What Climate Crisis?

4 Likes

@Ambrose_McNulty v @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy

Standout bad summers were 1985 and 86 …colder, windy and wet. July this year broke rainfall records yes, but June was good. July 1974 was wet and cold (I remember it …disaster for hay.)
A bit of historical perspective is no harm. Summers 30, 40, 50 years ago were as mixed and varied as the past 10 years. We see things in a narrow prism of recent events. Extreme temperatures here are rare thankfully, although extreme rainfall events do seem to be on the increase.

The Gulf Stream isn’t going anywhere anytime soon….similar claims were probably made in 85/86. Any shift is temporary in nature and is a result of climate influences elsewhere. The system always resets.

1 Like

Thr gulf stream isnt affected by Climate change mate

I didn’t say it was. Did the Guardian article suggest it?

I think this thread relies far too heavily on the evidence of weather in Ireland, what percentage of the global landmass do we make up? We’re clearly not the worst affected.
I won’t preach as I’m very very far from perfect in this respect but it’s nonsensical to deny that we’re likely to experience significant climate change on the planet, I have a lot of faith in science to defend against the worst of it. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I think it was corrected

Agreed but I’m not a denier. It’s the hysteria that gets me. There is a rising global temperature trend that is being laid at the door of carbon emissions. Carbon dioxide causes some warming- that’s accepted by even the most sceptical scientists- but the degree of warming caused by CO2 is what those very same sceptical scientists disagree on. There are many in this camp and I admit to being one. The recent “global boiling” reference takes the biscuit. It’s way over the top.

I think we are going to be just ok.

6 Likes

Results: Worldwide, bivariate correlation analyses revealed that meat intake is positively correlated with life expectancies. This relationship remained significant when influences of caloric intake, urbanization, obesity, education and carbohydrate crops were statistically controlled. Stepwise linear regression selected meat intake, not carbohydrate crops, as one of the significant predictors of life expectancy. In contrast, carbohydrate crops showed weak and negative correlation with life expectancy.

2 Likes

yes, lets just ban beef for now

We taught a lion to eat tofu.

w6que52kohw61

3 Likes

Climate quote of the day:

In 5 years scientists predict we will have the first ice free arctic.” -John Kerry, 2009

Canada today

That happens all the time, if you saw that off Donegal we should be worried alright.

Calm down pet.

Airports never closed due to flooding before the industrial revolution

2 Likes

I think deniers on here take a certain amount of comfort in the global nature of climate change. The feeling that what they do personally doesnt matter. I’d urge the department of transport to mount a slick advertising campaign to boost awareness about personal responsibility in this regard. To emphasise that every time you walk/cycle/use public transport you are helping. Literally, ‘YOUR journey counts’.

Just a thought i had.

I’m sure you could come up with a zany performance for schools on the subject.

I could mate but i think the youth are already won over. It’s curmudgeonly oul cunts like yourself we need to win over. No small task. Im thinking a slick new tv ad campaign. Not fancy virtue signalling that romanticise active travel etc…more gritty jumpcuts of every single journey you might take…walking to school in wind…struggling up steps with a bike etc… YOUR journey counts.

2 Likes