What level of Football did you reach?

We used to travel to boxing tournaments all over the country in a builders van,with seats thrown into the back loose not bolted down or anything.Ner a seatbelt to be had.Heading off at 6 on a school night and maybe not home till 3 after treking to Ardree or Armagh city or Derry.Leaving the trophy’s we’d win on the table for the mother to find in the morning before she dragged us out for school.

11 Likes

Oh if they could have found someone to drive us we’d have had no bus…I amnt even sure who our trainer was in hindsight

1 Like

They came out and robbed our dressing rooms once. I tell my brother in law (ex Geraldines) that a fair bit.

The boro purposely kept us out of A. We won the league and cup all the way up to 16s. Bate regional united 7-0 in a cup final. Got out of limerick almost every year in the fai. I still dont know why they did it. I think they didn’t want to compete with pike and fairview

1 Like

We used to lock our dressing room doors.

Ours had a problem in that the showers divided the two dressing rooms so you could go between them :grimacing::man_shrugging:

1 Like

I’m sure I told the story here before but we played in cork city once up across from Apple …north villa or someone I think…we were about 17 the ref was younger than us…

We went one up and parked the bus…10 behind the ball…booted it as far down the road as we could to wind down the clock…they were kicking the legs off us but sure we were culchies it didn’t knock a spark out of us…he had a few if their lads booked 3 or 4 times but he’d look over to his father who would shake the head ie don’t send anyone off and cause a riot…gang of young lads around the pitch on bikes drinking cans at 11 am on a Sunday morning…

Final whistle our only win of the season…their “fans” had put the windows of the dressing room in and directed a hose at full blast in the window soaking our clothes …the best day I ever had playing soccer !

5 Likes

I’ve been going up to the north side for years with various clubs and they’re the solid finest. Everton was the most intimidated i ever was playing a match. There was a pure fucking hatred in them up there.

I had a bad experience in the glen but that was my own doing

2 Likes

The old Garryowen Green was a great place for matches, the top green that is not the one where the pitches are now.
A hostile place to play with the houses surrounding but loved playing there!

1 Like

There was sone great pitches in the Northside, Pophams Field, O’Learys field both had deep paths which ran diagonally across the field, matches often temporarily held up by sone fucker giving a scrambler exhibition., wonky goalposts etc, ‘‘twas all the one to us, we were no softies either

Moyoss pitch by the tracks was the same.

The most intimidating pitch in school boys football by a very wide margin though was star rovers. Fuck me. Something about being in the island.

1 Like

Star was always a tough place to go for sure! Jesus when I think back to those days u10 and u12 down to the green to play the Dines, star, out to Glenagross and Balla up to Hyde Rangers and Pike.
Loved them all

1 Like

Cals park wasnt too bad because of the three pitches. When hyde moved in to the field behind the shops in weston, that was intimidating

1 Like

Visits to Summerville, Aisling and Corbally were more genteel :rofl:

2 Likes

Like a holiday

1 Like

Here @gilgamboa north cork is a spccer hotbed. Mallow are msl and buttevant and donoughmore are premier aul

I know…sure kanturk are MSL now as well they were promoted last season into some higher grade if it .two savage pitches. Young lad plays with them coaching is top notch

Was v disorganised when I was young but they had two good adult teams even then playing under 2 different club names but out of one club, pitch etc .don’t know why they split it in two

1 Like

This thread is like a weird soccer style soggy biscuit game. :weary:

12 Likes

He lasted about 2 months over there. I’d say that must have just before he went over if it was '99. Think himself and Doyle are the same age and would have been only 16 at the time.

1 Like

Once had to play Castleview away on a hoor of a cold Saturday morning in the cup. There were broken bottles on the sidelines and I remember the ref having to clear one goal of a rake of empty cans and bottles.

We went up 1 nil early. Proceeded to get lumps kicked out of us. They’d a few lads who could really play ball. We go in to half time 2-1 down. We all just want to fuck off home at this stage. Sulky goes onto the pitch at half time. Makes shit of the pitch. We all think it is fairly hilarious. Ref has had enough and calls the game off and says he’s going to award us the game. Castleview lads go mental. Their manager has a go at the ref. He’s backed up by his players but then has a change of heart and starts roaring at his own players to cop on. We’re walking off the pitch and all we hear and see is their manager as red as their jerseys f-ing and blinding at his lads. We end up getting battered by Wilton in the next round. Castleview invited us back for a friendly later on in the year but I didn’t play as we’d a hurling game the same day and foreign games were for fitness only according to the GAA club by laws.

3 Likes