Wexford GAA 2016

I only caught a portion of it. Ya could be right. Haven’t seen anything in the papers or no one on this has said anything. County board tend to keep these things a secret.

I just thought with Mullally’s record with Borris maybe he would of got it.

And Clara. And Shelmaliers. He’s having a good run of it.

1 Like

So Mullally is only an advisor ? Ah here.

It was announced at 2 adult county board meetings in October or November and was in the paper a few times. It was well known for ages scallon would get it and the back room team that followed him thru the age groups would form the majority of the set up.

For the record, the Chairman said the names are as follows: Eamonn Scallan (Ferns St. Aidan’s), J.J. Doyle (Marshalstown-Castledockrell), Ger Coleman (Duffry Rovers) and Billy Byrne (Naomh Eanna), with Tom Mullally (Glenmore) as trainer.

Anyone watching Oulart yesterday would surely agree that Wexford County Board should be moving heaven and earth to get Frank Flannery as the next Wexford manager if this year, as everyone expects, is Liam Dunne’s last year. Imagine what he’d have achieved with Oulart if he’d gotten his hands on them 5 years ago when Stamp, Rossiter, Jacob etc were still in their twenties. An outstanding coaching/managing performance with them.

1 Like

ye will beat limerick in the league??

I don’t think so, pal. Wexford has never beaten a TJ Ryan managed Limerick team in competitive hurling.

Been strolling around The Falls Road and Whiterock Road over the past hour and went for a dander into Milltown Cemetry too. Might pop into The Rock for a bit of Rebel Sunday after the match to meet up with some of my comrades. Just spotted the Wexford team bus making its way up the Falls - I’m not too confident today as Antrim seem to be getting their house in order. Need Daithí Waters to get the better of the outstanding Michael McCann and take it from there.

4 Likes

Don’t think Waters is starting. Let’s hope he does.

@bandage, how bad were Shanleys missed frees? Seemed to be a large amount of them missed or dropped short according to Twitter.

7-4 down at half time after playing with a very strong wind. Shanley pointed 2 or 3 really good frees off the ground into the teeth of the wind in the second half. One 45 hung up and was caught on the line, as was another long range free. The killer was a mishit 14 yard free at 8-7 which he took off the ground but didn’t rise properly. It nearly caught the keeper by surprise for a goal - he palmed it up and out a bit and PJ Banville screwed the rebound high and wide on the volley.

I think one more long range free was caught in the square after that by the keeper. He earned a free out and had no short options so simply lorried it high and long towards the sideline at midfield. There was grappling on the ground and they somehow emerged with it, broke forward and scored a goal on the break to seal it.

Probably should have earned a draw at least based on second half dominance but some sloppy errors cost us. My faith in Big Dave Power is wavering somewhat.

1 Like

Diarmuid O’Keeffe (concussion) and Shane Tomkins (calf strain) join Conor McDonald (broken thumb) and Paul Morris (hamstring) in being ruled out of Saturday’s league opener in Limerick.

Ian Byrne (hamstring) and Podge Doran (ankle) played a part in the challenge game against Tipperary last midweek where O’Keeffe and Tomkins sustained their injuries so they should be available to play some part.

Conor Devitt has left the panel, along with Shane O’Gorman and Barry Carton. The college players who were ineligible for the Walsh Cup such as Jack Guiney, Pádraig Foley and Eoin Conroy are in contention for Saturday night.

Being your boots just in case

Any word on why Devitt left?

Brendan Furlong reports in today’s Wexford People that he cited college commitments.

1 Like

Power describes Antrim football as ‘thuggery’ http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/sport/gaa/power-describes-antrim-football-as-thuggery-34438241.html

Sounds a bit like sour grapes, what do you reckon @Bandage?

Yeah, I said as much on the main Allianz Football League thread where one of the lads raised it.

1 Like

Interview with Liam Dunne above.

Team for tomorrow night too.

McDonald aside, that’s about our strongest team isn’t it?