Wexford GAA 2012

Lost 0-13 to 1-11 to NUIG. didnt hear anything about it though.

Yeah Wexford threw the game away really. Went 7-1 up in first half before NUIG made a comeback, scoring a goal with a flick from a high ball in first half. Wexford had strong wind in first half too and only went in at half time 0-9 to 1-5 up.

O’Keefe and Lee Chin played well enough in midfield but OKeefe must have hit 7 wides from directly in front of goal, 40 yards out. Forwards missed plenty of chances and we were poor really on the attacking front.

Backs did ok with John Leacy looking good in particular at centre back.

Plenty of new faces though for the seniors and a decent enough run out for January.

Throw up the NUIG team if you have it.

As Gman says, 0-13 to 1-11 defeat today to the students of NUIG.

First things first, it was very refreshing to see so many new and young faces involved. I know it has been described as a Development panel or whatever, but to see such a spread of clubs and some many lads get a chance to put their hand up and stake a claim for involvement later in the year was encouraging.

Actually started the game quite well and put in a very good shift in the first 20 minutes to build up a four or five point lead. Ian Byrne (Ferns) picked off a couple of points from frees and wing forward Tomas O’Leary (Alley) scored a lovely point from the left sideline during that spell. John Leacy at centre back was also solid on long distance frees and indeed in general play.

As you would expect they were all keen to impress and certainly showing that from the off. Mid-field pair of Lee Chin (Harriers) and Diarmaid O’Keefe (St Annes) hurled a huge amount of ball in the first 20/25 minutes. Lee Chin is a class apart and looked right at home. He is such an intelligent hurler with great vision. O’Keefe was very industrious but a little wasteful, he hit numerous wides from distance, but he kept going for scores and I was happy to see that we need midfielders contributing on the scoreboard. The pair worked well together. But just to reiterate, Chin oozes class. We need this guy to commit to hurling.

Foot seemed to come off the pedal just before half time, and a 0-9 to 0-3 lead turned into a half time lead of just 0-9 to 1-5 (NUIG goal came from long delivery from a free which was added to very well by corner forward).

Jim Berry frustrated me throughout, he was the only one of the olg guard oon show and he showed all of the habits of old, taking too much out of the ball, running into trouble, getting hooked, etc. Needs to let the ball do the work.

Secoond half we struggled for scores. But I have to say the effort levels didn’t drop. NUIG built up a 0-10 to 1-10 lead picking off a number of frees sporadically. We got it back to one point game 0-12 to 1-10 and pushed hard for an equaliser but it didn’t come and NUIG probably just about desereved their 0-13 to 1-11 win.

Alot of positives I thought. Full back line was solid, Travers (naomh Eanna, Mal’s younger brother) was very good in the air at full back. Leacy (G/Barntown) was very good at centre back and solid on long distance frees, Willie Devereux (Martins) and James Tonks (Ferns) hurled plenty of ball and made excellent use of diagonal ball into four forward line. Very few aimless high balls dropped in. Best example was probably a Jim Berry point in firrst half that came from a great catch by Travers, he found Devereux who switched play to Tonks, he then found Berry who slotted it over.

Forwards worked hard and didn’t allow soft clearances which was an improvement. We are still struggling to unearth natural forwards, Tomas O’Leary (Alley) and Ian Byrne (Ferns) were best of the starters but possibly the two with most potential were two of the subs introduced, Padraig Doran (Oylegate) and Jack Guiney (Rathnure). Carroll (Cushinstown) and Fogarty (St Annes) offered little and I was disapointed with Eoin Moore, a guy with bags of potential but isn’t producing.

Some young subs also saw game time and contributed well…Michael O’Hanlon (Horeswood) scored a lovely point when introduced but was quite hesitant when on the ball., Gary Moore (Barntown) slotted a difficult free shortly after his introduction and Jack Guiney, Shane Tompkins (Askamore) and Padraig Doran also saw some action.

The revelution has started, but it will take time.

Wexford Team:
Eanna Martin; Bobby Kenny, Brendan Travers, Barry Kehoe; Willie Devereux, John Leacy (0-3, frees 1 '65), James Tonks; Lee Chin (0-1), Diarmaid O’Keefe; Daniel Martin Carroll (0-1), Jim Berry (0-2), Tomas O’Leary (0-1); Eoin Moore, Jonathan Fogarty, Ian Byrne (0-3, 2 frees). Subs: Michael O’Hanlon (0-1) for Carroll, Padraig Doran for Byrne, Shane Tompkins for Fogarty, Gary Moore (0-1, free) for Eoin Moore, Jack Guiney for Berry.

Thanks for the reports chaps. :clap:

Is there a shield version of The Walsh Cup or is that us done?

I believe there is a shield or at least there was in years gone by

Wexford 7 to 4 down. Playing with wind in second half.

Roche missed great goal chance. Ref not great.

Sars corner back Mulligan doing alright, both teams a little ring rusty.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using TFK App

Extra Time in Enniscorthy…

Twitter confirms Wexford victory of1-15 to 0-17 … Niall Murphy got sent off in the last few mins of extra time… awaiting match analysis from those at the game

The Wexford town transfers are amusing every January. I know Lee Chin has signed his form to transfer to the Sarsfields but the deadline is not until the last day of January and he is therefore still a St. Mary’s player until that time in accordance with GAA rules, despite the new Co. PRO listing him twice as a Sarsfields player in team lineouts. I understand that the Mary’s and Joseph’s were all set to amalgamate after several meetings and it was all ready to go until someone asked what jerseys they would wear. Agreement couldn’t be reached so they are both going it alone again this year. Mongs.

Seriously?

I’ve heard that the Mary’s have submitted a very in depth Strategic Development Plan. The Joseph’s will only ever be as good as the number of there forwards that are not in jail, shower of scumbags.

Count, could you post up a summary of the football game yesterday when you get a chance please? Heard James Holmes was impressive enough and got a few points.

Holmes was good. I thought Andy Doyle and Mutley were good as well.

Daithi Waters was his usual self. Good at getting on the ball but it looked that his brain and limbs ceased all communication after that was accomplished.

Our usual failings almost led to defeat. Messing around with the ball too much in the middle third and not just putting the ball in front of the corner forwards early was killing us. Red came off the bench and was probably the difference in the end. He won a few frees.

was at the game yesterday.

starting team was

masterson
mulligan
molloy
mutley
doyle
malone
flynn
quinlivan
water
brosnan
bradley
holmes
roche
byrne
o grady

was poor enough fare, largely contributed to by a mongo of a referee, wicklow could do no wrong for most of the game whereas any contact by a wexford player was adjudged to be a foul.

our full back line was under pressure for the first quarter with wicklow booming ball in from a btou 60 yds wiht the aid of a very strogn wind. wicklow missed one galring goal chance.

Same old problems really that always persist, over carrying and not enough quick ball, whilst there were good runs being made.

more of the same in the second half as the corwd suffered in silence apart from the usual overweight female wicklow fans screeeeeeeching their team on like it was the all ireland final and not the dirge it was.

wexford were unlucky with a couple of goal chances roche, should have really converted but shot too soon, and lee chin, after a wonderful through ball fomr substitute red barry was unlucky not to be awarded a penalty.

Wicklow then had a man sent off for a second yellow for a ridiculous tackle on rory quinlivan, at this time there were only 5 mins left.

wicklow gained the initiative hereafter and only for a wonderful diving block from full abck graeme molloy that was it. Tony hannon stepped up to take the 45 and drifted in wide left ala billy cundiff to send the game into overtime much to the despair of both freezing sets of supporters.

Andrew shore replaced quinlivan for ET, and “put himself about” not to much effect, but he tried hard, it was tit for tat for the first period. Lyng made a welcome return in the 2nd period of ET and it was his wonderful through ball to clubmate paudie kelly which set up the definitive score, with kelly shooting into a empty net after rounding the keeper.

was impressed on the day by holmes 0-3 and very industrious, tries to break too many tackles however.
Andy doyle had one of hi better games until he was replaced by lee chin
niall murphy was excellent but lost the head near the end of normal time, and was then sent off for very little in the first epriod of extra time, straight red card.

(i dont care how bad this report is, i get fed up of writing it)

:lol:

cheers anyway. what did Mutley do? or what got him so riled up?

are they releasing tickets for the stand in Clongeen for next week or what? it will sell out quick there I reckon.

Thanks folks. Was surprised we couldn’t see them off in normal time to be honest.

The Hurlers play Offaly in the Walsh Shield Final in Bellefield on Saturday and the Footballers play Laois in the O’Byrne Shield Final in that Clongeen shithole on Sunday.

Any reason they couldn’t have fixed it as a double header to try boost the crowd? It wouldn’t have suited Lee Chin for example but he’ll have to choose where his preference is at some point soon.

:lol:

They’ll want to be putting the big screen up on the quays again like they did when we played Leitrim a few years back.

That whole area between Taghmon and Campile is very strange. You lads from further south seem somewhat normal at least but it seems that the strip from Taghmon, through Wellingtonbridge, Clongeen, Ballycullane and into Campile is populated by weirdos. Anytime travelling there to play soccer or football was like travelling into a time warp.

mutley got elbowed in the mouth, was speaking to the ref and the wicklow player was still dragging out of him, he (mutley) slowly i cant emphasise how slowy tried to brush the wicklow player away, the ref sent him off for attempting to strike. it was ludicrous, ref was intent on levelling sides put a tarnish on a fine game by the bannow man.

And why the fook is that game in clongeen?? whee the fuck are ppl going to park?

Given how big the game will be, I assume there’ll be Park & Ride facilities from Wexford racecourse and either the Brandon House or Good Counsel in New Ross.

count, has there ever been a decision in a match where you didn’t think Wexford were hard done by?