Wexford GAA 2012

Christ, I despise Jason Ryan.

Fair play to Adrian Flynn and his 5 points from play from wing back…

Gas that PJ Banville was left out today for playing soccer yet we had Flynn pleading with a local sports reporter and begging that he wouldn’t mention the fact he played soccer…

Flynn actually scored in the game but the great Brendan Furlong credited his goal to someone else when Flynn approached him afterwards…

Soccer is awful, you see. He should have been left out today…

surely time for paul carty to be given his chance eh Bandage?

to be fair district league soccer games on shit pitches are dangerous for picking up lower leg injuries anyway?

[quote=“KIB man, post: 638100”]
surely time for paul carty to be given his chance eh Bandage?[/quote]

He should definitely be on the shortlist anyway, KIB man. You’d have the likes of Carty, Eamon Moulds, Paud Moriarty, Derek O’Reilly and Jim McGovern under consideration but Tony Dempsey should probably get it after he leads Sarsfields to the county championship title.

Is someone in the Leinster Council playing a sick joke on Wexford supporters? 3 games involving our county teams in Tullamore in 8 days. Deary me.

I read someone actually use this as proof of how good a manager he is because he’s always hugging his players, fucking ridiculous behaviour, a cursory nod is more than enough, its a mans game ffs.

Others might point to his results as proof of his worth as manager…

Yet this person chose to use the fact that he’s touchy feelie as proof of his worth. Go figure.

Mourinho’s proof is in his trophies sid (edited for sw)

Show me your medals

What’s a trophy’s sid?

Did you mean lid?

Good grief.

Those Mourinho pictures are either after games or during stoppages after a goal has been scored. Quite different from Ryan’s touchy feely debriefs as the game is going on.

Waterford men are not afraid to show emotion,remember John Mullane proclaiming his love of the county while crying after a munster final.Although i do wonder would Ryan be as affectionate if he was over the Cork hurlers…

A fairly strong looking Under 21 hurling team named for Wednesday evening’s match in Tullamore against Offaly:

Mark Fanning (Glynn-Barntown),
Willie Devereux (St. Martin’s), Matt O’Hanlon (St. James’), Alan Nolan (Taghmon),
Mark Maloney (St. Martin’s), Conor Goff (Oulart-The Ballagh), Aidan Cash (Shelmaliers),
Aidan Nolan (Bunclody), Diarmuid O’Keeffe (St. Anne’s),
Lee Chin (Faythe Harriers), Michael O’Regan (Glynn-Barntown), Gary Moore (Glynn-Barntown),
Jack Hobbs (Realt Na Mara), Jack Guiney (Rathnure), Barry Carton (Cloughbawn).

[size=3]Subs: [font=Arial]Dean Maloney (Our Lady’s Island), Barry O’Gorman (Taghmon), Cathal Clince (Duffry Rovers), Cormac Foley (Buffers Alley), Declan Foley (Rathnure), Dermot O’Leary (St. Pat’s), Fintan Mullins (Our Lady’s Island), Ian Byrne (Ferns), Kevin Nimmo (Oulart-The Ballagh), Kevin Whelan (St Anne’s), Liam Óg McGovern (St Anne’s), Pa Green (Glynn-Barntown), Rhys Clarke (Faythe Harriers), Shane O’Gorman (Taghmon), Tommy Dunne (St. Pat’s).[/font][/size]

surely time for bocky at the edge of the square?

I watched the game back over lunch…

masterson; stay in goal and work on your kickouts, it’s nice to have an extra body but if he’s going to do this he must let the ball go before coming into contact.
Murphy did alright, got burnt a bit by his man which led to molloy having to come across and leaving Cavanaugh open.
molloy; caught ball watching a few times into the first half, far better in the second, there’s not many days he’ll cough up 4 scores.
Tierney; average, kicked one awful ball in the first half, redeemed himself with a great score at the death, what the hell he was doing there is any ones guess…need to see him more in defence
Flynn; outstanding, shows how we can beat blanket defence by taking score from the wing, solid defensively too.
Malone; no need for him to attack, he’s centre back needs to act like it and shield the full back line as much as mark Barden, Barden is most dangerous when running at a team as proven with his goal.malone needs to hold the centre more.
Chin; did ok for a debutant didn’t seem hugely confident kicking the ball, how would he go wing fwd? heard he plays in the fwds for the sars…
waters; everyone knows daithis limitations, and yet he probably got on more ball than anyone else, never used it effectively and gives away silly frees, the last passage of play was criminal, we won no ball wither cleanly at midfield or from breaks. I think out of 42 kickouts we only won something like 7!
Quinlivan; as per waters but is a bit more of a refined player, can’t seem to last 70 mins though, worrying thing is who are our other options in midfield? shore and bocky neither seem that fit. Bear in mind too that one of the Longford midfielders was u21 last year and completely eclipsed by hanlon and Reagan
brosnan; poorest game i’ve seen him play in a while, seemed to get pushed off a lot of ball, his free taking was still top notch though
Bradley; huffed and puffed as usual, got a score, but Mickey Quinn really dictated play for them, Bradley needs to let the ball go earlier
Carty; put in a defensive performance but I expected more of him, might be too small as well…
red; shacked by the blanket but linked well one or two times, lack of ball in is killing the full forward line
Roche; more of the same from Shane, seems to a better sub, takes too long to have a go and when he does the whole stadium knows he’s going for it
lyng; made good runs but no one seemed confident of picking him out with a pass. Our most dangerous fwd

banville; had a point to prove and sadly snatched at any chance he got…
Byrne; seemed to limp onto the pitch, could be the man to play centre fwd due to his physique dangerous running at teams
Morris; cool head might be physically past it though

ultimately we cannot seem to deal with Longford’s defensive system, they flood the middle and we try to still play 2-2-2 in the forwards…I think a 4-2 approach would work better as we would be able to establish more width further out the field whilst leaving space inside.

our transition from defence to attack was truly awful, I don’t know how many balls we turned over through unforced errors but it was incredibly frustrating, high looping hand passes will get lads killed.

hopefully the weather will be better in Offaly and we get some confidence back in our play.

awful spelling mistakes aside, would more or less agree with that count, although you are a bit generous on Molloy. He was absolutely shocking in the first half, and all of his own doing. Was ball watching a few times when Kavanagh slipped away, and we nearly got caught for a goal when he went tearing out following Kavanagh instead of manning the defence. Usually he gets both inistances of when to follow the man, or follow the ball, but in the first half he got it all wrong. Kudos to him for a hugely improved second half and what we have come to expect.

Thought Mutley did alright on McCormack. He ran riot on Tierney in the final, and you could see Mutley was thinking about his tackling. Awful decision to give him a yellow card, although Lyngs yellow was worse. Barely even a free and gets a yellow.

Roche gets his chances in a lot of games, and he still has never really capitilised on them. Got another great chance and was pretty anonymous most of the game. Banville in for Carty the next day should be a given, and hopefully will liven things up in the full forward line. We need to win far more in the middle. We won a lot of breaking ball in the first half, but need more clean ball, and if not that, then more breaking ball for the full game.

And without doubt, we need a plan B. We need options for chaning around our tactics and getting the ball into scoring positions, Whether that is throwing Byrne in at full forward and targetting high balls in on him, or something else (did I read that Boccy got 1-4 from full forward last week?), it needs to be done. The endless passing over and back across the pitch with no incision is pointless.

Hopefully the mistakes were a first round championship cobwebs type of thing, and that we will be sharper on Sunday.

is that gimp with the beard still playing

apologies for the awful spelling mistakes gman, i was under some time constraint.

strange there has been no mention of barden flattening malone too…

re boccy, yeah he got 1-4 in the championship but none of it off the type of ball you would expect… im not sure hed be the answer but he would be an outlet, and it would force the longford full back to break a lot more ball…

perhaps i am being generous to molloy but i watch the game through green and white glasses… one major thing is there is rarely need for our centre back to go fwd when we have our wing backs attacking the whole time…

yeah I made mention of Bardens yellow card but the very same incident in the Fermanagh game resulted in a red card.

Malone shouldnt be going forward alright, he should be just holding his position around the 45 and stopping the long balls from reaching the full back line. As for Boccy, I doubt he is the answer! But you get what I mean. If Byrne could be used as a target man it might shake it up, or as you say, spread the outer forwards more to the wing and a bit deeper rather than funnelling everything up theourh the centre.