Wexford GAA 2016

In fairness to Wexford, it has 5 different football teams in the town.

yes, proximity is actually a factor…

1 Like

There is only one football team in Wexford town.

Sarsfields.

Go on the butters.

:clap:

That’s cute.

2 Likes

There are far too many clubs in Wexford town.

Letterkenny has a similar population and only has two team, only one of which plays at Senior level.

Indeed. Nice to see you sporting an avatar of a Sarsfields man too. :clap:

1 Like

Sure there hasn’t been a good Sarsfields team since the 1930s…

ah come on now…

I think they won it in 1984

1 Like

They would have won another couple but the the Duffry Rovers juggernaut of the late 1980s/early 1990.

The Harringtons and Billy Dodd were serious footballers.

Some great battles with Kilanerin in the 1990s too. Lost a replayed final in 1993. Unbroken senior status for decades. :clap:

Well done jinxy.

The crap will be between the Sars and Adamstown.

Maybe even the Mogues @Gman who have you got in charge down there this year?

no one for the football yet count. Seems like a few clubs are still looking for managers/coaches. Hurling seems to be set up now and the group set up may also push things on a bit too. Jinxy speaking again, but I’d be surprised if our lot get embroiled in the relegation battle this year. Would agree that it will be between Adamstown and Sars for that last spot. Stars and potentially Horsewood on the other side, but Horeswood could come good this year with PJ back and it seems there is a bit more life in the set up this year already there.

PJ should keep them up, but at the same time he cant do it all on his own and more and more of their players have another year on the clock.

For once we are not scouting a new manager or mooting one…it seems strange. We will be very hard pressed this year, we were so lucky to stay injury free for the most part last year.

yeah its very tight. Even for yourselves to get through, it took Horeswood winning by 8 points. If Gusserane scored just one more point in that game they would have went through at your expense. Small margins. Same the year Clongeen won sure, they needed to win their last group game by more than 4 and they won by 5 and then went on to win it out. Kilanerin going down wasnt a massive shock (albeit most expected Adamstown to lose that relegation final), but as you could probably testify, its easier to stay up than it is to get promoted. Going down opens up a whole minefield of problems, at least if you can hang on in there you can keep ticking over. We put Glynn down in 2005 and they are only back up now. All the others, Taghmon, Bannow, Clongeen, Rosslare, Ballyhogue, Bunclody, Duffry, Gorey etc still stuck there.

I think Glynn won it in 2009 and came back down again but i think they could be a surprise package this year, we robbed them in the intermediate final of 2014.

The biggest thing is to just get out of the group.

I’m only taking the piss :slight_smile: my grandad is in that photo of the Sarsfields team that did the double in 1934/35. Sure everyone knows that the Vols are Wexford town’s premier team…

1 Like

Yea, I wonder could Glynn be dark horses, big strong team through the centre and plenty of under-age talent coming through

The thing is you could have said that for the last 6 years in intermediate, they seem to shit the bed more than we do.

Joseph’s man. Went to you’s cause they went under.

Not forgetting the brilliant HWH Bunclody team of 1985 also.