Wexford GAA 2018

GAA Team Bus Driver Parks Near Fire Station But Does Not Block Entrance :rofl:

Some crowd here in Parnell Park. Thank goodness I’ve been seated since 12.25pm.

11-8 down at half time after playing with the breeze.

McDonald got 2 good opening points from play then missed an easy free (why’s he still taking them?).

We then gave them two points from frees from getting caught in possession in our own half back line (Nolan and Murphy).

Morris made it 3-2 from a free before they scored 4 in a row. Helped by us again. Ryan getting a hand pass intercepted after accepting a short puck out etc.

Paidi Foley got 3 points for us - 1 long range free, 1 from play and 1 ‘65 - and he’s having a good battle with Sutcliffe who got a great point for them.

Dunbar and Kevin Foley got our final 2 points of the half but Dublin added the last two overall to lead 11-8.

I’m alright with the first touch mistakes and passes being a bit off at this early stage of the season but it looks bad when we give up soft scores from it.

Conversely we’ve looked good and slick at times when the moves have been knitted together. Some good diagonal passes with a runner taking the next hand pass coming across on the opposite diagonal etc.

Quite an experimental team with O’Hanlon, Chin, O’Keeffe and some others left out. Nobody’s really impressing that much for us though. Is Lee Chinjured? He was listed as a sub in the programme but the PA said somebody else would be taking his jersey.

Good, tough, committed exchanges overall.

1 Like

Good win after, who impressed?

We scored 1-10 without reply to go from 15-10 down to 1-20 to 0-15 up after their full forward Winters was sent off on a second yellow card for a needless little dig after a battle for possession by the end line.

In truth it changed the game completely as we had started the second half sloppily. Reck gave a point away for throwing a hand pass, Maddock dispossessed going down to rise the ball etc.

Damien Reck playing as the spare man pretty much changed the game and he went forward to set up Dunbar for a brilliantly finished goal to bring it back to 0-15 to 1-11. Dunbar also knifed a couple of points - one after an outrageous McDonald catch and hand pass back over his head as he landed on his back.

Morris was good at this point too in winning ball, pointing frees and scoring one or two himself. The backs got completely on top with the numerical advantage and Dublin ran out of steam a bit. P Foley and Murphy did very well and K Foley started to come more into it. We started to get more space and play the short and cross field stick passes to free men and point attempts from distance began to go over. Jack O’Connor also got through a lot of work from right half forward in the second half.

Guiney (who came on at half time) and (I think) K Foley both got a couple of points from midfield after we worked the ball upfield from defence and we eased away from them pretty comfortably. Liam Ryan went off at half time for Eoin Moore and Joe O’Connor was replaced by Guiney. Molloy, Firman, O’Regan and possibly Flood came on late enough.

I think the sending off changed the complexion of the game and we probably shouldn’t read too much into the result. That said, it’s a tremendous opportunity to claim Walsh Cup revenge on Kilkenny after they pipped us in the semi-final in New Ross last year.

6 Likes

How accurate was Morris on frees @Bandage?

Think he was 4/4. Two were 21s and the others were only moderately difficult. Nothing too testing. P Foley is a very good long range free taker so we should be better from 65s and further out this season - he got 1 free from midfield and a 65. Guiney drove one long range free well wide late on too.

1 Like

Wexford: 1. Mark Fanning (Glynn-Barntown), 2. Damien Reck (Oylgate-Glenbrien), 3. Liam Ryan(Rapparees), 4. Simon Donohoe (Shelmaliers), 20. Aaron Maddock (St Martins), 5. Shaun Murphy (Oulart the Ballagh), 7. Paudie Foley (Crossabeg-Ballymurn),8. Kevin Foley (Rapparees),9. Jack O’Connor (St Martins), 21. Joe O’Connor (St Martins), 13. Cathal Dunbar (Ballygarrett), 11. Aidan Nolan (Half Way House Bunclody), 14. David Dunne (Davidstown-Courtnacuddy), 15. Conor McDonald (Naomh Eanna), 12. Paul Morris (Ferns St Aidans)

Subs: 27. Eoin Moore (Oulart the Ballagh) for Liam Ryan (ht), 23. Jack Guiney (Rathnure) for Joe O’Connor (48), 25. Jake FIrman (St Martin’s) for Paul Morris (64), 18. Eoin Molloy (Naomh Eanna) for Simon Donohoe (65), 10. Michael O’Regan (Glynn-Barntown) for Conor McDonald (68), 24. Conal Flood for Jack O’Connor (68), 19. Garry Molloy (Naomh Eanna) for AAaron Maddock (69). 22. Liam Rashford for Cathal Dunbar (71)

Wexford Scores: Paul Morris 0-6 (0-4f), Cathal Dunbar 1-1, Paudie Foley (0-1f, 0-1 65), Kevin Foley and Jack Guiney 0-3 each, Conor McDonald and David Dunne 0-2 each, Harry Kehoe 0-1.

Where did you get that from? Harry Kehoe wasn’t playing and didn’t come on. Is Liam Rashford anything to Marcus?

1 Like

From your favourite Wexford satire / non satire FB page

Great prose and punctuation here.

1 Like

Is Eoin Conroy gone from the panel bud?

Think so. At least I recall him being one of the names mentioned back in November as either being dropped or having stepped away himself.

Has he regressed or was he not good anyway, wasn"t he captain of the U21s that lost to Limerick in the AI

Possibly a bit of both. I forgot he was actually the captain of that U21 side in 2015 but, even at that level, I wouldn’t have had him down as a definite future senior regular. He was corner back on the side that year. I also recall him unsuccessfully trying to do a man marking job on Tony Kelly in the U21 final the year before out in the half back line after having a very good campaign up to the final.

He was playing as a roving half forward for Gorey last season rather than an orthodox defender - beaten by eventual champions St Martin’s in the semi. They have a couple of promising young defenders coming through (Molloy x2 featured today for Wexford) and other solid club defenders so might have felt they needed more help for McDonald upfront.

1 Like

As an aside, I think you’ve asked me about Conroy before @Mullach_Ide. I hope I haven’t just been too harsh on your nephew or your best friend’s son or something.

I was just about to qualify, he would be a relation but distant enough.

2 Likes

Just checked and 7 of the starting team who were annihilated by Limerick in that 2015 U21 Final (0-26 to 1-7) started for our seniors today.

Simon Donohoe, Liam Ryan, Padraig Foley, Jack O’Connor, Kevin Foley, Cathal Dunbar and Conor McDonald. Jake Firman came on as a sub in both games too.

1 Like

“We received the form over the weekend but we will not be signing it. We will be opposing the application to transfer to Naomh Eanna. We dispute the fact that he’s living in Gorey. This is a crazy situation and we will be doing everything possible to keep the player. Naomh Eanna have five to six players in the Wexford squad, so they hardly need another inter-county player. We have asked him to give us one more year to help get out of Intermediate A. It’s not an easy grade to get promoted out of. We have approached Cathal but he’s not for turning.It would be a savage blow to us to lose him at this stage. It’s very disappointing as we have always looked after the player. It will possibly go to the CCCC who will determine a process to deal with the application.”

Brendan Furlong reporting on Cathal Dunbar’s transfer request to N/E. Surely Ballygarret didn’t need to go to the media with this.

I’d say the media went to them rather than them going to the media.

but can you blame them? Coach a player all his life, captain of the team and they get relegated and the first thing he does is ask for a transfer 5 miles down the road to the senior club for no legitimate reason. He isnt and wont be living in Gorey.

1 Like