What does "fairly sure" mean?

If a lad says “I’m fairly sure I’ll have 2 stand tickets for you” and then today says that he didn’t get them then does this mean he was talking through his hole or what?

For me, I’m “fairly sure” my car will be at the train station when I get home cos I left it there earlier. It’s a fair assumption to make and I’m also fairly sure that that I’ll make it into town Saturday.
However, I think other people use “fairly sure” as, I have a 1 in 20 chance of getting tickets but I’ll say “fairly sure” to make it seem that I’m in with the lads in the know.

Said fellow is now off the GSH friends list.

People eh.

Yours in ranting and on a non related subject quitly nervous about Jugs and him bringing a snowball to the next “outing”,
GSH.

the same as nearly certain means… depends on how credit worthy said person is

If I used ‘fairly sure’ in that situation Garda the tickets would nearly want to be in my hand. I hate promising tickets for anybody if there’s a chance that I mightn’t get them.

Said fellow should be in the firing line of much abuse.

I empathise with your plight GSH. To me, ‘fairly sure’ equates to ‘almost sure’ and I would have taken it to mean tickets were practically a formality in the context of your own story. So, to come along and say there’s no tickets is a cuntish thing to do. Unless circumstances changed dramatically, and something outside his control happened, I don’t understand why he couldn’t have explained to you that he’d try a few sources but he’d no guarantees and it’d be advisable to continue searching yourself too. I’m fairly sure I’d give him a kick in the balls.

Well there is no explanation only that the 2 tickets are gone, so I believe he was getting them 3rd or 4th hand and that is never “fairly sure”.
I turned down 1 single in favour of 2 together.
However, I’m another friend who said to call after 12 tomorrow and he will let me know if he has tickets or not and he will try till then.
Thats more like it.

Worse than a kick in the balls is being a past friend of GSH. All my current friends will disown him and he will never be trusted again. Silly mistake on his side but I would forgive him sleeping with my Mother quicker than promising tickets and then saying “they’re gone”.

Yours etc,
GSH.

Does this ex-friend have tickets for himself Garda?

I tend to be more reserved in such situations. I’d use terms like “I’ll do my best” and “I’m not certain”. I’m more about playing down expectations. Then if you do come up with something it looks better than practically guaranteeing something and failing.

Exactly. That’s the decent way to approach the thing. Tell them you’ll do your best but don’t promise anything. Then everyone’s happy if you manage to come up trumps. I hate lads scheidting on about their ability to get tickets for big games and promising them left, right and centre before fooking everyone over.

most likely means someelse has promised him the tickets he’s promised you and just a slight bit afraid who has promised him the tickets will let him down…

GSH - do you still need tickets? A lad in here had some going around earlier on but they’re stand ones.

I’ve only once guaranteed tickets- to my now missus for her birthday the first year we were going out.
I said I’d get tickets for the AIFF, Galway v Meath.
I didn’t get tickets pre the day itself but hunted two singles down on the day itself. Redemption.
The only thing was that she hunted 2 down herself having seen what I was doing. Needless to say I knew from that day forward that she was the one for me.

GSH- I’d say there will be loads around, I’m “fairly sure” the missus will get tickets for me and her in school tomorrow (ie they are guaranteed and she is waiting to get them in her hand).

WBY

PM me and I’ll sort it out. I don’t mind stand tickets. I would prefer them. Won’t pay above cost though. Are the seats together?
Brother GSH is over so I don’t want him getting killed for calling everyone a pack of surrender monkeys.

Yours etc,
GSH.

What’s a person’s credit rating or ability to repay borrowings got to do with “fairly sure”?

I’m curious as to how you made the link.

[quote=“Garda Sean Horgan”]PM me and I’ll sort it out. I don’t mind stand tickets. I would prefer them. Won’t pay above cost though. Are the seats together?
Brother GSH is over so I don’t want him getting killed for calling everyone a pack of surrender monkeys.

Yours etc,
GSH.[/quote]

Dont want to piss in Macs soup, if that doesnt work out PM GSH

Fired off a PM there.

Yours in firing of a PM there,
GSH.

seems to be load of idiotball tickets floating around

I guess that today and tomorrow will see lads getting tickets from a variety of sources and then have to get rid of some of them or refuse them.
I got a ticket to the NZ Ireland game (which was awful) in premium stand and cound not even get someone to join me.
That might be becuase of my “interesting” stories and flatulance.
Yours etc,
GSH.

[quote=“Garda Sean Horgan”]I guess that today and tomorrow will see lads getting tickets from a variety of sources and then have to get rid of some of them or refuse them.
I got a ticket to the NZ Ireland game (which was awful) in premium stand and cound not even get someone to join me.
That might be becuase of my “interesting” stories and flatulance.
Yours etc,
GSH.[/quote]

GSH why don’t you just go into fitzgibbon street Garda station and flash your badge…there’s always tickets handed in there for Croker…remember one time i asked a Garda on North circular road before Dublin/Tyrone match a few years ago had he any tickets…he pulled out about 10 and asked what stand i’d prefer!!..

I’m “fairly sure” I don’t have a ticket for Inter v United.

Anyone?

EDIT: sorted now apparently. Although “there will be loads floating about” sounds suspiciously like that “fairly sure” carry on.

The weather might also put people off driving up to Dublin from rural outposts like Limerick and Cork.