Wexford GAA 2016

Kevin Foley has opted out of the senior hurling squad for 2016 according to Brendan Furlong in today’s Wexford People. Foley will be available for JJ Doyle’s U21 side, however.

There’s another list of 40 players published and they’re invited to Development Squad training on Saturday morning. Anyone who’s unable to attend is requested to inform management. As alluded to last week, would an actual personal invite/call produce a better prospect of players joining this squad as opposed to a generic invite list on the website and in the local press?

This should go in the 2015 thread but sure what the hell

What’s his background? I recall Kev saying something about him but didn’t pay too much attention to him. Appears to have a far better way with words than Liam Dunne which wouldn’t be hard. How long before he’s linked with a Wexford job of some sort?

@bandage

Vols hurling gone.

Clonard in disarray.

County Board looking to rescind transfer rules on the town so as the harriers can rape and pillage .

A shambles.

One hundred and fifty Wexford natives honoured Enniscorthy man Art Foley in New York last week.

Art was the goalkeeper on Wexford’s All-Ireland hurling winning teams of 1955 and 1956.

Fresh from a game-winning save from Cork’s Christy Ring in the 1956 All-Ireland hurling final - a save that GAA historians call the greatest save ever made in Croke Park - Art emigrated to the U.S with his wife Anne and their then three young children in 1957. Eventually settling in Long Island just outside the City, Art has lived a quiet dignified life for more than 60 years, raising a family of six children, and now grandchildren and great grandchildren.

None of Art’s neighbours or co-workers at the airline company where he worked knew that Art was a revered sporting star in his native homeland. Even leaders in New York’s Wexford community did not realize that Art was alive and well in Long Island all these decades.

‘After receiving a call from Wexford hurling supporter club leader Joe Carroll in January of this year, I had to go through several channels to determine where Art lived and if he was still with us,’ said Wexford Association President and Ramsgrange native, John Murphy. ‘Fortunately for us, some members of the Ancient Order of Hibernians who worked with Art years ago had a number for him and we established contact and set about honouring Art for his legendary achievements.’

In attendance on the night were Irish Consulate General Barbara Jones, a native of Enniscorthy, famed singer and Wexford town native Larry Kirwan, and the majority leader of New York’s City Council, Jimmy Van Bramer, whose grandmother originally hails from Wexford.

In her speech, Consulate General Jones said the event filled her with emotion for her native County and said all Wexfordians and indeed Irish emigrants throughout the U.S., could take pride in the honour and accomplishments of a man like Art.

The evening featured moving video tributes to Art sent over from Wexford by Captain of the 1996 All-Ireland hurling team, Martin Storey, and, one of the only other surviving members of the 1950s Wexford team, Ned Wheeler. Ned’s tribute included a line of thanks to Art for making the most courageous save he ever saw to secure a famous win in a game in which Wexford were underdogs. "It was a beautiful thing you did Art, not only for yourself, your teammates but all the Wexford people down the years.’

4 Likes

@bandage

What is going on with the Clonard set up for hurling? Seems they have split the club into football and hurling so now players from other football clubs can play hurling with them.

I thought it was they were continuing as a hurling club only so players from football clubs in Wexford town would have an alternative choice if they don’t want to play with the Harriers.

dont know pal. I thought they were mainly putting the split in at all levels, not just adult, so that the option is there to make sure the Harriers dont get every player going.

“Clonard have ended weeks of speculation by announcing their intention to continue as a hurling club for the 2016 playing season.” - this week’s Wexford People.

It’s a bit confusing because permission has always existed for Clonard to operate separate hurling and football clubs, but this was previously only adopted at adult level. The club itself had a policy whereby underage players had to play both hurling and football with Clonard.

Now they’re saying that they’re continuing as a hurling club only (I think) at both underage and adult level and will therefore be open to having playing members at both levels who are currently members of other Wexford town football clubs.

Theyre still shit.

yeah I was finding it confusing myself, just thought you would have the inside news on it, being such an ardent fan of the club.

Wexford: P Murphy; J Rossiter, N Rossiter, R Vallejo; B Malone, S Donohoe, T Rossiter; C Kehoe, S Byrne; K O’Grady (0-2), N Hughes, P O’Connor; B Brosnan, J Carty (1-0), S Ryan. Subs: B Power for O’Gray; R Tierney for O’Connor; J Connors for Vallejo; P Curtis for Hughes.

Who’s the P. Curtis chaps? I’m only familiar with one P. Curtis and he’s nearly as old as @Gman,

Paul Curtis, also from Clongeen. Was a minor about 4 years ago or so. Think he is cousins with Pauric.

cheers…im slowly getting out of touch. We played them a couple of times in the last four years and i cant recall that many outstanding players…

yeah as far as I know he was played as a utility type player for them, filling gaps. I have seen him play at school/county in the half forward line and as a third midfielder type role but Clongeen have been naming him at corner back for a lot of their games.

Brian Malone and Anthony Masterson are captain and vice-captain respectively for the season ahead.

Yesterday’s Wexford People revealed that Clonard had another EGM or maybe their AGM last week, elected a completely new top table and vowed to continue playing in both codes.

It’s not like it it going to effect any championship or anything…

Whether they’re dual, single code or cease to exist might have a knock-on impact on the Wexford town transfer merry-go-round though.

how many good clubs are in town at present?

one in each code?

and transfers have to be in at the end of the month too dont they? Can never understand how Wexford town has so much movement. Is there any particular reason for it?