Wexford V Kilkenny Leinster S.H.C Semi Final, 7pm Saturday 10th June, Innovate Wexford Park

Complete fucking chokers.

Enjoy your beer. Donā€™t choke on it.

Never seen KK so bad in a championship game. 3 points flattered them hugely

That was fucking wonderful.

5 Likes

Cody has to go home and face the wife now. Sheā€™s a long suffering Buffers Alley woman.

@Your_Mums_Athletic, great shout. Hope you made a fortune

Okay guys, great to get the win but weā€™ve still much more in the tank (I hope anyway) and can cut down on errors. Donā€™t want to nitpick though as it was superb to get the win.

Took us ages to get our defensive alignment sorted early on. Think Fennelly starting full forward surprised us and I donā€™t think anyone liked the Devereux/Fennelly match up on the edge of the square. I reckon heā€™d been earmarked to pick him up at wing back/wing forward but we didnā€™t bring Ryan back into him until heā€™d earned a penalty and another close in free. A few players looked uncertain and didnā€™t know whether to follow their designated player or not. Hogan caught a drilled puck out in around 20 yards of space early on at midfield.

Chin was sensational in the second half. Catching the puck out and pointing to push the gap out to two after their two goal burst which brought it back to 1-16 to 3-9 was absolutely pivotal. The subsequent leap and catch which went through Guiney and onto Oā€™Hanlon for the late point was phenomenal. Brilliant from long range placed balls too (which surprised me). As an aside, I did warn pre-match about McDonaldā€™s ugly cack-handed side swipe free taking style - this can lead to shots being pulled like tonight. Thought Guiney put himself about really well too.

Iā€™m a little at a loss to explain how we concede so many goal chances with a sweeper and we also allowed too many untracked runners to progress through the middle. Despite that Iā€™d still maintain Shaun Murphy was very good but he wasnā€™t sweeper throughout either and sometimes it was hard to decipher who the fuck was playing where (especially Oā€™Hanlon). Davy loves that trick of sending half back players forward for puck outs.

James Breen held Reid scoreless from play again (open to correction) but did foul him a couple of times. Heā€™s a really dogged type and must be a complete nuisance to play against. Oā€™Keeffe got through a mountain of work in midfield too and Paul Morris chipped in excellently with crucial scores. We seemed to have the legs on them generally (despite missing searing pace upfront) and I thought we probably deserved to win by more. We had lots of good moments against the wind with quick interchanges and runners pouring through but messed up a lot of them and made hard work of the goal too.

Thereā€™s a raft of players who can do better though, which I guess is a good thing. Iā€™m delighted and I love Davy Fitzgerald.

14 Likes

Happy to give that anti KK rant its 10th like.

Iā€™m not an alias but by fuck Iā€™m tempted to create another Bradley just to givd that post 2 ( two) likes.
Go on ta fuck Wexford.

I had a good cut on the half time. I only had a small bet in the ht/ft. I hope ye enjoy the night fella, thoroughly deserved. The Leinster final is there for ye if ye play with the same intensity.

What about the scribe @Mac?

Iā€™d be slightly concerned about the amount of times Wexford had to resort to just hauling a man down to prevent a goal scoring opportunity. If it was a football match thereā€™d have been 4 or 5 black cards.

Few times communication seemed poor at the back as well, with two Wexford players contesting the same ball and falling over each other.

3 Likes

Early days no?

Ah ya, small enough things in the grand scheme of things, but on another night or against one of the big guns they could have been severely punished.

Imagine how we felt in 2010 !ā€™
5 in a row me bollix.

I wouldnā€™t be getting carried away yet.

For sure, but its great for Wexford to be going on with a lot to work on, and having won the match.

Losing there with those errors would be a right kick in the balls.

Liam Ryan was lucky to be still on the pitch at the end. A few fouls given away after heā€™d been turned. In saying that, himself Been and Donohoe were superb. Ryan, Oā€™Hanlon, Oā€™Keefe and possibly Donohoe all scored points tonight. With all our faffing around in the 2nd half we still scored 1-20 which is very encouraging.

No denying that. McDonald was well marshalled all night too and theyā€™d be hoping to get more from him the next night. Guiney should come on for the run too.

On Guiney, I donā€™t think he scored but his work rate which is normally terrible was ridiculous. He got 2 important hooks in during the 2nd half and played a lovely pass through to McDonald for what was almost a goal but for a savage block from one of the KK backs.

First touch was by and large spot for most Wexford lads. Some lovely interchanges, and the pick up for the goal was superb.