation on them

I’ve been doing some Wexford hurling research. So far I’ve discovered the following:

• (1) A fair few of our players played All County League games on Saturday;
  • (2) We’ve been concentrating on physical training and have literally been doing fuck all actual hurling or tactical work.

(1) I’m all for players being released to play with their clubs rather than having the ridiculous scenario where the entire club championship is delayed while the inter-county team is involved in the championship. But it should surely be done in a more structured and planned manner. Playing twice in 2 days is just asking for injuries*.

(2) When are we going to learn that it pays to combine fitness work with actual game scenarios and tactical work?*

• This has been confirmed by Kev.

What age would the fellas from 96 be now? Maybe some of them should be brought back onto the team, they can’t be much worse than what’s there already. What age would Story be now, and Billy Bryne?

That is a very amusing post by the dunph :clap: :lol: :clap:

About 16 years older than they were in 1996.

If Story was 21 in 96 then he is only 37 now and could still be coaxed back to play.

If

Could

Dunph has posted more on this page than in the entire thread. A pity he couldn’t get anyone to bite. He obviously confused himself by saying we’d be hurling in 2B next year on this thread while talking about 2A on another thread.

Bandages point above his key. Chewys mate Dunne has been focussing on getting a committed bunch together and getting rid of the deadwood. We’ll let Clare beat us and hammer Teddys bunch of drunks twice to preserve our league status. We’ll give the Biffos a fight in the championship before losing and getting the easier route through the qualifiers for a change to give the young lads an idea of what its like to hurl into July before bowing out respectively to a team that goes onto win the All Ireland.

Storey is 47 I believe.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using TFK App

:clap:

Hundreds attend unveiling of Nickey Rackard statue

A crowd of hundreds along with a host of dignitaries, including Uachtaran Cumman LĂșth-Chleas Gael, Christy Cooney attended the unveiling today of the new life sized statue of Wexford hurling legend, Nickey Rackard.
[font=Arial][size=4]http://www.wexfordgaa.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/gaa1-300x237.jpg[/size][/font][indent=1]
[font=Arial]Also in attendance were dozens of family members, old team mates and friends of the great man.[/font]

[font=Arial]The statue, by leading English artist, Mark Richards, was commissioned by Wexford Borough Council and is a fitting tribute to one of Wexford’s most famous sons and a legend of the ash![/font]

[font=Arial]
[/font]
[/indent]

Well overdue - hasn’t there been a long controversial history sorrounding this statue?

Some of the surrounding businesses were trying to block it for a while I think.

Twas originally supposed to be in the Bullring and then if I remember correctly it was going to be put on a roundabout and there was talk of it being outside Wexford Park. My understanding is that it’s in its current location as the owner of Greenacres was involved in it and may have helped out financially with it. Not sure how true that it though.

Senior Hurling Team for Sunday away to Clare:

Breen;
Tonks, O’Hanlon, Rossiter ©;
Redmond, Stamp, Kenny;
Quigley, Nolan;
Guiney, Leacy, Kehoe;
Jacob, Banville, O’Keeffe.

Lyng is among the substitutes.