Wexford GAA 2016

this was with amalgam teamā€¦playing bannow, we need a recent acquisition of Connagh in goal.

you were wing forward maybe? having moved form in between the sticksā€¦

A good solid full back or wing forward usually. And never a free taker.

We did the same in underage soccer as well except we had a few lads on rotation whoā€™d play with us all using the same name. Was awful confusing if you got the same ref in those games and the lads were getting booked. Thankfully most of the Wexford soccer refs were usually drunk or hungover so theyā€™d not copped on that 3 different lads booked over the course of 4-5 games all had the same name. Either that or they didnā€™t give a shit.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œMac, post:78, topic:21508, full:trueā€]

Ah it happened a bit at U14 and U16 where we might have had a lad or 2 playing under a different name but only in his first year out of that age group and never in a game of any importance (we werenā€™t good enough to get to a game of any importance in reality) as it would probably have been known to the opposition

Yeah they were the prime years for such shenanigans.

really? I dont remember that at all. Hurling or football? We had a good team in 2000 which was from the minor side and Castletown beat us.

Like you said earlier, tis grand when youā€™re not good enough for others to care I guess. Much the same way in our instances.

Reminds me, I hurled abroad once under an assumed name and when the referee came to book me I had to quickly flip the hurl to see where Iā€™d written the name of the guy I was pretending to be. Good times.

it was u21 anyway.

Yeah we had a good one in 03 or 04 lost the u21 premier to shels

probably one for a discussion over a pint and trying to think back over the years I reckon! I definitely dont recall it anyway, and I would have thought when you were 16 that was when we won the district minor in hurling and I dont think the import into connagh was on that minor panel in either football or hurling. May look at the photo in the clubhouse!

Harry potter is in that photoā€¦

I was probably 17 if thatā€™s the case, it was a shit day anyway.

1 Like

I think we beat Carlow in the Walsh Cup today because I saw a tweet about us facing Offaly in the semi-final at a Wexford venue next Sunday. Anyone know the score? I believe the final is being played in Croke Park before a Dublin football league game so nice incentive to beat Offaly now.

1:27-0:7. Wasnā€™t at it. Iā€™m nearly sure thatā€™s a double bill with either Dublin vs Kerry if we get into the final, lovely incentive. Offaly beat Kilkenny u21 team managed by Eddie Brennan.

1 Like

Does anyone know when the club league/championship draw is ? This time last year it was drawn and all, no word even about it yet from any media strand I see.

I usually donā€™t put much pass on walsh cup matches but it would be great if Wexford beat Offaly and get a run out there.

I read somewhere that jack o Connor has ruled himself out due to exams. I was chatting to one of the Martins lads and they were saying his thumb is still not right from an injury a few years back.

Martins tend to fuck about I hear when it comes to playing lads when they shouldnā€™t be too much.

1 Like

Heā€™s a good young player with plenty of decent attributes but heā€™s also being built up too much. There was a spell where Liam Griffin mentioned him as one to watch every time he was interviewed in the national press. Heā€™s combative, athletic, forceful, good striker of the ball but heā€™s got plenty to work on too. Heā€™s prone to ball watching and needs to improve his defensive awareness significantly. Both Breheny for Galway in the 2014 U21 semi-final and Nash for Limerick in the 2015 U21 final drifted off him for a lot of scores. If he can work away at his game at college and club level then heā€™ll definitely be in the shake up next year. A midfield role might ultimately suit him best.

1 Like

Yeah bang on would agree with all that, decent prospect but a lot to learn.

Ex Irish international basketballer Tim McCarthy added as defence coach for the footballers. McCarthy known for his commentary on the Olympic basketball on RTƉ and Sunday Game commentary also. Power impressed by him so far. Hopefully itā€™s the key to getting us out of division four and turning over Kildare on May 30th in Croker.

#boomshakalaka!

3 Likes

Saw him on the line against Carlow IT, he seemed to spend the whole match giving instructions to the players, very hands on.

The man is a stone cold legend

In relation to John Mullane

He goes right
He goes left
He shakes
He bakes
He puts it over the bar

2 Likes

Jackie Cahill was saying on The 42 heā€™s defence coach. Following in the steps of the Dubā€™s by getting in a basketball coach.