Wexford GAA 2024

With your own favoured end to warm up in.

Yeah I think the Leinster quarter-final defeat to Kildare was played in Dr. Cullen that year. A Saturday evening game on TV.

1 Like

Drew there, played them in the park with double header with the game that must not be namedā€¦

Double header was the first day, absolutely shocking dayā€¦

1 Like

Oh shit yeah.

As much as I despise the cunts, fair play to the Josephā€™s, they raised about ā‚¬24,000 for Stephen Brosnanā€™s testicular cancer appeal.

Any word on what this years Wexford u20s are like??

Donā€™t think they were overly impressive in challenge games, missing 2 or 3 starters with injury tomorrow, probably 4th favourites for Leinster after Offaly, Galway and Kilkenny. 7 starters left from last year but 2 of them injured not in the team tomorrow.

1 Like

Disappointing final 20 minutes in the game today but a reasonable effort overall. Dealt well with the Eoin Porter black card, only to go and concede two penalties with the full compliment back on the pitch. Frustrating to see Sam Mulroy acting like cock off the walk after heā€™d been completely nullified in open play. Donā€™t think he scored from play.

Attention now turns to the hurling. Itā€™s time that we start picking our 15 for Dublin next Sunday in Chadwicks Wexford Park. Iā€™m going to opt for

1. Mark Fanning (Glynn-Barntown)
  2. Shane Reck (Oylgate-Glenbrien)
  3. Conor Foley (Horeswood)
  4. Simon Donohoe (Shelmaliers)
  5. Charlie McGuckin (Naomh Eanna)
  6. Damien Reck (Oylgate-Glenbrien)
  7. Matthew Oā€™ Hanlon (St James)
  8. Dee Oā€™ Keefe (St Annes)
  9. Conor Hearne (Shelmaliers)
  10. Jack Oā€™ Connor (St Martins)
  11. Lee Chin (Faythe Harriers)
  12. Rory Oā€™ Connor (St Martins)
  13. Richie Lawlor (Faythe Harriers)
  14. Seamus Casey (Oylgate-Glenbrien)
  15. Cian Byrne (Fethard)

Itā€™s perhaps a slight bit presumptive of me that Chin and ROC will be back from injury but the news is promising for both. The Dublin game comes a week too early for Liam Ryan perhaps but heā€™ll be a huge addition whenever he returns. Conor Mc, Connal Flood and Oisin Foley are notable absentees through injury too. Maybe Iā€™m a slight bit harsh on Kevin Foley dropping him to the bench but I was very impressed by Hearneā€™s industrious performance against Waterford. Cathal Dunbar (*Ballygarret) could be an effective impact sub, as could Mikey Dwyer. Anyone here picking former Kilkenny underage keeper Aaron Duggan ahead of Fanning?

2 Likes

Donā€™t think Dee Oā€™Keeffe is close to playing based on Rossiterā€™s comments on The Wexford Hurling Podcast last week. Kinda saying heā€™s back doing some light running with the group & is ahead of schedule but not ready to play. Iā€™ll wait until midweek to pick my first starting lineup of the year.

Yeah I was thinking it might be too soon for him alright. In that case Iā€™ll slot Kevin Foley in at midfield. Looking at the schedule we have our three most challenging games up first before finishing with relatively serene trips to Carlow and Kilkenny.

1 Like

Mcguckian hasnā€™t really impressed. Played wing forward against waterford. Murphy of ferns did OK during the league. Might slot in corner back with shane reck following Burke around.

Thatā€™s true. Seems to have kicked on a bit this year after acclimatising to senior inter-county last season. The fact that he didnā€™t see much game time against Cork in the final league game might be in his favour. Eoin Ryan could be another option at corner-back.

Think McGuckian is too light for an IC half back. Think he would be there to be exposed.

Someone told me Murphy did his ACL? Might be wrong. He is miles better than Donohoe

Charlie is about 6ā€™2 and 14 stone of near pure muscle. If thatā€™s classed as too light then the game must be utterly fucked

When did you hear that about Murphy? that would very recent if true, as of the middle of last week the only injuries were Liam Ryan and Dee aswel as Oisin Foley out for the year.

Fanning

Donohoe
Conor Foley
Niall Murphy

Shane Reck ( man mark Donal Burke)
Damien Reck
Oā€™Hanlon

Hearne
Kevin Foley

Jacko
Chin
Liam og

Richie Lawlor
Seamus Casey
Rory Oā€™Connor

3 Likes

Mark Fanning

Shane Reck
Conor Foley
Simon Donoghue

Matt Oā€™Hanlon
Damien Reck
Cian Molloy

Kevin Foley
Conor Hearne

Corey Byrne Dunbar
Lee Chin
Jack Oā€™ Connor

Seamus Casey
Conor Mac
Richie Lawlor

I donā€™t see Rory O or Liam og starting. I think both will have a huge say on the outcome. There good options off the bench.

Cian Molloy is a great bit of stuff and i think heā€™s ready to start. I wasnā€™t overly impressed with Charlie Mcguckian in the league at half back which is a pity because he had played so well there for Gorey.

Corey Byrne Dunbar i think has a good chance of starting, perhaps lads might think hes too light etcā€¦ but heā€™s a really nice hurler.

2 Likes

I think missing the last 3 league games with injury might count against Molloy, Iā€™d agree with you heā€™s a chap with serious potential.

1 Like