What level of Football did you reach?

@Bandage will be delighted to hear Burgers did that to you

1 Like

Some very good GAA players there. I heard Hawkins was incredibly skilled. Darren Stamp played longer than I realised. Thought he turned back from an Irish trial with Brian Kerr and more or less focused on hurling but this info wouldn’t match that.

One of the only goals i remember vividly was against Mary I in a colleges game for UL i think it was freshers. Noel OConnor was after binning me off from Limerick as a 17 year old. I was playing centre mid. I was after getting two quick goals in the first 20 minutes. About 30 in i picked the ball up from a throw in out on the right, beat 3 players and dinked the goalie. I fucking loved that goal. He was like a cunt on the line

3 Likes

Were you born in 1981? I remember playing against a Wexford youths team with some of those players on it. Eric Bradley was a very nice footballer (and GAA from what I remember). Mick Wallace was the manager

Fairly sure Ducker (Hawkins) spent time with Newcastle but struggled being away from home so young. Stamp, Cullen and Gleeson all had trials with clubs and would have been on Leinster squads I think.

It’s just like the Lisbon Lions.

14 Likes

No 82.
I had another year underage.
Was 3 years on that divisional team squad.

3 Likes

Did you play for the oscar traynor in town?

Great thread…just goes to show what is important to young fellas is the kick around…great memories even though we were togging out under a hazel bush, maybe a redundant arctic trailer if you were at one of the rich city clubs

We were shit at soccer but great craic heading off to away matches on the bus. Was only talking about it the other day…regularly enough wed be sent off on the bus with only the driver…no other adult with us :rofl:

6 Likes

That was a comparison we often heard :man_shrugging:

1 Like

No, only played in town for a couple of years after finishing with senior soccer.

1 Like

We often went to matches, 12 or 13 of us in the back of mousie hannons work van :rofl:

A bus. Ye were posh enough yourselves

4 Likes

We played Ballymun one night on the pitch in the middle of the flats, the San Siro. Huge crowd and went to penos after a fiery game. Our winning peno taker kept running behind the goal after he scored and jumped straight into the managers car and the rest of us followed.

8 Likes

One thing I greatly regret is that we’d often run up the score when playing poor teams, there was a lot of divisions in Cork and despite never losing or drawing a league game it was u15 before we were premier,
We often had games called a couple of minutes into the second half and we 14-0 up and still chomping at the bit, pure mean it was

1 Like

My first memory of going to a soccer match was 12 of us all sitting on paint tins in the back of the managers van.

3 Likes

We played against getaldines in Garryowen on the green after the black battery.

We had one sub and the manager had him lying on our gear bags to try stop them robbing them.

We looked over at one stage and he was like brave heart swinging a corner flag

5 Likes

Those type of matches shouldn’t go ahead. It does fuck all for either team.

1 Like

Some cunt with a beard tried to take the head off me with a corner flag after we played St Nessans in a schools game.

1 Like

We should have been put up premier after u12 but I suppose there’s a way of doing things
But the matches had to be played and won

We had paul mcgrath playing for the boro u14s. I swear down he was 18. Forged the birth cert. He got about 80 goals :rofl:

He was 6 2 and like a fucking tank

2 Likes