Wexford v Galway July 2nd

I’ve a Wexford born TFK member in private contact with me and he thinks we’ll ship a heavy beating on Sunday. Unfortunately I haven’t finished* my official match preview but my view is summed up by this:

*started

1 Like

I’ll be wearing my faithful Wexford cap on Sunday so please say hello if you see me.

7 Likes

How will we recognise you if you hide the forehead under that?

The Leinster council do this regularly, its poor form but not out of character

Tis some cup to be fair .

I really hope I get the chance to draw a few boots on it come Sunday evening, as is the tradition down our way.

12 Likes

Your boy Jackie Tyrrell is very good here.

I spent a bit of time trying to figure out why we’re shipping so many goals with a sweeper before hitting on the same conclusion. As Tyrrell alludes to in the piece, corner back Simon Donohoe was making lung bursting Frank McGlynn / Ryan McHugh type bursts forward against Kilkenny to support the attack. He, and the other defenders, can do this because Shaun Murphy as the spare defender has the responsibility and game intelligence to slot in and cover for them when one of them goes forward.

Larry o Gorman has lovely writing.

There is now a smaller cup for the Leinster SHC .

Was this as evident against Tipp in the League? I know Ryan got the goal at the end but I can’t remember if that was just because the game was up and everyone was out of position or if it was like what Tyrell alludes to with O’Hanlon. I can’t remember much else about the Tipp game other than their goals cutting us apart at the back.

Olli Canning on Newstalk now

It’s been apparent in all games I’ve been at but to a varying degree depending on the ebb and flow of the game and how much possession we’ve had and/or the pressure our defence has been under.

O’Keeffe got forward an awful lot against Tipperary but not so much the other defenders. Donohoe adds more going forward than, say, Devereux (though both will probably play on Sunday) and his surges forward come from corner back rather than the half back line. It’s gas really - a corner back who gets exposed a bit defensively but becoming a key attacking component.

What’s the commentators eye telling you for this one?

Wexford by 6-9 inclusive.

yeah there seems to be the lock down type defenders who rarely play the ball (Deveroux/Breen) and then the rampaging backs who’s defensive duties seem secondary to playing the ball (Donohoe/O Keefe). As I noted previously, O Hanlon was lining up on the opposition 45 for our puck outs at times, in a wing forward/centre forward position. It explains a lot why we concede goals, so I suppose the point about Wexford playing an extra defender gets lost in so much as it is actually an attacking tactic rather than an all out blanket defensive type tactic.

1 Like

Fuck it, sure once we score more than them then it doesn’t matter what we concede

well I think thats the point too. It depends on your outlook of the game. Is it to score more than the opposition or to concede less?

For what its worth, I think we will lose Sunday, maybe 3-5 points or so. That it’ll be similar to the Tipp league game in that we’ll always be chasing and close enough, but never actually getting ahead (without the landslide of goals at the end to end it as a contest)

Galway have lost to the only good team they’ve played this season. They also lost to Kilkenny. :laughing:

I know we lost to Kilkenny in the Walsh Cup too but we destroyed them twice since. Both teams’ results against Tipperary are a complete anomaly. Wexford lost the match but irreparably damaged the All Ireland champions in the process and they’re no longer a good team.

Galway are soft All Ireland favourites. Going further back, they were unable to secure promotion from 1B and were on their way out of the league to Waterford’s reserves until big Derek McGrath, who was trying to throw the game by virtue of his team selection, brought on a few of his first choice players to ensure that his instructions were carried out.

You can’t read anything into Galway’s dismantling of an abject Limerick side x2 and I’ve covered the Tipp game already.

Moving onto championship, Dublin under Cunningham is like taking on Wexford under Bonnar - enough said. And as for poor Offaly…

I’m not saying Galway don’t have a chance on Sunday and I wouldn’t totally discount them mullocking their way to victory based on their size and strength advantage. But I think Wexford will be too fast, fluent, athletic, skilful and tactically aware for them.

As I say, Wexford by 6-9. It could actually be a blow out victory for us like the Dublin-Galway final from 2013.

4 Likes

Correct scoreboard separation, wrong victor.

1 Like